• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Cleaning a Vacation Rental

I am an Airbnb host (superhost). I don't charge for cleaning and specify that guests should leave the apartment 'clean and tidy as they find it'. It's an Airbnb, not a hotel and on principle I think everyone should do their own cleaning! Also some hosts charge an exorbitant cleaning fee because it's considered an 'expense' and Airbnb don't take commission on it but I think that's bad practice. I provide a vacuum cleaner, floor mop and all cleaning products. Some people specify when they arrive that they don't want to clean so I ask them to leave twenty euro on the table if they want to (nb if they want to), we've never had any problems about this.
That is the theory. In practice I always clean the apartment thoroughly myself before the next guests arrive. I don't expect guests to leave the place spotless as they find it but just reasonably clean. Results vary a lot! Most people leave the bathroom clean, but many leave hairs in the shower. Most people sweep or vacuum the floor but very few wash it. Hardly anyone dusts. Most people leave the kitchen reasonably acceptable but a greasy frying pan is not at all unusual.
According to how guests leave the apartment it takes me between one and three hours to get the two-roomed apartment ready for the next guests.
I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience Lisa, independently of how you left the apartment. Some guests have left our apartment what I consider dirty over the years but I have never ever and would never ever mention that on the public feedback. Embarrassing their guests, even after they have left, is not something a superhost should do in my opinion! Superhosts should also provide plenty of towels and good quality cleaning equipment and products if their guests are supposed to clean. Recently we had a young couple in their early twenties for just four nights and I had to wash everything in the kitchen area from bowls to glasses, cutlery, and that was just the kitchen. I left a neutral comment in the public feedback saying they were friendly people and there was good communication but since it was a bit much I wrote to them privately saying I had spent three hours cleaning and that they should leave future accommodation in a better state! I was surprised they wrote back apologising and the conclusion was that they will probably visit us again, good communication can often avoid unpleasantness.

I don't do as much cleaning as some of you do - I clean out the fridge, put everything back in its place, wash and put away any dishes, empty the garbage, put all the linens in a pile and that's about it. Most places we've stayed have a published, included, non-negotiable cleaning fee, and that's fine with me!

For our upcoming stay in Umbria, this year we've had to rent an apartment because the friend we usually stay with has downsized. The apartment I've found will clean AND do the linens on a weekly basis, included in our rent! All we'll have to launder are our clothes, and there's a laundromat just down the street from our rental. I'm super excited and will feel super pampered!

@Lisa in Ottawa , you did the right thing, and I'm sorry your host was so ungracious.

I always tidy up, do the dishes, empty the fridge and dump the trash. I pride myself in leaving apartment pretty well the way I found them. I understand Airbnb is a "community", like most rental agencies. I've had renter tell me they were impressed by how clean their place is after I leave.

I only received one bad review and I was very upset. We were in Venice for 3 days last year and rented this amazing Airbnb in San Marco. Because we weren't there for long and it was the end of our trip, we didn't even cook, which means no dirty stove, no dishes, no dirty kitchen, etc. On our last morning, we ran out of time and left behing two empty wine bottles! Nothing else! I even left a note next to the bottles to apologize! In my review, the renter wrote "the guests left their garbage behind"!!!! How petty is that?! The thing that unfortunate is that I would rent that appartment again in a heartbeat!

I'm finding these comments so helpful. It's good to hear from "hosts" as well as renters. I also left some bottles behind right by the door. I did this b/c I was confused about recycling and didn't want to throw them in the garbage.
I'm surprised at how many people clean the bathroom shower prior to leaving a rental. I never do. I think everyone has different standards. I find it disconcerting that so many airbnb hosts are absent so reviews are simply based on how clean the apartment was left. By an unknown standard. I like Tina's approach in that she tries not to shame people and finds something good or helpful to say.

I am an Airbnb host (superhost). I don't charge for cleaning and specify that guests should leave the apartment 'clean and tidy as they find it'. It's an Airbnb, not a hotel and on principle I think everyone should do their own cleaning! Also some hosts charge an exorbitant cleaning fee because it's considered an 'expense' and Airbnb don't take commission on it but I think that's bad practice. I provide a vacuum cleaner, floor mop and all cleaning products. Some people specify when they arrive that they don't want to clean so I ask them to leave twenty euro on the table if they want to (nb if they want to), we've never had any problems about this.
That is the theory. In practice I always clean the apartment thoroughly myself before the next guests arrive. I don't expect guests to leave the place spotless as they find it but just reasonably clean. Results vary a lot! Most people leave the bathroom clean, but many leave hairs in the shower. Most people sweep or vacuum the floor but very few wash it. Hardly anyone dusts. Most people leave the kitchen reasonably acceptable but a greasy frying pan is not at all unusual.
According to how guests leave the apartment it takes me between one and three hours to get the two-roomed apartment ready for the next guests.
I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience Lisa, independently of how you left the apartment. Some guests have left our apartment what I consider dirty over the years but I have never ever and would never ever mention that on the public feedback. Embarrassing their guests, even after they have left, is not something a superhost should do in my opinion! Superhosts should also provide plenty of towels and good quality cleaning equipment and products if their guests are supposed to clean. Recently we had a young couple in their early twenties for just four nights and I had to wash everything in the kitchen area from bowls to glasses, cutlery, and that was just the kitchen. I left a neutral comment in the public feedback saying they were friendly people and there was good communication but since it was a bit much I wrote to them privately saying I had spent three hours cleaning and that they should leave future accommodation in a better state! I was surprised they wrote back apologising and the conclusion was that they will probably visit us again, good communication can often avoid unpleasantness.

Thanks, Tina. So helpful to hear your perspective. I agree that Airbnb is not a hotel so I certainty don't expect daily or even weekly cleaning. I however, do expect it to be thoroughly cleaned once I vacate. I do not believe this job should ever be left up to a vacationer. I don't think this is what you were saying and I have no idea what these "hosts" had in mind. There was definitely not an abundance of cleaning supplies. In fact, I remember thinking there wasn't a rag to wash down the counters. Just a scrubbie for dishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I "tidy up" anything I've used -- empty the fridge, wipe the counter, pile my towels, clean the dishes, etc.

I expect to pay for cleaning, either separately, or included, based on the rental.

My apologies to hosts/owners, but different guests will not clean a place with the same level of sanitation. Some may vacuum thoroughly, others may leave debris and hair in the corners. I really want the shower, sink, tubs, toilets to be sparkling clean. I want the linens to be fresh and clean. Sorry, but I will not rent a place that doesn't have a cleaning service. If I accidentally do so, I will not stay there again. I'm a stickler for cleanliness as I have severe dust allergies.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina