• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Grapehops tour in northern Portugal

I'll certainly be interested in their views of the wines, which can be a little 'particular' but I do rather enjoy Dao & Bairrada (and Beiras). Indeed a rather weird Dao Touriga Nacional was on the dining table this evening.

Just a quick post to note we have completed our first two days--and what fun days those have been! We did a walking tour on Saturday late in the day, followed by many small courses of food and wine. Today, we walked to the Gaia side of the river, took a short river cruise, and then went to the Graham Port Cellars for a fabulous lunch, with a tour and tasting. We finished the day with a fun evening of wine tasting and great food at Provo Wine. Shannon Essa has--once again---put together a terrific tour!

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
After Porto we moved to Ponte de Lima, which is in the Vinho Verde wine region, for three nights. We stayed in a charming hotel near the Rio Lima. Ponte de Lima is on the pilgrim trail, so we saw a fairly large number of pilgrims during our stay. In addition to wine tastings and tours, we (of course) had many good meals.

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0690.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

With the mention of Vinho Verde, I had a lovely glass of 2008 Quinta de Soalheiro (may have been the reserva) last week. It was ageing brilliantly, with great complexity, yet still retaining the freshness that VV should never lose.

How were the Aphros wines - they seem an interesting range?

Ponte de Lima, my favourite town in Northern Portugal. The wine co-op there generously gave me an individualized tour during harvest season. Unlike the area's quintas they concentrated on providing ordinary table wine for the family table.

Ponte de Lima, my favourite town in Northern Portugal.

I agree. I loved that town. We walked some of the Pilgrim trail heading north and swam in the river at the next town up the river (Ponte da Barca). I would like to go back and stay there. There is a trail that goes along the river, all the way to Viana do Castello (where we stayed). We have not walked it, but I read about it.

I really loved Ponte de Lima. It was my first time in the region and I am so glad I came on this trip. I am also enjoying the Douro. We are near Pinhao on the river and it is warmer and very lovely.

While we were in Pinhao we (of course) had several wine tastings and great meals. In true Shannon Essa style, we had two spectacular lunches in outdoor settings. One was in the vineyards at a Sandaman estate and one was in the Cao valley before we saw ancient rock etchings. We returned to Porto yesterday and the group dispersed this morning, either to return home or to continue their fun in other locations. It has been a fabulous week and I will miss our GrapeHops group and have fond memories of my time in Northern Portugal.

IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

IMG_0769.JPG

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

The wines from Aphros are interesting. They are all biodynamic, so if you have ever tried biodynamic wine you know it is a little different. Everyone liked the white, the 80%white 20%red blend was not a hit (though I liked it.)
Thanks for this - I've tried a few 'natural' wines recently and they can divide opinion even more!

Ian, I have a second tour starting Thursday and will have a winemaker (Rick Longoria) along... we are going to Soalheiro. Also to the Vinho Verde festival in Ponte do Lima on Saturday night. I am interested to try the Soalheiro wines.

I've been drinking so much intense Douro red that last night at dinner with Jan I was stoked to see a pinot noir - also from Douro - on the wine menu. I had to get it but I was worried that region is too hot for pinot noir. Was very happy with that bottle of wine, though some purists would kill me for ordering it. Just found it in the wine shop across the street from my apartment - looks like my dinner will be cheese and Douro pinot noir :)

Hi Shannon
I'll be interested in what you make of them. Some use of oak, but it seemed subtle enough to avoid losing the freshness. Would that be Niepoort? I know they do a Pinot Noir from the Douro. Certainly plenty of big wines in Portugal, but then the likes of Vinho Verde, Colares, Bairrada etc. that are a world apart. Maybe a little Presunto to go with the cheese? Enjoy - simple can be very good indeed.
regards
Ian

I'm not a wine enthusiast so this tour wouldn't be for me.

However I am interested in visiting Portugal for the first time.

Particularly interested in going in the early spring, because parts of the country at least seems to be fairly dry and get a good amount of sun, even in March and early April.

But Northern Portugal doesn't appear to benefit from this kind of weather that Lisbon and points south benefit from.

Anyone ever visit Porto in the spring?

wco81 I was in northern Portugal last April, mid month for two weeks and the weather was not good. Many days were stormy, or constant rain, and it was cold. At the end of my trip it got nice for one day.

Ian the pinot noir is Quinta de Cidro. We had a very enjoyable tasting at Soalheiro - one of my favorites so far. They are doing some cool stuff.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina