• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Carlux, anyone?

chachalaca

100+ Posts
This is pretty last minute but on Saturday we will be in the Carlux area for a few days. I know several of you have a lot of experience in that area. Can anyone suggest a great place to... have dinner? ...have lunch? ...buy picnic supplies? We will miss market day, so are relying on your generous help. Thank you in advance,
Laura

Have you looked up the Bienvenue-à-la-ferme network near Carlux ?
These are farms that have side business as a part-time restaurant and/or butcher or charcutier or veg/fruit vendor, selling their own farm products.
Near you I only know

Auberge du Cantou in Ste Mondane

Auberge des Marthres in Salignac.

Both are near you. The food is not super-sophisticated but is super-fresh. And They are a great source for buying foie gras and rillettes. And also duck grease or goose greases which we loveto cook wth (and is healthy fat !)

If you go west toward the cluster of Plus Beaux Villages around Sarlat, one wonderful ferme-auberge in a nearby village is
L'Auberge de Layotte in Tursac. I recmmended it to Kathy who has been bringing her groups there and they've always loved it.

Merci! Perfect resources...again! I will check these out now. I appreciate your time and sharing. -Laura

EDITED to tell Parigi that upon checking out the sites I see that we HAVE dined at the Auberge les Marthres on your suggestion (!) when we stayed in Salignac long ago!

Last edited:
Not a ferme-auberge, but certainly one of our favorite restaurants in the area-- La Belle Etoile in La Roque-Gageac. http://hotel-belle-etoile-dordogne.fr/. Great for dinner, but I think our favorite is a long, leisurely lunch on the terrace -- assuming it's not too cold since we're there in May or October. Shouldn't be a problem for you in July! Enjoy, Laura!

Ann! Thank you! I should have remembered this. I will add it to the list and try to reserve for Monday-bad day, but I’ll try!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina