• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Car Rental Through Auto Europe

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
When checking prices for a car rental next summer I found this interesting paragraph on the AE site:

"An international driver's license is required if your national driver's license is not in Roman script. An IDL is also mandatory, by law, for non-European Union renters except for customers from the following countries: Argentina, Australia,Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Israel, Mexico, New Zealand, South Africa & USA. If stopped by the police while driving without an IDL you might incur a fine & the vehicle may be confiscated for 3 months.In this case, Hertz reserves the right to charge you the non-waivable excess amount."

The text highlighted in red is what I find puzzling. First of all, what exactly is Roman script? Secondly, this says that an IDP is NOT required for customers from the USA, which is different from years past.
Any comments or advice?

Additionally, booking thru the Canadian site resulted in an $87 savings for this rental in Italy, but the rates for rentals in England were virtually the same on both the Canadian and US sites.

Last edited:
I think Roman script just means the alphabet you're used to, the one used by European countries (as opposed to Chinese, for instance). The IDL may not be required by the rental company, but might be very good to have if you have to deal with traffic police. Why not just get the IDL and then you won't have to think about it?

We've always gotten an IDL, using the same reasoning you did, Chris: altho the rental car company doesn't require it, it IS required by law in Italy. The above quote from AE specifically states that an IDL is NOT required by law, so I was just wondering if something has changed.

I also think the "Roman script" phrase is bizarre - English, Italian, German, French, Spanish, etc etc all use Roman script, as opposed to the Cyrillic alphabet, or Chinese characters, but that certainly doesn't make them universally understood! I think I'[ll call AE, just to see what they say!

They are talking about a license, not a permit which is what we get (the IDP, or International Driving PERMIT)
I am not sure what an international driver's license is but it looks like a lot of countries need to get it.
Maybe it is the same thing to them, let us know what you find out Barb. From my discussions lately with the people who answer the phone there, I doubt they even know what they are talking about.

I remember when I was a teen traveling to Europe with my parents, my Father had to have an International Driver's License, it was different from the AAA IDL we get now - my dad had to take a test back then

We drive on UK licenses now and don't need an IDP for Italy or France!

Imagine taking a test for driving in another country on vacation!! In the past, in England, people did not have to take tests to drive. That is probably the case in many countries.

I think it has to do with the police understanding the writing. Roman script they understand but if your license is in Arabic they won't be able to decipher it. I just got the permit or license( I think they're the same) from CAA. AAA in the US. You don't take a test. you just show your current license to them, pay a small fee and it's done. It has a huge list of countries it's good for in every conceivable language so if you're stopped, the police can read it. I guess. Good for 1 year. I got it for our extended stay in the UK where I didn't drive at all. Nor did anyone ever ask to see Ron's. But I think it's good to have anyway.
I wouldn't trust someone at AE to know. I would just get it.

From my experience i agree with user Lisa on this.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina