• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Google Street View is sometimes quite out-dated

joe

1000+ Posts
I had a funny experience while using Street View to look for a certain business in the Italian countryside, that we had been to in 2016. The establishment appeared in its name on Google Maps, and the appropriate details (general info, photos, etc.) popped up when clicking on the name.
However, when taking a look at the place on Street View, the place seemed closed down : it was looking run-down and had a "for sale" sign on it.

I thought : Oh, no! One of the best places we ran into on that trip perhaps didn't survive the corona crisis, or times got hard, or whatever - and the place had to close. Even the domain of the website had been taken.

On second thought, I decided that this was a bit strange, because there were good reviews of the place from the last six months. Things apparently cleared up when I finally checked from which year the imagery in Street View was taken : it was 2011! So actually I am guessing that this was how the place looked like before it was purchased and turned into the business it is. And Street View for this area is nine years old...

So I learned something I had not noticed previously - Street View is of course not completely up-to-date, but it can be seriously out of date in areas that are not frequented very much. I wonder how they decide to update....

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina