• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

ChatGPT: What is Slow Travel?

I think the world is trying out ChatGPT 4. It ground to a halt when I asked for a 2-week itinerary for a slow travel trip to Europe.

So far it suggested 3 nights Amsterdam, 3 nights Bruges, 3 nights Paris, fly (!!) to Barcelona for 3 nights there, ending with 2 nights in the Cinque Terre. That was where it stopped. Probably an inner conflict with slow travel and flying. Not very inventive.

Interesting article - thank you @Pauline. In Italy now and not paying much attention to the news :). Learning more about this technology (occupational hazard) it seems poised to be a revolutionary change with both positive and not so positive aspects.

Well I don’t think that ChatGPT is going to do away with travel forums. Look at this ridiculous itinerary it created.

==========
Sure, here's an itinerary for a 2-week trip to Italy this summer focused on seeing Roman ruins:

Day 1-3: Rome

• Visit the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, and the Palatine Hill
  • See the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain, and the Spanish Steps
  • Visit the Vatican City, including St. Peter's Basilica and the Sistine Chapel
Day 4-5: Pompeii

• Take a train to Naples and then a local train to Pompeii
  • Explore the ancient city of Pompeii and see the well-preserved ruins
Day 6-8: Ostia Antica

• Take a train from Rome to Ostia Antica
  • Explore the ancient port city of Ostia Antica, which was an important trading center in ancient Rome
Day 9-10: Herculaneum

• Take a train from Rome to Naples and then a local train to Herculaneum
  • Explore the well-preserved ruins of Herculaneum, which was destroyed by the same eruption that buried Pompeii
Day 11-13: Florence

• Take a train from Naples to Florence
  • Visit the Uffizi Gallery, the Accademia Gallery, and the Duomo
  • See the Ponte Vecchio and the Piazza della Signoria
Day 14: Rome

• Return to Rome and visit any sites you missed or want to see again
  • Spend the evening in the Trastevere neighborhood, known for its narrow streets and lively nightlife
I hope you enjoy your trip to Italy!

=========

Rome to Naples, back to Rome, back to Naples. Then Florence. Then Rome.

We get spammers regularly on the forums. Since a first post goes to the approval queue, I get to review them and clean out the spammers. Usually their posts are short and badly written. Sometimes they have links that they are paid for, sometimes no links so they can get into the forum and spam it later.

Spammers are now using ChatGPT to create posts. Previously they would copy information from other websites. Here is today’s example. This guy says he is from Italy, but his IP address is Pakistan. Plus the user name is a giveaway.

93C9CFD0-553A-4690-9436-EC6806FCBEA1.png

928F6884-3709-476B-A9E8-7D62D4DB980B.png

Hi Pauline, just this evening the NBC national news here in the USA did a brief segment on AI planned trips. You might be able to watch it online, but it was only a 5 minute segment.

They used AI to plan an itinerary in Rome. The reporter brought a seasoned local guide with her. The itinerary did OK, but there were a couple faults. The itinerary went right through the day and on to 4 AM. Another thing it didn't warn about was one needs to get tickets in advance when going to the Colosseum.

The two sites that were mentioned were iplan.ai and usevacay.com. They contacted both sites and both said they are working on improvements.

Just thought I would mention it. At this point I have no plan to use any AI site, just my HI between my ears! :D

Every day I read about advances in AI. I think there are now travel apps that use AI. I still use ChatGPT (the free version) but articles are saying that Bard from Google is better and free.

And now there are AI robots! We are living in the future!

VANCOUVER, BC, Canada, May 16, 2023 - Sanctuary AI, a company on a mission to create the world’s-first human-like intelligence in general-purpose robots, announced a major step forward with the unveiling of its sixth-generation general-purpose robot named Phoenix™. Phoenix is the world’s first humanoid general-purpose robot powered by Carbon™, a pioneering and unique AI control system, designed to give Phoenix human-like intelligence and enable it to do a wide range of work to help address the labor challenges affecting many organizations today. Sanctuary has been able to show that its technology is already capable of completing hundreds of tasks identified by customers from more than a dozen different industries.

Phoenix is the world’s first humanoid general-purpose robot powered by Carbon™, a pioneering and unique AI control system, designed to give Phoenix human-like intelligence and enable it to do a wide range of work to help address the labor challenges affecting many organizations today. Sanctuary has been able to show that its technology is already capable of completing hundreds of tasks identified by customers from more than a dozen different industries.
Strange : I checked their website to take a look at this do-it-all robot. They don't have a single video of it performing any type of task whatsoever. All hype? Why aren't they showing what this technology is capable of? Or am I just missing something....

They have a video on that page but it only shows it flexing its fingers. But there is another one showing it doing tasks.

Overview video.

View: https://youtu.be/k2GhgO7SnZQ

Showing tasks.

View: https://youtu.be/Q10A8Zkfd_M

This whole explosion of AI things baffles me.

ChatGPT just announced their app.

Bing has an AI app too.

And there is Google Bard.

I have also discovered Bard! Love it. However at the moment it doesn't support images.. I guess it will at some stage.

Slow travel is an approach to travel that emphasizes connection: to local people, cultures, food and music. It relies on the idea that a trip is meant to educate and have an emotional impact, in the present moment and for the future, while remaining sustainable for local communities and the environment . It is a way of traveling that allows you to take your time and enjoy the journey rather than rushing from one place to another. It is about immersing yourself in the local culture and getting to know the people who live there.
Bing bot answer. Bing has also integrated ChatGPT.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina