• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

From The New York Times: 36 hours in Bucharest

Doru, so it was the San Diego GTG where we met face to face. I wondered if that were the case. In case you looked at what I posted above before I copied Cristine's idea (which I forgot to do), they are there now.

Jane, the only suggestion I would have at this time is to get the pro and cons of overnighting in Braşov vs in Sighişoara, what will you gain, what will you miss. The last time I was in Braşov was in 2009, for a drive through. We stayed only a few hours, visited the pedestrian mall with the medieval city and the amazing BIserica Neagra (The Black Church), had coffee and some amazing pastries. But in 1958 we stayed in Braşov for our one week honeymoon, at the then most famous hotel, called ARO. It is still there, called now Aro Palace. It may be a 5 star hotel these days. Expensive.

I have wonderful memories of the beautiful mountain towns Sinaia and Predeal. Between Predeal and Brasov there is a small locality, called Timişul de Sus (High Timiş), where I spent many adolescence summers. I even had a girlfriend there (much before I met Josette!!), the daughter of the railway station master. I must have been 15, 16? I wonder where would she be these days...

You see what you have done, Jane? You sent me down memory lane. Maybe tonight I'll dream of those now unattainable times and places.

P.S.: In future posts I will stop using diacritics; lots of work! D.

Hi Doru, I've just now seen your last reply. Thanks for your thoughts and the really interesting article. I have perused it now and will sit down and enjoy it with a glass of wine later. BTW, how is the wine in Romania?

We have decided to stay in Sighisoara as Ken is fascinated by the description of it and it seems to be a smaller village or town. Had I read your description of Brasov, maybe we would have done that. But, now arrangements are made in Sighisoara and Sibiu. I loved reading your memories of life there going all the way back to high school years. Have you ever written of growing up in an Eastern bloc country? When we traveled in several of those right after the walls fell, I immersed myself in reading any book I could find about those days. Today I was going through bookshelves to begin purging things but couldn't put any of those in the give away pile. I was reading of Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungry as those were where we went.

Lets keep up talking as I know you have much to share that would enhance our trip. Did you dream of happy memories after sharing them. I love the railway station romance.

Since you were at my house for the GTG, I am going to go back in pictures to see if I can find you. The problem may be that I had no picture taking phone then so it will be more difficult.

Jane

Hi, Jane!

Wine in Romania: excellent, but somewhat different than the wines we drink in North America. They come mostly from the German wine tradition in terms of the process of vinification. Many interesting wines, many sourced from vines native to the region. I like more the Romanian whites but the sugar and alcohol levels in many of the whites is MD/11%, "unacceptable" to the North American palate. There are, of course, dry ones and reds, and Cris will surely expand on this. Also Shanon!

No, I have not written about growing in an Eastern European country but I touched the topic quite a bit in my 2009 trip report Tempus Fugit - A Return to Bucharest, 48 years later...

Somehow, Romania was unjustly neglected by major historians, while Hungary, Poland, (former) Czechoslovakia, (former) Yugoslavia were considered "juicier" topics. Then, Romania and the Romanian language belong in the Romance, Latin based world, quite an island in a sea of Slavic countries with the access to the Westerns Europe cut off by Hungary. Romanians represent a very large block among the world speaking Romance languages (other: Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, French, Catalan, and a lot of regional dialects rooted into the major languages I mentioned). Historically, the Romanian culture was under the French sphere of influence until the Communists reoriented the culture towards Russia. The language based actually on the Italian language: at the beginning of the 19th century there were intellectuals in the Romanian Principalities who advocated adopting the Italian as the national language! The end result was that much of the spelling and pronunciation of Romanian are similar to the Italian. But linguists believe that among the family Romanian is closest to Spanish! There is an amazing book on Romance languages but no fear, we are not going there!!

However, I want to recommend you a book which is, I think, a most objective one, written by a Western observer: "In Europe's Shadow" by Robert D. Kaplan. The title says it all. It covers Mr. Kaplan's observations about Romania over a period of about 30 years and provides a lot of background informative material.

San Diego GTG: I may have some pictures from your home. I hope. Not Sure. But I will look.

Until next time!

I just remembered a beef and anecdote of mine:

Very often, when I meet people for the first time, the conversation goes inevitably to "Where are you from?" I always answer :"From Canada'" And then the questioner says: "Yes, but where are you from?" I answer: "I was born in Romania." To which the person, all now clear, says: "Ah, from Budapest!" Which kills me...

Jane, I have a bunch of pictures from San Diego, including from the evening you hosted. I will email to Pauline to see if she can suggest a not too labour intensive way to send them to you. Stand by!

I just remembered a beef and anecdote of mine:

Very often, when I meet people for the first time, the conversation goes inevitably to "Where are you from?" I always answer :"From Canada'" And then the questioner says: "Yes, but where are you from?" I answer: "I was born in Romania." To which the person, all now clear, says: "Ah, from Budapest!" Which kills me...
Well, now, that is funny. Do they get confused or do they not know better?

Jane, I have a bunch of pictures from San Diego, including from the evening you hosted. I will email to Pauline to see if she can suggest a not too labour intensive way to send them to you. Stand by!
Thanks

I suggested the Doru upload the GTG photos to Dropbox or Google photos. I probably have photos from that party too. I will look.

---
Was the San Diego SlowTrav GTG in 2009? I can't find any photos of mine from it.

Last edited:
I suggested the Doru upload the GTG photos to Dropbox or Google photos. I probably have photos from that party too. I will look.

---
Was the San Diego SlowTrav GTG in 2009? I can't find any photos of mine from it.

And I don't have Jane's email address.

And I don't have Jane's email address.

Hi Pauline
So good to hear from you. I’m excited about going to Doru's hometown and country. It really is fun to reconnect with old friends. As far as the pictures, I was just hoping to find one of him and Josette at the GTG. I think I was so busy that I didn’t take many photos. I will try to be better about sharing in SE and maybe do a trip report. It’s been a long time since I’ve done one of those. We shall see.

My email is {pauline removed this}.

Hello to Steve
Jane.

{I removed the email so it isn't in a public forum and will send it to Doru. We have Private Messaging here which is good for something like this. Click the member name and you have an option to start a conversation.}

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, Jane. Maybe I overthought the issue. If I took the pictures, most likely Josette and I won't be in them. Still, I will look this up and, if not from San Diego, I will send you one from Toronto or Bucharest.

OK, Jane. Maybe I overthought the issue. If I took the pictures, most likely Josette and I won't be in them. Still, I will look this up and, if not from San Diego, I will send you one from Toronto or Bucharest.

i would love that

I just read your first two posts of your 2009 trip report. It is beautiful reading learning some about you, your country and your experiences. At times, I even felt tears as I read of your moments visiting your past. I particularly felt that when you went to the restaurant of your wedding dinner. I feel fortunate to read this before we go. I will read more later and look forward to that time with you.

Thank you, Jane. I sent you a picture taken in front of the statue of George Enescu, the great Romanian composer. It is at a central spot, on the beautiful tree-lined boulevard Magheru at the corner of the street that carries the name of the composer. Every two years, in September, the memory of Enescu is celebrated in one of the largest European festival of classical music. In alternate years there are competitions in his name for young composers and instrumentalists.

Andrew just sent me this picture from the GTG.
72E72702-036F-4A5A-9379-EFF4B0FE48D7.jpeg

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina