• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Five Days in London

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
I'm going to use this post to list all the things I want to see and do during our five days in London next summer. I'm also hoping you all will chime in if I forget something important, or if you know of something I don't. We'll arrive in London (from Italy) late Friday night, but we won't have to worry about jetlag - yeah! We'll then have five full days before leaving on Thursday for Bath.

We're renting a room in an apt thru Air B&B, so I won't need any downtime to play house (like I will in the Cotswolds). I lovelovelove London but haven't been there since 2006. I want to revisit some old favorites and finally get around to some places I've never been to. At some point I'll try to narrow the list and to group activities together in hopefully, some logical order.

Here, in no particular order, are some of the things we'd like to see and do:

• Victoria & Albert Museum. We've only been there once before, and this is a must-see, altho I'm not sure how much time to alot.
  • London Eye. We did this once before during the day, but it was cloudy and overcast, so I might be tempted to do it again if it's a beautiful day. BUT......our apt is very near the Eye, so I'm also thinking it would be cool to see London at night from the Eye.
  • Westminister Abbey and a walk along the Thames. Again, close to our apt, so perhaps a nice thing for first thing in the morning - or later in the evening.
  • Kew Gardens. It will be summer, but unless it's unseasonable hot, I'd like to spend a few hours here. Are there areas that I should seek out? I seem to remember reading that it's quicker to go by Tube than by boat, so that's probably what we'll do - we've cruised the Thames before.
  • British Museum and/or Library. Both of these places could probably suck up hours and hours - so help me decide which one to visit (or if both are must-sees!), and if you have secret treasures to share with me at either place! We'be been to the British Museum before but never to the Library.
  • A play or musical. This may need to be decided on either waaay in advance, or at the very last minute. I really don't want to stand in line for last minute tickets because my time is just too short, so I'm thinking I'll need to decide and buy tickets to something by....April at the latest. Or sooner? Any recommendations?
  • Regents Canal area. I've never been to this area and heard it's charming - maybe a nice place for a walk, or picnic? Advice and ideas welcome.
  • A walking tour of some sort. Historical? Foodie? I'm not even sure what my options are. A pub crawl would be great for Art, but since I don't like beer, I'm not sure I would enjoy it - or would I? I'm not particularly interested in a ghost tour.
  • Markets. This is a big maybe. I don't plan on doing much shopping at all, and especially not in London where prices will be higher and I'll have to schlep whatever I buy to Bath, and then to the Cotswolds, so I'm wondering if a market is even worth our time. We visited Portobello Rd market last time we were in London and found it a bit overwhelming - and discouraging because we couldn't really buy anything then either.
  • High Tea. Or should we just wait til we get to the Cotswolds? I really won't have any dressy clothes, so perhaps tea in the Cotswolds might be a little less formal?
  • St Paul's. It's been so long since I was there - this is a must-see.
  • The Tower. Ditto - except what about getting reservations for the Key Ceremony? I think I did this on my first visit to London back in 1985 - but I barely remember it!
  • I know one day our friends Janet and Stephen will come into London, probably for lunch. They may have suggestions for where to eat, but I'm open to suggestions. We've eaten at the Dickens Inn and Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese - those are the only 2 I can remember. Other than HRC I don't know anything about London restaurants.
  • I don't have much interest in seeing the changing of the Guard, or Buckingham Palace, or the Dungeon Museum.
  • I love the open-top bus tours for the nice overview they give you - but is it a practical use of our time?
I think that's it for now! Feel free to tell me YOUR favorite sites in London, and thanks in advance.

I lived on the outskirts for several years many years ago. Not long back from UK but only spent one day in London visiting relatives.not Unfortunately it looks like the poppy installation at tower of london is only on until November 11, otherwise I would say definitely check it out http://poppies.hrp.org.uk/

If you've been on the Eye then an alternate would be The Shard... amazing views. http://www.theviewfromtheshard.com/en/

My trip back a few years ago, I walked all along the southbank as it had changed considerably from when I lived there.

I've got some london links on pinterest you can check out, includes some walking tours and afternoon tea places. I did the Mad Hatter's tea a few years back, gimmicky but fun. http://www.pinterest.com/fmtravelbug/london/

I don't know London well, but have a few notes.

Victoria & Albert. I think the Devonshire Hunting Tapestries are on display now. They were years ago, but then they were hidden away for many years. We have seen them and they are beautiful.

Walk along the Thames. Were you a fan of that UK TV show "Spooks" (called MI5 in the US)? I wrote a blog post in 2008 of our Spooks Tour of London.

Kew Gardens. Hampton Court, the home of bad-boy Henry VIII, is past Kew Gardens. We visited there a few years ago and loved it. Maybe you could see it on the same day?

British Museum. In March we went into London to meet @Shannon and we all went to the British Museum to see one thing - the Parthenon Sculptures (also called the Elgin Marbles). They were spectacular. And going to see them you walk right past the Rosetta Stone!!

Pub Crawl. I have not been on one, except years ago when some friends dragged us through several pubs in Hampstead, but I think it would be fun. Many pubs have an interesting history.

Afternoon Tea in the Cotswolds is very casual. But people love doing the more formal tea in London. I don't think you have to be really dressed up.

Liberty. This is my favorite store in London. We go in and walk around each floor. I am a knitter, so I love the floor with yarns, fabrics, needlepoint. We bought a replica of a William Morris weaving here once (it went to the US and them moved back here with us and is hanging in our living room). And I bought some Liberty print aprons that I still use. The building is beautiful too. And they do tea there.

Buses. There are some regular bus routes that pass through the main tourist areas. They are not open air, but you can sit in the top and enjoy the view. I don't know which routes but I have read articles about them.

Thanks! I never realized you can go up in the Shard, so that might be a cool experience!

We'll definitely walk along the Thames, but I don't think I ever saw "Spooks" or MI5 - if I did I don't remember a thing!

We've been to the British Museum at least twice before, but of course you can never get tired of seeing the things they have!

I've been to Harrods, but never to Liberty, and yes, I've heard their fabrics are beautiful. I was thinking about Liberty after watching "The Paradise" and "Selfridge" on PBS. I don't think Selfridges has quite the appeal it did way back when!

I've never heard anyone say that Hampton court Palace was a must-see, but if Pauline gives it a thumbs up, then it's something to consider for the day we go to Kew Gardens.

Thanks for the comments and ideas! Fmax, I've saved your Pinterest page - I'm sure it will come in handy!

I found an old list I had put together - prices probably out of date but pdf should provide links directly to websites. Also info on a walk that includes movie locations.

Attachments

• Notting Hill.pdf
    133 KB · Views: 24
Thanks - I've saved a version of this to help with my planing. I especially like the walk from the V&A to Albert hall then Kensington Palace - I've never walked in that area and it's time I checked it out!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina