• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

December 2014 - where to go in southern Europe?

Lisa in Ottawa

500+ Posts
Wasn't sure where to post this query. We will have approx 10 days at the end of our 3 month stay in Oxford. Trying to figure out where to go from mid Dec to just before or after Christmas. Don't want snow, so no suggestions for the Alps.
Thought of Portugal as haven't been but now reconsidering as think it would be much better to go at a different time of year for first visit.
Spain? We've been to Andalusia and loved it. Would consider again. Haven't been to Madrid.
Considerations would like to avoid rain if possible. Don't mind cold and sunny.
Suggestions???

Lisbon always pops up on our short list when planning a Christmas trip, because of the climate and it looks like an interesting destination. Madrid is one of our favourite cities, but might be chilly that time of year. Maybe Barcelona?

We spent Christmas and New Year's in Malta a couple of years ago and loved it.

Thanks, we've been to Barcelona and OH doesn't want to go back. Mmm Malta. Interesting. Could you say a little more about what you enjoyed.

Madrid..don't mind cold if places to go indoors and people watch as well. Madrid fits that bill. Prefer cold over damp and rainly.

We found Malta fascinating. We were there for two weeks and didn't get to everything that we wanted to. Its history and architecture are definitely unique, and the people are really friendly. They speak English so no language barrier (if that's a concern). The climate is fairly pleasant -- highs of 12 to 15 C and I don't think we saw any rain when we were there.

I'd suggest staying in Valletta -- the transportation and cultural hub. But, the public bus system is extensive and it's easy to get anywhere on the island.

Thanks, Scott. I've quickly browsed the internet. Malta looks just lovely. Did you stay in an apartment, hotel, b&b or.....? Valetta definitely looks like it would have more to offer in winter although some of the northern villages look quite interesting. but it seems small enough that one could just do daytrips. I'm wondering if it is expensive as I read they have to import most of their food.
Did you go to Goza as well?

Lisa, it sounds like you're looking for someplace warm, but I'll just say that I think Provence is really special in the Christmas season. We've been there now for four Christmas seasons and will be back next year. I love the traditions in Provence. There are Christmas markets in Aix and Avignon and in many of the small villages too. Bonnieux , for example, has a festival of the Crèches. (See my blog post about this here and a photo below from the night walk to see the creches.) And we've had some great weather days too, sunny enough to do a little hiking.

This December we're planning to fly down to Morocco for 4-5 days in the middle of the month, hopefully setting up some sort of private tour. That may be something else for you to consider. (And if you came to Provence, we'd love to get together... we'll probably be there until December 27 or 28.)

IMGP0553.JPG

Kathy,
I would go back to Provence in a heartbeat. But Ron would like something new. And it does seem this is an opportunity to have a different experience. I've thought of Morocco, but hardly know where to start. It feels a little overwhelming. I'm also reluctant b/c of their poor human rights record. But I'm open to suggestions. Fes?

No I'm not looking for warmth. I just don't want a snow destination and would prefer sun. I've been exploring Malta based on a revious poster's recs. Frankly, I've been all over the map.

It seems, having just secured the 3 months in Oxford and having more or less, sorted out the pre Oxford Loire Valley part (see previous theread), I'm now feverishly planning the post Oxford part. And it's still 7 months away!

I would love to see your home in Bonnieux. Sounds like you have amzing trips planned.

Thanks, Scott. I've quickly browsed the internet. Malta looks just lovely. Did you stay in an apartment, hotel, b&b or.....? Valetta definitely looks like it would have more to offer in winter although some of the northern villages look quite interesting. but it seems small enough that one could just do daytrips. I'm wondering if it is expensive as I read they have to import most of their food.
Did you go to Goza as well?

We took a day trip to Gozo with an organised tour. That way we didn't need to worry about planning logistics, transportation, etc. for a longish day. Highly recommended; the scenery is different, as is the culture and architecture.

We stayed in an apartment in Valletta. I would recommend this place: http://www.livinginvalletta.com/. It's a palazzo converted to apartments, and the owners live in the building. The shared rooftop overlooks the south harbour with spectacular views. We stayed in the del Monte apartment, but probably wouldn't again -- the apartment itself was fine, but the advertised "private courtyard" is used to get to the elevator by other occupants of the building. Not a huge disruption, but we didn't use the courtyard as much as we would if it was truly private. I reviewed the apartment on the SlowTrav site.

I don't remember Malta being particularly expensive. What I do remember is that, more often than not, you need a reservation to eat at a restaurant. Especially on the weekends (including lunchtime), it can be hard to find somewhere to eat other than a cafe. If you decide to go, I can give you a list of our favourites.

What about southern Spain - Seville or Granada? I have a thread going about this on the Spain forum.

Or Greece. There are flights from the UK to some of the Greek islands direct (without going through Athens).

Another winter destination I have considered is Israel.

But the one we selected for our April trip is in Italy - Sicily. That would also be a possibility. I have a thread going about that in the Italy forum.

Another place you might want to consider is Croatia. The coastline is gorgeous, although it may be more fun in the warmer weather. The Romans marched through the country frequently, and left their mark throughout the land. Loads of history, very friendly people, and still under-visited by tourists, although that is changing. It would be a reasonably priced visit, too.

What about southern Spain - Seville or Granada? I have a thread going about this on the Spain forum.

Pauline, we've been to both those lovely places. OH wants somewhere new or a mixture. After touring, vivirtually, most of southern europe and into Morocco ( oh the joys of the internet), I think we've more or less landed.
A few days in Lisbon and environs and a little more in Madrid.

Thanks all for your wonderful suggestions. If you ever need dvice on: The Canary Islands, Madeira, Malta and Morocco I feel as if I've been to all of them.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lisa, we loved our (first) trip to Lisbon in October. There's a review of our AirBnB place posted on Slowtrav (November reviews in Spain & Portugal), with a few eating recommendations thrown in - do ask here if you want to know any more.

Lisa, we loved our (first) trip to Lisbon in October. There's a review of our AirBnB place posted on Slowtrav (November reviews in Spain & Portugal), with a few eating recommendations thrown in - do ask here if you want to know any more.
Jonathan,
I read and bookmarked your review as I'm a loyal member of ST as well. If we were travelling in October I would have had no hesitation about Portugal. It can be quite rainy in December. BUT I've gotten over that hurdle. One can't control the weather(as we have seen) and I'd rather be in a cosmopolitan city in the rain where there are lots of things to do indoors than in a small town or the countryside.
The apt looks very sweet. I don't remember reading eating restaurant recs. But it's too soon to plan that part of the trip. I had read that the food in Lisbon wasn't that great but the pastries were sublime.

Yes, Lisa, I know you from ST as well! (It was your blog and ST posts from/about your Nice experience that was one of the main reasons behind the very pleasant week I had in VSM last summer)

The restaurant recs are right at the end of the Lisbon apt review. Some Lisbon food is a bit ordinary, but we found some really interesting stuff as well (and mostly very cheap compared with France/Italy).

Like you, we want to try Madrid also: we've got a few days planned there in late April, when Philippa is running the marathon there!

If you ever need advice on: The Canary Islands, Madeira, Malta and Morocco I feel as if I've been to all of them.
I have been looking at the Canaries and Madeira for winter getaways while living in England. Many Brits go to these places. I would love to hear what you found out about both places. When you get the time, could you start new threads about them?

In March of 2005 we spent a week in a condo in St. Julian's Bay on Malta - I really liked Malta and want to go back! We were there around Easter, and saw a procession - with a donkey! - in St. Julian's (I think that was Good Friday), and took a bus to another town to see an evening procession of costumed adults carrying religious statues.

I like visiting neolithic and megalithic ruins, and there are many in Malta. If you're a Caravaggio fan, there are two of his paintings in Valletta. He lived on Malta for a while at the invitation of the Knights of St. John. Until he was asked to leave. :)

We spent a couple of afternoons in Valletta, and that's where I'd stay next time. The city is beautiful, and as mentioned above it's the transportation hub. The bus system on the island is incredibly extensive, but you pretty much have to go to Valletta first to get anywhere else.

Last edited:
I am following this thread because we want to spend a month in early 2015 somewhere in Europe. I think we have settled on Lisbon. Jonathan, I have read your review on Slow Travel of the apartment you stayed in several times and would love to hear more about your experiences (including food) when you have time to share!
Jan

Jan, we're in Austria at the moment, so I don't have any of my notes - but we're back home at the weekend, so I'll dig out my stuff then. Meanwhike, if you go to the AirBnB listing for our apartment ('Your home in Bairro Alto'), Teresa has annotated the Google map with lots of recommendations.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina