• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Decision Made! Note I'm posting in "other countries" :-)

MariaV

10+ Posts
Morning! For logistical purposes in planning my move (yes I *finally* made a decision!), I'm wondering which would be better to do -- 24 hours in Ljubljana or Zagreb on my way to my final destination of.......drum roll.........Pécs, Hungary! The reason it's an actual question is because:

Due to having two large suitcases, a backpack/laptop, and only my two hands, I'm going to take a train then one of those big comfy buses, as opposed to trying to do two trains then a local bus then deal with security and waiting and blah blah to take a plane from Bergamo to Budapest (and then either taking the train south or staying the night, etc.). So, I'm going to take one train and one bus. The thing is -- Ljubljana or Zagreb? This is an issue because of getting to Pécs the next day. If in Zagreb, it will be 1.5 hour train, 1.5 hours waiting in a basically tiny deserted border station (possibly on a Sunday--it's called Gyekenyes), then 2-1/2 or 3 or so to Pécs. OR a sorta circuitous train trip from Ljubljana that takes around six-ish hours but there's no sitting around a station.

Thoughts??

I'd go for the longer train ride. Enjoy the scenery! Congrats on the decision. I imagine Hungary will be different from the other places you have lived.

Oh it's going to be SO different! It's been a long time since I've been this excited about moving to a new place...it will be much different from "mainstream/mainland" (for lack of better words) Europe that I'm used to. I was happy to move to France or Germany or Austria....but I'm *excited* about this move! I've done a lot of research and have been in contact with one older US expat couple, an older US expat male, a younger US I'm-not-sure-what-she's-doing-there girl, and a Hungarian journalist who writes the city guide for Pécs. A nice mixture of opinions. The city has everything -- arts, museums, a couple hospitals, some medical centers, one or two universities, nice restaurants so good food and wine, pretty scenery around, a good mix of old and new in architecture....and is still cheap!

So what about Ljubljana versus Zagrab for 24 hours? I haven't been to either.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina