• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Christmas in Oxford

Thanks for the information, Wendy. We already have our train tickets for that day. Worse comes to worse, can we drive from Oxford to a tube station on the outskirts of London? We have tickets that day for a Peppa Pig Tea bus tour…my 3 year old granddaughter will be devastated to miss that. Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.

We used to eat in La Galleria in Woodstock but I haven’t dined there recently so I can’t recommend it.
You have some marvellous suggestions for a mid winter trip. Pauline’s thread reminded me about the Burne - Jones Oxford trail but I’m an avid fan so it may not be for everyone.
I was also reminded of the day my late husband and I met up with Pauline & Steve in Oxford one May Day. Imagine our surprise to catch Steve & Richard joining in with the Morris Dancers when left we them on their own for 10 minutes.

I hope the freezing rain didn’t cause you flight problems this morning at Heathrow. (I live about 20 mins away.)
Enjoy your break.

Ill
Thanks for the information, Wendy. We already have our train tickets for that day. Worse comes to worse, can we drive from Oxford to a tube station on the outskirts of London? We have tickets that day for a Peppa Pig Tea bus tour…my 3 year old granddaughter will be devastated to miss that. Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.
I’ll take a look. Where are you picking the bus up ? Which rail company have you booked with ? Not all trains are as bad on strike days as the ones I use most ( South Western.) I’m thinking GWR or Cross Country ?

Last edited:
I hope the freezing rain didn’t cause you flight problems this morning at Heathrow. (I live about 20 mins away.)
We landed Heathrow from Washington DC this morning at 6:30pm…thankfully without issue. We zipped through passport control, picked up our bags, and took the shuttle to the rental car location. We had a very quick, uneventful drive to our rental home in Cowley outside Oxford.

I’ll take a look. Where are you picking the bus up ? Which rail company have you booked with ? Not all trains are as bad on strike days as the ones I use most ( South Western.) I’m thinking GWR or Cross Country ?
We are to pick up the Peppa Pig bus at Somerset House on 12/20 at 2:45pm. We booked our noon train tickets with GWR…Oxford to Paddington Station. I think we were planning to take the Bakerloo Line from Paddington to Embankment…then walk to Somerset House.
Your thoughts on our plan are greatly appreciated.

Ill

GWR are actually advising “ published service” on your day of travel and further down the page a reduced service. Might be useful to sign up to the “alert service” as information seems to be changeable. Sorry if I alarmed you unduly but I’ve had 3 messages about the possibility of my early morning train being pulled on Christmas Eve today from South Western Trains. Strikes are going ahead that day but the published time was from 6 pm but now they are saying no trains after midday.
In a nutshell my country is in disarray.

We are to pick up the Peppa Pig bus at Somerset House on 12/20 at 2:45pm. We booked our noon train tickets with GWR…Oxford to Paddington Station. I think we were planning to take the Bakerloo Line from Paddington to Embankment…then walk to Somerset House.
Your thoughts on our plan are greatly appreciated.
A perfectly good route. No alarm symbols on the website when I put in your schedules.
It seems prudent to make a plan B even so but I’ll admit I’m brilliant with buses around London but not so good with the tube.
( Buses are striking throughout Dec too.) No doubt someone else can help you out with the feasibility of a park and ride but I will write more later today,

GWR are actually advising “ published service” on your day of travel and further down the page a reduced service. Might be useful to sign up to the “alert service” as information seems to be changeable. Sorry if I alarmed you unduly but I’ve had 3 messages about the possibility of my early morning train being pulled on Christmas Eve today from South Western Trains. Strikes are going ahead that day but the published time was from 6 pm but now they are saying no trains after midday.
Oh, that sounds more promising. We were not aware of the “alert service”…we will definitely sign up for that to make sure we keep abreast of any changes.

A perfectly good route. No alarm symbols on the website when I put in your schedules.
It seems prudent to make a plan B even so but I’ll admit I’m brilliant with buses around London but not so good with the tube.
( Buses are striking throughout Dec too.) No doubt someone else can help you out with the feasibility of a park and ride but I will write more later today,
Thank you so much, Wendy! The information you have provided and your suggestions are enormously helpful. We are also checking with my son-in-law’s cousin who lives in Oxford, but works in London. Hopefully between the two of you, we will make it into London on a timely basis and take our Peppa Pig bus tour!

Logically I’m thinking a plan B would involve the M40 to maybe Hillingdon underground.
As newly weds we both lived and worked in Hillingdon so I know that was a feasible route in but that was 45 years ago!
Glad you have a more appropriate contact than me btw.
I will confer with my son too now the football has finished.
Terrific game I have to say.

Last edited:
Logically I’m thinking a plan B would involve the M40 to maybe Hillingdon underground.
As newly weds we both lived and worked in Hillingdon so I know that’s a feasible route in but that was 45 years ago!
Your Plan B is still a viable option today according to my son-in-law’s cousin.

I will confer with my son too now the football has finished.
Terrific game I have to say.
Wonderful game! We are very vocal football fans…hopefully our neighbors in the terrace house next to us were not annoyed! We were so happy for Messi.

Argentina won the World Cup. I had to look it up after reading this. I knew they were playing today but didn’t watch.

Welcome to the UK @Mom83 and I hope you are able to ignore all our current problems. Good thing you have a car! And your arrival was ideal!

Welcome to the UK @Mom83 and I hope you are able to ignore all our current problems. Good thing you have a car! And your arrival was ideal!
Thanks, Pauline! Flying with a 3 year old and 4 month old was a bit less restful than when Jeff and I fly by ourselves. But it was so worth it as we watched our 3 year old granddaughter race into her GaGa’s (paternal grandfather’s nickname) arms the second she saw him after we exited customs.
We are just so happy to all be together for Christmas…I promise we will adjust to any issues with weather, strikes, etc as needed without complaint.
Yes, our arrival was quite straightforward…thankfully. And the drive up to Oxford was very quick and easy. We were very fortunate.
Our rental house in Cowley is lovely…I will have to write a review after we get home.
This forum and it’s members have been so gracious and helpful…thank you all!

My visitor’s train journey went well yesterday despite all the warnings on the website.
I’ve been keeping an eye on your journey for tomorrow and haven’t spotted any waning signs, yet.
This heavy rain might present problems but no doubt you are keeping an eye on the website too.
I do hope all will go well for you tomorrow and that you can have an enjoyable time.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina