• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Guided hiking in England, Wales or Scotland?

reajackson

10+ Posts
So this might be a reach....
My daughter (who hikes with me on long excursions) is wanting to hike in England, Wales or Scotland.
We learned last year in the Dolomites that we like having a guide (this after doing a self guided tour).

Does anyone on this forum have a recommendation for hiking outfits either Stateside or in the UK that have guides to help us?

We are planning Sept 2024 for our tour.

Thanks in advance.
Rea Jackson
Denver

There are many hiking outfits in the UK. Most of them offer self guided hikes, but you could enquire about having a guide. What about joining a small hiking group?

If you are looking at the Cotswolds, I recommend Cotswold Walks, but I don't know if they offer a guide. They are a small, local company and may have contacts with guides.

Macs Adventures off self guided hikes in many places in the UK and Europe. You could see what they have to say:

The Ramblers group is a non-profit group in the UK. It looks like they offer small group hiking around the UK and Europe.

If you find some good options for private guides, could you let me know?

Also, tell me what areas you are interested in. I do remember someone who does private guided walks in the Winchester area.

Hi Pauline and Eleanor.....
Thank you for the tips - I will look at the sites you recommended. Daughter and I hiked 12 days in Switzerland in 2022 and another 12 in the Dolomites a few months ago and found we like guides. We are not averse to self guided but hiking the Dolomites on our own even though the hotels and accommodations / transfers were all pre arranged it still had its challenges.

There are many long distance trails across the UK which are all well walked, well signpoosted and have guide books with maps. There are then numerous walks too of varying lengths. All of these can be walked without a dedicated guide. There are also support companies who will provide baggage transfer for you.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina