• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Europe open in July for UK and US travelers?

Certain European countries are now open to all visitors. Italy and Spain are two. But it is still unsettled in Europe. Many countries remain in some form of lockdown. From what I read American tourists have started going to Italy

In the UK we can travel to green countries with no quarantine when coming back, but in Europe only Portugal is on the green list. Most other European countries are amber, requiring a home quarantine on return. This list will be updated soon and I think more European countries will be on our green list.

However, France and Germany will not let Brits into their countries because of our high level of cases of the India variant. Some say that the only reason we know we have so many cases of that variant is because we do more testing.

So, things are still unsettled. The UK is still in lockdown-light with lockdown ending June 21 if all goes well.

Here is the latest chart from Paul Charles predicting what the official UK position will be.

65DAD51B-5877-450A-94E8-D0932FF519DD.jpeg

View: https://twitter.com/ppaulcharles/status/1397883218892931078?s=21

On the UK travel advice for France they say France has banned Brits but you can enter if you are an EU National. We have Irish passports, so maybe they will get us into France. France still has a curfew but that is ending soon.

From gov.uk:
Updated:28 May 2021Latest update:
From 31 May, travel to France from the UK is only permitted for EU nationals, French residents, or those travelling for essential reasons. (Entry requirements)

It is so frustrating because Covid case numbers are really low in Dorset where we live, and in the UK, but they are worried about increases caused by the new variant. Meanwhile Americans can go to Italy.

Personally I won’t go to an amber country now even if I can get in because I don’t want to quarantine upon return. Summer is so short here that I wouldn’t give up 10 days of it. But I will quarantine if I have to (amber level only, quarantine at home) after our August/September Switzerland trip.

I saw a video from an expat (re: traveling to Italy) that showed a very complex process for entering Italy once one hits the ground and before passport control. No quarantine, though! But asking around, everyone seems to think that the process will be modified in most regions by mid summer. I've made reservations for mid September and am optimistic. Having said that Italy is "on the mend", my friends in northern Tuscany and parts of Umbria are having difficulty getting vaccinations even though there about half a million doses being administered daily, at this point. (This includes citizens as well as ex-pats, which I expected).

Regarding business, it seems most are open for business and people are moving around, out & about. This is the case, at least in Umbria where I spend most of my time. So, fingers crossed, like many others, that improvement reigns.

Shannon, did you get vaccinated in Croatia? Happy trails, everyone!
Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,
Are you able to send a link to that video, or is it meant to be a more private communication?
Thanks

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina