• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Day trips to Amalfi Coast from Naples

Christian

100+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
We'll be based in Naples for 10 days in May. We do not drive, so I thought we'd go on one or two day trips with Viator or other company to visit the Amalfi Coast. Is is a weird idea? I have read and heard so many horror story about the difficulties of getting around without a car on the AC, that it seems to make sense to us. We don't want to do 4-5 villages in one day and that's why we're thinking of a couple excursions on different days, instead. Any thoughts?

If going to Pompeii, Herculaneum or Sorrento, then there's the circumvesuviana (privately run) railway that serves them. Whilst this is very easy to use, do be aware that there has historically been a high incidence of pickpockets working this route (and at the Napoli train station), so be extra certain to pack valuables safely away and to not leave bags unattended.

The other alternatives are:
- SITA bus direct to Amalfi, with timetables online. It's a decent way to get a first sighter of the coast
- Even better for views is taking the ferry from Napoli and I'd especially recommend this for Positano, as it presents the most stunning view from the water as you approach / depart.
- Organised trips may come into their own if you want a guide AND want to see Herculaneum and Pompeii/Vesuvius in a day. I personally wouldn't feel I'd want one for the Amalfi coast, unless say it includes Ravello, which would require an extra change on the bus at Amalfi (and it's often a busy bus up to Ravello)
- Not Amalfi Coast, but if Vietri sul mare appeals, you could get the fast train to Salerno and local bus to Vietri (and Salerno's got understated appeal)

Transportation on the Amalfi Coast is the problem for the area. We’ve always rented a car but it isn’t ideal. We got hit by a bus once!

I like @Ian Sutton suggestions. Ferry from Naples (or train to Sorrento and ferry from there) for Capri and Positano for one day trip. Train to Vietri for another day trip. That would give you a good enough taste of the AC without staying there.

You could think about train to Paestum to see the Greek Temples on same day as Vietri or skip Vietri and just do Paestum.

See Herculaneum and Pompeii by train from Naples. There is a third Vesuvius site, Oplontis, on the train line between these two. I have some notes about them.

Amalfi Coast articles:

This one lists the other Vesuvius sites:

Thank you Ian and Pauline! I started to research the ferry option. Are some companies better than other? Is is something that is easier to arrange once we're in Naples?

Thank you Ian and Pauline! I started to research the ferry option. Are some companies better than other? Is is something that is easier to arrange once we're in Naples?

I've not noticed any difference between ferry operators - the boats tend not to have much in the way of frills, with some seating inside and often more limited seating outside (which in good weather, tend to get taken reasonably quickly).

For a day trip - absolutely something you can skip booking in advance, giving you flexibility to decide on the day or the night before e.g. based on the weather forecast or energy levels, or wanting a break from the intensity of Napoli.

We'll be based in Naples for 10 days in May. We do not drive, so I thought we'd go on one or two day trips with Viator or other company to visit the Amalfi Coast. Is is a weird idea? I have read and heard so many horror story about the difficulties of getting around without a car on the AC, that it seems to make sense to us. We don't want to do 4-5 villages in one day and that's why we're thinking of a couple excursions on different days, instead. Any thoughts?
I've done the Amalfi Coast twice, and never did an organized tour. I stayed in Naples and used the train, the Circumvesuviana, which is efficient and very reasonable (just hang on to your belongings, as my husband's pocket was picked on our way to Pompeii!). Naples is a wonderful base if you like big cities. You can take ferries everywhere! Everybody wants to go to Capri, which is lovely, but I'm a big fan of Ischia. There's a place there, Negombo Springs, that has 26 different hog and cold spring water stations. Bring a bathing suit, sandals, and some money (it's $30 or $40 but worth every penny). Best of all, try and spend at least one night in Ischia so that you can also visit the castle. For some reason not too many Americans go there, but settle on Capri, which is pretty but really just a high end shopping mall.

Pompeii is stunning. Herculaneum is my favorite, though. Smaller and more recently discovered. Go to both and make your own judgment.

Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, Salerno, all can be reached by ferry, but you're better off hiring a driver to get the feel of the coast at least once. Hopefully you don't get carsick easily.

The other must-see is Ravello, which is best reached by either taxi or bus from Amalfi. It is the most beautiful town, by far, on the Amalfi Coast. Words cannot describe it. Is it touristy? Well yeah, other people have found it too! So what, don't miss it.

Naples itself, of course, is wonderful. Take a walk down Tribunali. Go to the museums. You're going to wish you had three weeks instead of 10 days!!

Enjoy. I want to go back. I LOVE the Amalfi Coast.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina