• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

"Controlled access" to Trevi Fountain

BryanS

100+ Posts
Italian news is reporting that starting this week Rome is instituting a trial for 80 days to control access to Trevi Fountain from 9AM to midnight. They are hoping to control some of the chaos.

9b4ad26c576921bb31296cde720728e4.jpg

ansa.it

On my very first trip to Rome (aka, "young and stupid") I got a room overlooking the Trevi Fountain in a little hotel that I also remember as having no elevator. Took a lot of photos from the window and thought I was a lucky guy -- and then the guitar music and singing (and drinking) started -- unfortunately, none of it in my room, but continuing well into the wee hours of the morning around the fountain.

On our first trip to Rome, in 1996, I planned a late evening walk as a surprise for Steve. We had dinner and then we walked the route I had planned - all the highlights including the Trevi Fountain. Nighttime is probably the best time to see it now! (My clever route ended up at a metro stop so we could ride back to the hotel, only to find that the metro stopped running at midnight, so we walked back.)

I have a co-worker who tried to see the Trevi Fountain last July but there was a fashion show (I'm thinking it was Fendi) with Kendall Jenner among others. No access to the area for their entire Rome stay, plexiglass was installed over the water, and he and his wife were so disappointed.

I too love the Trevi at night. The first time I ever saw it was in the early evening.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina