• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

South West Dorset, Lyme Regis, 1bed/1bath apartment

Pauline

Forums Admin
Rented from Lyme Bay Holidays. A4880 - Seagull in the Bay Apartments, Marine Parade

Description: 1 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment on 2nd floor (US 3rd), no lift
Link: http://www.lymebayholidays.co.uk/cottage-details/A4880/
Date of Stay: August 2015

Recommended! Expensive in high season, but you get a unique experience being right on the water. Lyme Bay Holidays have a lot of nice rentals in Lyme Regis and the area. We were booking at the last minute and this apartment was available. If there were more choice I probably would not have booked this, but I am happy that I did because we had a great week and enjoyed being in the center of everything.

The apartment is on the second floor (US 3rd) of a renovated old hotel on Marine Parade in Lyme Regis. On the ground floor there are two restaurants. Above them are three floors of apartments, 2 - 4 apartments per floor. No lift, but a wide staircase.

Seagull is a small, but perfectly designed, apartment at the front of the building with two large tri-fold windows looking over the Marine Parade pedestrian street to the beach and the sea. The windows have a glass half-height barrier, so when they are open you have no chance of falling out. With the windows open you feel like you are on the beach. These windows are in the living room and bedroom. The kitchen has a smaller window with the same view. You clearly see the Cobb to the west and the Jurassic Coast to the east. A beautiful view.

Lyme was very busy when we were there. It was the height of the holidays (first week of August) and was their Carnival and Regatta. This event took place just down from us by the sandy beach. It was for kids and it was great fun to be in the center of all the action. I thought we would be bothered by the restaurants below us but there were no cooking smells and they did not stay open late.

I took advantage of the location to go swimming in the sea every day. I could dash out of the apartment, have a nice swim (the water is very cold) and then dash back in. Near the Cobb there is one large sandy beach (the sand is imported) with a lifeguard. The rest of the long beach is stone and usually empty. I got some of those rubber booties (highly recommended for UK beaches) and swam from the stone beach in front of the apartment. The sound of the waves on the stones is beautiful. The water is good here (gets deep quickly) but the current is strong.

We also enjoyed the mornings before the beach crowds arrived to go walking out on the Cobb and on the new walkway on the east coast.

There is no parking. You drive your car along Marine Parade (dodging pedestrians during busy times of the day) and park close to the building, then unload, turn around and drive back, then up to the Holmbush Car Park (£2 for 24 hours, 10 mins walk through the gardens down to Marine Parade). Note that the walk to the car park is uphill and a bit steep.

Lyme Regis is a great town to stay in. We had only been there on day trips before. It is very touristy, but it is well organized. There is a large park near the beach area. There are many good restaurants and cafes. We went to The Town Mill Bakery a few times. They bake their own bread and offer breakfast and lunch.

Bay Apartments is the yellow building. Seagull is in the middle on the 2nd floor (US 3rd).

lyme-regis-9520.jpg

In the living room looking out. Kitchen on the right.

lyme-regis-9527.jpg

View from the apartment, looking towards the Cobb on a very busy summer holiday day.

lyme-regis-9528.jpg

More photos of Lyme Regis on my trip report thread.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina