• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Guess this photo - April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauline

Forums Admin
Guess where this is!

quiz-7110.jpg

Ann probably knew that I would recognize the market in Nyons. That's where you get the best olives in France.

This is obviously from the same country, different region. It was taken a few years ago; perhaps the cleaning is further along by now.
IMG_3594.JPG

That's not Reims cathedral is it?

No, it's not as well known as Reims. In fact, I can't recall having heard of it before my husband said he wanted to stop there.

Beauvais Cathedral? I think...
Saw a show a couple years ago on PBS and googled the show...
sure enough it sure looks like it.

Exactly right, Colo. Saint-Pierre de Beauvais was built in the 13th century with the idea that it would be the tallest and most splendid cathedral ever. Unfortunately its buttresses were too thin to support its weight and it partially collapsed before it was finished. Here's another photo of the interior showing how it has had to be propped up inside. But it is still pretty spectacular and definitely worth a visit. It's not far from Amiens, which is another magnificent Gothic cathedral, and if I recall correctly, now holds the title of the tallest intact cathedral.

IMG_3601.JPG

The Cathedrals of Europe are so beautiful and truly a wonder.
However, I am going to change it up and post a picture that is ugly and makes me wonder how.
quess008.jpg

Four different sports fields. A running track. Soccer nets. And what are those white buildings around the edge? Or is it fence? Graffiti. Things don't look well maintained. Overcast sky. Is this in the U.K.?

I reckon a motor racing circuit, the road looking maintained, but with what was the winners podium in disrepair. Possibly a big historic venue that may have no more need of the old podium such as Spa (I see a few trees!)?

Do you think that bit in front of the "podium" is for cars? I thought it was a field, but now that I look more carefully I see it is part of the track - but for runners I think.

Hi Pauline
No, for the 3 winning drivers :)
regards
Ian

Pauline - no not England, and Ian you are correct the track is for cars.

Looking at the orange graffiti, it appears to end in ....mmer - not sure how much of a clue that is, but the 'soil' looks remarkably sandy, so let's take a another guess at Zaandvoort, once home to the Dutch Grand Prix and on the coast.

Zaandvoort it is not, and I should have credited you with another partial correct answer - it was a historic venue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina