• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Covid reality 2022?

joe

1000+ Posts
"Nature" is my preferred free-access source for news and articles on developments in science and technology. Its reporting throughout the pandemic has been very reliable and professional.
Its most recent editorial addresses realistic expectations for the near future with regards the pandemic, and makes a short and interesting read. The bottom line is that the virus will not be eradicated and that we all will have to adapt to living with it.
I guess that means another year of guessing for travelers....

From the article :
"But what is clear is that the hope that vaccines and prior infection could generate herd immunity to COVID-19 — an unlikely possibility from the start — has all but disappeared. It is widely thought that SARS-CoV-2 will become endemic rather than extinct, with vaccines providing protection from severe disease and death, but not eradicating the virus....

Meanwhile, new antiviral drugs, formulated in tablets that can be easily administered early in the course of infection to reduce the chance of serious disease and death, offer another approach against COVID-19....

All of these will expand the world’s capacity to manage SARS-CoV-2 outbreaks. They are cause for hope and optimism, but with a hefty dose of realism: the virus will continue to circulate and change, and governments must continue to rely on the guidance and advice of scientists. We will not always be able to predict the virus’s path, and we must be ready to adapt with it."

Thanks for reminding me about Nature; I was a science writer in a previous life but hadn't looked at Nature in decades UNTIL: When the Webb telescope was launched into space, my rabbi was asking around for an article that would give a good idea, in layperson's language, of what scientists might hope to learn about the beginning of the universe. And after a bit I thought Nature! and sure enough they had a very good article.
So I will go back and see what they have to say about issues related to COVID.

Hi @ItalophileNJ - when I was delving into the thick of the vaccine, I read these two good articles from the site, you might want to take a look. They describe the history and outlook for the mRNA technology :

An interesting article from The Guardian, about research that strongly suggests that "trust between people – not in government or institutions – is key to limiting damage in a pandemic". From the article :

"Countries in the top quartile of interpersonal trust actually spent 30% less time with a stringency index over 70 – meaning living with stay-at-home orders, school and workplace closures, and similar restrictions – than those in the bottom quartile. They also saw half as many deaths per capita in 2020 and 2021. In other words, societies in which people trust each other were able to get far more health benefit from looser restrictions.

But interestingly, this effect only holds for interpersonal trust, not for trust in governments. We do not see any difference in the stringency of restrictions applied in countries where citizens trust the government compared to countries where trust in the government is low."

Another excellent review of two years of Covid appears in a concise podcast (30 minutes) of The Economist. Good questions by the interviewer, with honest and illuminating answers by Sir Jeremy Farrar. Not sure if the link works for you, but going to the "Babbage Podcasts" page on their site is also an option.

Seems to be that the bottom line for travelers - and for everyone, basically - is that Covid is here to stay. It is imperative to learn the right lessons and to adapt as smartly as possible.

Just a quick report.
We landed in Rome on March 24. Spent 10 days there and took a very crowded bus to Sulmona on Sunday, 3 April. Both of us tested positive on Tuesday morning, 5 April. Our airbnb hosts were kind and generous--did a huge grocery shopping for us and left it at our apartment door. And they found us another place to stay for 2 extra days in Sulmona (their place was already booked for someone else). Symptoms were mild--like a bad cold--throat scratchy, headache, stuffiness. My husband had a bad cough but it left quickly and by Saturday we tested negative. Not the best way to spend time in Italy but luckily for us we have 6 weeks here so it was not the end of the world.
We continued to be lacking in stamina for days, maybe still.
In Bologna now and feeling fine.
If anyone wants more details, I've been blogging at:
keepyourfeetinthestreet.com

COVID TESTING EZ
We’re schedule to sail from Civitivecchia on Nov 19 and a CoVid test within 48 hours is required. This will sound like a math test.
Taking the Frecciarossa from Lyon Part Dieu on Nov 18: but we train to Lyon on the 17th and overnight, picking up the Freccia at 9:30 am.
Our journey includes Milano/change for Rome/change for Civitivecchia.
Quite worried about getting a timely test. Here’s what I learned!
The big train stations in France & Italy have PHARMACIES and the ones I called do CoVid testing. Just google Termini station and pharmacy, then consult their website. Be sure to ascertain the testing hours. France costs €30, Italy €15. Time elapse 30-40 min.
You’re welcome.
Hi Pauline: it’s been a long time since meeting you!

I contracted Covid on my last day in Italy three weeks ago, and had to stay an extra five days to isolate and feel better.
I've had four shots, and wore masks everywhere, and washed hands and surfaces constantly.
It will still get you!

I was in Florence, and I thought the pharmacy at the SMN train station would do Covid testing to provide an official test result for travel insurance purposes, but they don't, even though the website sort of implies that they do.
So you can't always believe the websites.

They directed me from there, to a new pharmacy at Via della Scala 61, about a 5 minute walk away; and they did my rapid antigen test for E15, with the official result handed to me in about 15 minutes.
The lady who handed me the results wagged her finger at me severely, to make sure I understood that I had to isolate for five days, which I did.

I cannot stress enough the importance of getting good travel medical insurance coverage nowadays.
I had fortunately added a Covid policy to mine for about an extra CAN$70 or so; and was very glad I did.
They say they will reimburse me all my extra accommodation, food, and airline flight change fees.
I just sent off the claim last Thursday, so I'm hoping they will indeed reimburse me.
I've never felt so ill in my life for the first 48 hours or so, and having that policy was indeed something that helped me through it.
Stay healthy, everyone!

I contracted Covid on my last day in Italy three weeks ago, and had to stay an extra five days to isolate and feel better.
I've had four shots, and wore masks everywhere, and washed hands and surfaces constantly.
It will still get you!

I was in Florence, and I thought the pharmacy at the SMN train station would do Covid testing to provide an official test result for travel insurance purposes, but they don't, even though the website sort of implies that they do.
So you can't always believe the websites.

They directed me from there, to a new pharmacy at Via della Scala 61, about a 5 minute walk away; and they did my rapid antigen test for E15, with the official result handed to me in about 15 minutes.
The lady who handed me the results wagged her finger at me severely, to make sure I understood that I had to isolate for five days, which I did.

I cannot stress enough the importance of getting good travel medical insurance coverage nowadays.
I had fortunately added a Covid policy to mine for about an extra CAN$70 or so; and was very glad I did.
They say they will reimburse me all my extra accommodation, food, and airline flight change fees.
I just sent off the claim last Thursday, so I'm hoping they will indeed reimburse me.
I've never felt so ill in my life for the first 48 hours or so, and having that policy was indeed something that helped me through it.
Stay healthy, everyone!
I hope you are fully recovered now and agree with the importance of good travel insurance coverage. If you have been pleased with the coverage you received, could you share the name of the company you went with? Thanks.

Hello Hatterbury:
Thanks, I'm quite well now...no aftereffects that I've noticed!
I'm in Canada, so my travel medical insurance is with BCAA.....CAA if you live further east.
I took out a Covid policy addition that was an extra CAN$72.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina