• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

help me choose an apartment in Rome

jan

100+ Posts
We are planning a 3 month trip for Spring 2018 which will include a week in Rome in April.
In looking at apartments, I am wondering where I want to be. This first one seems perfect for us, roomy enough, quiet, comfortable, cookable kitchen and washing machine:

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p514597vb

But, it's a bit more than I want to spend, of course.

The others that seem a good fit are farther out of the centro--like in San Giovanni or Testaccio.
Here are a couple of links I've bookmarked:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/sa...30bccc0bd1c62beX1;type=total;ucfs=1&#tab-main

And this one looks good if I can live with the colors in the bathroom:

https://www.vrbo.com/1903663ha

Anyway, if you have time, take a look at these and give me some feedback. I will really appreciate it! Grazie.

I like the first one, but it might be noisy with people walking by to see the Chiesa de Sant. Ignazio.
I would pick the VRBO one in Monti, myself; and ignore the bathroom! It's far enough away from the main piazza in Monti not to be noisy I would think.

We have stayed in this apartment multiple times and love the location, the quiet nights, the sunny living area, the comfortable reading seats, the helpful and kind owner, Barbara.
We haven't been to Rome since 2013 but I see this apartment is still listed. The only caveat~it's 55 steps to the door. Good steps though, evenly spaced and level, landings and handrails.
https://www.vrbo.com/384199

Thanks, Debra--that apt. is too expensive for us. The only way we can do these long trips is by keeping the prices down as we go.

Our last time in Rome, in 2012, we stayed at Campo dei Fiori so we'd like to change it up this time. Monti and Testaccio are interesting me.

The Monti apt looks to be on the same street (via Urbana) where Dave and I stayed in Jan/16. We really liked the neighbourhood and found it a convenient location. (Close to public transportation, so great base from which to take daytrips.)

We stayed in this apartment, which is up 4-5 flights of stairs. The bathroom was a bit sketchy, and there's not much of a kitchen area. Bed was comfy enough, and overall it worked very well for us on our shoestring budget. I'm not sure I'd return - would look at other options first, but if couldn't find anything else in a similar price range, I'd consider it again.

There is one other apartment we stayed in that is reasonably priced, on via Farnesi opposite from the Palazzo Farnese. Gorgeous apartment, lush decor, lovely owner, one flight up, but the smallest kitchen and bath ever. We stayed here several times before Barbara's.
https://www.vrbo.com/221275

I don't know if this apartment is farther from the center than you would like, but we loved it when we stayed here in the fall of 2008. The owners live in NYC and use it part of the time. (She is Italian and I think she inherited the apartment.) She was great to work with and I paid by check in USD. Here is the link: casacleme.com

I won't provide a link the place we stayed in April because there were eight of us in a four bedroom apartment, but it was just off Piazza Cavour and it was a great area. Quiet, convenient, easy walking distance to the Vatican, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, etc. Great restaurants too!

I misread your post, thought several months in Rome. I'd do the Monti. System wouldn't let me delete above!

I like the Monti one too. Actually well located. Our favorite cheap apartment for bought by a new owner and they live there now so no longer available. I am a bit upset because he always promised that if he sold he would let me know.

Jan, I really like the first one. It's the neighborhood where we usually stay. I also like the one with the roof top terrace. I've never stayed over by the Vatican but always thought it was an area I would like. Some of the others felt cramped to me, and having an oven is a number one priority so I can roast those wonderful, seasonal veggies. That eliminated some that had no oven. If I were off to Rome right now, I would probably book the first one you listed without hesitation.

Ps Big reason I like number one is that there are two tables, so you can eat at one and set up your computer at the other without sharing the space. Just bookmarked that one.

I like the first one in Monti too. Nice furnishings and that roof terrace! I love the outdoor furniture made from packing slabs (or whatever you call those things). Isn't that first review from @Tery ???

I can't figure out the second one. Where is the living room? Might that street be noisy?

The third one looks like it might be dark.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina