• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Florence Florence (Firenze), Residenza Il Carmine, apartments

Pauline

Forums Admin
Residenza Il Carmine
http://www.residenzailcarmine.com/
Apartments in the Santo Spirito area of Florence.

This review was collected on the Slow Europe website and has been copied here.

Reviewed by: Pokey @PokeyMindy
Reviewed on: June 7, 2009
Date of Stay: spring 2009
Vacation Rental Name: Domus Apartment

Residenza Il Carmine is located in the Oltrarno, just across the Ponte alla Carraia. Only a 10-15 minute walk to Piazza Signoria/Uffizi. 2 bridges to the west of the Ponte Vecchio. Quiet street just off of Via Santa Monaca. A great location away from the touristy area, more of a neighborhood feel and experience.
You can walk to anything you need! Magi Market is a block away, great bakeries, bars for morning caffe and cornetto, internet points, great restaurants just minutes away. Did I mention it's a great location? :)

The building has been around for hundreds of years. I think Filippo Lippi lived next door or one of the Lippi's. I would imagine Brunelleschi himself walked along this street at one time or another! All of their apartments are in excellent shape. I've also stayed in Mirra apartment.

I think there are 5 other apartments, maybe 6. When you walk into the building off of the street you enter a foyer which has a staircase for other tenants who live in the building, along with mailboxes. You enter another door which leads you to a long hallway and the Domus apartment door is on the left. Directly at the end of that hallway is a beautiful glass door which leads you into the garden and garden apartments.

The garden is filled with roses, lilacs, calla lilies, herbs; I don't know all the names, but it's lovely. This was the first time I was there during "primavera" and I was delighted with all of the foliage and blossoms. There are a few tables and chairs to sit outside for morning coffee or reading in the afternoon. Binoculars are good to have as there are a lot of birds who fly around the Basilica di Santa Maria del Carmine which you can see from the garden. Listening to the bells of the church ringing is music to my ears!!

The furniture is in great shape. Domus apartment has a gorgeous dining area with large table and 6 chairs. There is plenty of storage (with extra blankets and pillows) in the huge china cabinet/hutch. Living room has sofa bed, day bed, chairs, TV, gorgeous bookcase, a small room off to the side has a safe, iron and ironing board.
Comfy beds and day bed. I did not sleep on the sleeper sofa. The main bedroom has 2 twin beds which can be put together for a double/queen. Large armoire with plenty of storage and coat hangars, also a large bureau with 3 or 4 drawers. Large bathroom near the front entrance with shower stall, no bath tub. Small bathroom in the bedroom. Spotlessly clean and great water pressure. Daily towel change. The towels aren't terry cloth, more of a plain cotton feel to them. They are absorbent, but not the same as terry cloth. The bedroom has large windows which face the garden. There are lovely lace curtains which do offer privacy but if you want total darkness you can close the big shutters from the outside. (You may be able to shut these from the inside but I don't know for sure).

In the kitchen, there are plenty of dishes, pots and pans, french coffee press and moka Italian stovetop percolator. The apartment has a stove and small refrigerator, no oven. There is a microwave. I had everything I needed. The door off the kitchen leads you to the garden.

I love this place so much! The Li Pira family, including Maria, their affectionate English bulldog are the nicest people ever! Miriam, Emilio and Caterina are so helpful and kind. Their English is very good and they are a joy to deal with. They will help you in any way they can. This is the 4th time I've stayed here and I wouldn't stay anywhere else when visiting Florence. (I've also stayed in Mirra apartment, in 2004 and 2005 which I also enjoyed very much).

I still love and adore staying here! My last visit was in September. The family may not be renting for much longer....I will be sad that's for sure! But they said they'd always have a room for me. If I hear anything for certain I'll post about it.

M

I also stayed at an apartment at Il Carmine, the one called Masaccio.
I would imagine I found this through Mindy's review. Sad to hear they may end their rentals.

We just left Florence and Il Carmine. This was our second visit in the Oro apartment. It's small but functional and the gardens expand the space. They also have a beautiful roof terrace. Miriam and Emilio are incredibly welcoming and treated us as old friends. We second every positive thing that Mindy has mentioned!

Peg, lovely to hear you were there fairly recently and all is well. I won't get to Florence this year nor probably next year. I miss my "other home". I was in Friuli in May and heading to Sicily in Sept. No time to make a pit stop in Florence :D:D

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina