• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Charity Shops

Lisa in Ottawa

500+ Posts
I'm amazed at the number of shops selling used goods here. The quality is excellent. Oxfam which stated in Oxford(duh I never connected the name with the town) is ubiquitous. But there are so many others. I wonder if there is a histoical reason why England( or is it all of the UK) has so many. And everyone shops in them. Last night at a lecture I overheard several well heeled women discussing which were the best. I perked up my ears.
Now I'd like to go on a tour of various ones outside Oxford.

Ron is even checking them out. He found a pair of shoes for 8 pound that retail for well over 300. He had them resole and polished and they look great.

We were amazed as well at the number of shops in any one town, often next door to one another or across the street, throughout our travels. Further, the ones that I had the time to check out had tons of really nice items for sale. Which begs the question, where does all this come from? Do patrons regularly change their wardrobes whether at the regular retail shops or charity shops? Like your idea of creating a "shopping at charity shops" tour. Considering costs and such this just could be a winner;) I have heard of tours developed by decorators /designers to say the various types of markets in Paris particularly for antiques. They also head to Provence. And generally cost a fortune. Does this open up a whole new source of income? A reason to return - quite possibly.

The change in the business model for these types of stores is interesting and obviously successful. Often the simplest of ideas make the most sense.

Congrats on Ron finding those shoes. BTW, even if your boots are a little too big, a find like that is not easily given up. Put some tissue in the toes:D!

They have always been quite a popular feature - a way to dispose of unwanted goods in a way that benefits others. It was always a popular volunteer job, a small commitment of a few hours a week in a sociable setting. The previous method - jumble or rummage sales that were the joy of my vintage retro hunting youth - have really fallen out of fashion.

There has been a huge mushrooming in the numbers of them in the past decade - given a boost by the numbers of independent shops on the High Street declining as the supermarkets and out of town shopping centres boomed and then by the various economic reverses and the subsequent failures of other shops. The charity shops are inexpensive to set up, no stock costs, little staff costs and, much to the chagrin of normal traders, they pay no business rates ( local taxes on businesses) which can be very high.

The charity shops are also a great place to pick up used books very cheaply... nice to have some inexpensive reading material while traveling!
Yes, I got a great detective novel by Susan Hill. It seemed brand new. However, some of the shops don't accept books. I'm planning on recycling some of my clothing before we leave. Make room for new stuff either from ere or Rome. Or just to divest and have less to lug around.

Which shops were those, Lisa? The books are seen by most as a encouragement to tempt people in who might not otherwise enter. There are some book only charity shops - Oxfam have them and we have a large one run by Fara near us.

I took five bags of items to my favoured children's hospice charity shop yesterday - a parking space opened up outside, fortunately ! Three bags were books - we are redecorating and thus having a sort out, and the overflow bookcase in the office was groaning. My husband took some in to an informal book club/ lending library they have set up at his office ( nice idea, that, btw) and the rest had failed our reread/will get round to/classic/ sentimental attachment test !

When we moved into an unfurnished rental I picked up little odds and ends at charity shops. Vases, trays, some plates - stuff that you don't want to spend real money on.

Another reason they are better here than in the US is that they are smaller. The vastness of the Goodwill used to be overwhelming. Here I can wander in and have a quick look around.

They used to be happy hunting grounds for unnoticed rarities and vintage items but the management is much more savvy now . We noticed an old copy of a Rupert Bear storybook in the window of one recently - my elder daughter's favourite as a three year old. My husband thought it would be nice to buy it for her until he looked more closely and saw a £30 price tag !

While in London on the w/e I checked the charity shops. It's become my thing. I was looking for a simple black pencil skirt. Nothing. I didn't buy a thing. Today while shopping at the Summertown Sunday market,I did my usual. Checked the shops. And found a Max Mara, made in Italy, lined woolen skirt. I bought it and hope it doesn't go the way of my fancy boots which is recycled back. Of course, now I want boots to go with the skirt. Not going to happen.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina