• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

finding gas on the way to Malpensa

LindaG

10+ Posts
Has anyone returned a car to Malpensa early in the morning recently? I will be dropping the car off about 6:30am coming from Como. I’m concerned about getting gas that early in the morning. My memory is that there aren’t many gas stations on the way. Thanks.

Best way to solve the problem :

1) Plan your route to the airport
2) Open Google Maps on the area on your route that is close to the airport. Enter "gas stations" in the search box. Many will appear.
3) Choose one that looks appropriate. When you click on it, you'll get the info you need : opening hours etc.
4) Make sure you have filled gas at an Italian gas station already, and know the ropes, things can be tricky when trying to use a credit card (or even cash).
5) It's a good idea to look at the station in Street View, to get an idea of what it looks like and how exactly to access it from the road
6) Take a look at the reviews of the station, sometimes they are helpful

Last edited:
Hi Giulia - you're right, that was sort of a generalization on my part. I meant bigger stations, not companies, but your remark still holds.

My saying this was based on a bad experience we had once when filling a rental before returning it to Malpensa. We came across this small, rather run-down gas station in the vicinity of Turbigo - this was afternoon, but nobody was there and I didn't understand how to make the machine work (or else it was malfunctioning). IAC, since then we've only used rather large gas stations, and have never had a problem.
Being a tourist has its problems.

IAC, I'll remove that sentence in my post.

This is a link to a Google Map with a number of the gas stations near Malpensa.

Gas Stations near Malpensa

I usually approach from the north (Somma Lombardo) and I have used one or two of the stations shown on that road.

Self-service is still a bit tricky in Italy though I think a lot easier than it was twenty years ago when I would regularly screw up and lose money.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina