• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Cinque Terre Recommendations Please

karenb

Hello! Would appreciate recommendations for which Cinque Terre town would be a good base ... and also hotel/B&B/Apt. We will be there in mid-October.

I posted in your other thread. A good place to stay is Levanto. Not as crowded as the Cinque Terre towns but easy to get to them.

For the Cinque Terre I stay in Levanto, the town to the north. You can take the train into the Cinque Terre easily from there. There is a nice walking trail from there into the Cinque Terre. Less crowded than the main trails.

Villa Margherita is a nice hotel there. I’ve stayed there. They also have apartments. We rented an apartment from them last May.

I'll second Pauline's recommendation of Levanto, we stayed there for 3 nights in the beginning of November 2008, I believe. It's a vibrant and lovely town, with a nice beach and a good assortment of shopping and eating places, the train station is well located and connects you easily to the Cinque Terre villages. The agroturismo we stayed at there has since closed, so can't give you advice on accommodation. I'd choose to stay there again if we went back to the area.

We spent a week in Lerici. A ferry boat leaves right from the town center to all the Cinque Terre towns.

Helpful hint (because it is not "standard" pronunciation): Levanto is pronounced LAY-vahn-toe.

Planning to visit but I have heard that it's super crowded in July and August and they are even thinking of limiting the number of tourists, has anyone been there recently? Maybe September a better time to visit?

Planning to visit but I have heard that it's super crowded in July and August and they are even thinking of limiting the number of tourists, has anyone been there recently? Maybe September a better time to visit?

Usually avoid CT and go to Portovenere instead, but had a guest this year that wanted to see the towns. I was surprised that the trail from Riomaggiore and beyond was still closed. We took boat to Manarola and then a train back, so don't know if the trail is open to/from the three northern towns, but would do some research. We were there in early June and were surprised at how uncrowded the two towns were that we visited (but most US schools were still in session at that time). Late July and August are always the worst times to visit -- heat, humidity, and closures due to ferie. September is still warm weather (still nice in Tuscany into the middle of October, usually) and kids/families are back in school.

September would definitely be less crowded than July or August, but I would also think about nearby towns: Lerici, Tellaro, Levanto, La Spezia are some good options. Cinque Terre has, sadly, gotten so, so overtrafficked.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina