• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Going to Le Marche in May - Suggestion Box Open

Penn251

100+ Posts
We have rented a house near Tolentino for a couple of weeks in May 2020. While we have explored different areas in Italy many times, this will be our first time in Le Marche. Please give us your list of "must do"experiences, sights, restaurants, nature, craftspeople, agritours etc. We will have a car so access is not a limiting factor. Thanks for your advice.

My suggestion for le Marche is always to choose multiple locations for long stays because it's a long and hilly region and it's not very easy to go North to South.
This said, since you already have your location don't miss Abbadia di Fiastra, Urbisaglia, lago di Fiastra (don't mix the two Fiastra... Completely different places), Montottone (Bozzi pottery). My favorite salami maker is Fattorie Biologiche Scibé and it's located in Grottazzolina and my friends who live down there love Bioagriturismo La Conca in Smerillo.

Wow, loaded question. We lived in Ascoli Piceno for almost three years and still didn't see everything as there is so much. You will be at the start of sagra season so be sure to look for the fliers for those announcements. I'd recommend get at map of the region at the tourist office in Macerata and just start going for drives and discover!

Loreto - duomo with Mary's house inside, said to have been flown there by angels in the 1200's. Also has a lovely arcaded piazza. Osimo - 13th century duomo with mosaics. Jesi - 14 century walled city. Ascoli Piceno is a lovely city. Macerata - Renaissance arcades, and clock tower. Lots of cute small towns, many with tunnels under the town streets. Try the dessert wine vin cotto, and the flatbread "crescia", along with anything grilled.

It really depends on what you consider a reasonable drive for day trips. One of my favorite cities is Urbino--the Galleria Nazionale delle Marche in the Palazzo Ducale is amazing. San Leo is also lovely, but it's a bit far from you. At the opposite end of the region, Ascoli Piceno is also a beautiful spot. For nature, the Furlo Gorge and Frasassi Caves are great. Senigallia is definitely worth a visit. Even if you're not a beachy person, Senigallia is known for its restaurants. On a clear day, Cingoli has sweeping views.

I would highly recommend Peter Greene's book, Le Marche: an insider's guide, which gives you everything you could possibly want to know about the region. (I think Peter's property, where we have stayed twice, is listed on this site.)

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina