• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help with France trip, end of May

Pauline

Forums Admin
I wanted to spend two weeks in Vaison-la-Romaine but can't find a suitable vacation rental. So then I thought one week Vaison, one week Uzes. But we spent 2+ weeks in Uzes last year. I am just being lazy. I am saving southwest France for the fall, I think.

So I need suggestions and, if possible, suggested vacation rentals. Menton? L'Isle sur Sorgue? Somewhere in the hills above the Côte d'Azur?

I want a town, not a village (I live in a village). Population 5,000 - 30,0000 maybe. Not a city. A fun place to hang out.

Not the Luberon. We spent 2 weeks there years ago and I was not captivated by the area. I love Uzes. I don't care about wine. Love historic things, walking, good cafés.

Throw your suggestions at me!

I'm not vouching for Orange or Carpentras, by the way. I've never been to Orange, but I got lost driving through Carpentras several times when I stayed in Bedoin.

I was considering this vacation rental near Vaison. I have always wanted to rent one of their places and Ann mentioned them in another thread and it reminded me to look at their site.

Six Cottages in France - Haute Provence. It is available May 24 ($1000 = 1100AUD), but is larger (and more expensive) than we need. It is in a smaller town - Buis-les-Baronnies, Dromme, Rhone-Alpes, pop 2312, elevation 319 - 1080m, 30 min from Vaison, Banks of Ouveze River. The town looks lively.

But, the bed is a double not a Queen/King and the house looks dark - only one window on the front of each floor - and it is 4 floors.

-----------------------------------------------
The vacation rental that Anne recommended in another thread and Ann mentioned above is available the first week, and it too is bigger and more expensive than we need, but she loved it and I like the view of the Roman remains. Two double bedrooms both with double 56" wide beds - which is only 4" smaller than a European King, so maybe I shouldn't complain.

(I had this post partially written before the other replies, so it may seem out of context.)

----------------
I like that L'isle sur Sorgue one you posted Ann. Do you think that would be a good town? At Home in France has a nice looking one too, but no availability calendar on their site.

We've always stayed either north or south of L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, but I think it might work for you, Pauline. It's got about 20,000 people, a variety of restaurants, a great Sunday market, a good central location -- but not the history that Vaison offers. BTW, I'm not wild about the house in Buis-les-Baronnies because the kitchen/dining areas are on a different floor from the living room, and since I cook a lot in the evening, I like to be able to talk to Paul while I'm cooking. I never use At Home in France because its prices are usually quite high.

I have ruled out Aix - too large a city for this trip.

I am back to thinking about Uzes. We were there twice last year, but still have several hikes we want to do in the area. This apartment is available for one week. They even have a movie of the apartment - what a great idea! Queen bed, big windows, no TV but internet, good location. €600/week (I sent in an enquiry)

This apartment is owned by the people we rented a larger place from in October when we were traveling there with a friend. We had a quick look at the apartment while we were there, and it was nice, but I think it is a bit too expensive for what it is. €750/week It is available the second week of our trip.

Chris, what about Bedoin? Would you advise against? At Home in France has a place there (I agree Ann, their places are expensive). $950 - $1010/week and I don't know if it is available. Plus a note says the church bells ring at night and early in the morning. We had a place like that in Locarno, Switzerland once - we were very near the bells and they rang all night.

I don't know if I like that L'Isle sur la Sorgue place Ann - it looks like it doesn't have many windows? I will look at it again. And look at Antibes and that area.

What about a real non-touristy town like Forcalquier? It's in the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence and has about 5,000 inhabitants. Friends of ours are staying in one of these apartments in June. We visited there when we were staying in Bonnieux -- it's about 40 minutes east of Apt.

You're absolutely right. Ann is The Master! She amazes me, and I think this is a terrific idea.

I think you'd find Bedoin too small and villagey for your tastes. The At Home in France listing is the place I stayed, only I rented it directly from the owner. I don't know if he still owns it but the price doesn't look like too much more than I paid.

Thank you, Chris and Pauline -- Paul says I put all the research skills I used to direct toward the law toward finding the perfect vacation rental! Here is the owner's site for your rental, Chris -- I had bookmarked it since it looked nice to me. The owner's price in low season is 550€ (U.S. $763 today), while At Home in France's price in low season is $925.

That is quite a markup! I don't like to see that.

There is availability at the Forcalquier place ( I will never be able to spell that, let alone say it). Current thought is one week Uzes, one week ForcalQ.

Charley and I were just talking today that we really like the area up around Forcalquier... it's a small town but closer to the mountains. I think you would enjoy some of the villages in that area, and you can do some hiking around the Gorges de Oppedette or on the Montagne de Lure. There are gardens we like at Salagon and Valsaintes. We like the towns of Sisteron and Manosque and there are small interesting villages nearby too.

Pauline, if you end up staying in this area, you'll want to get the Michelin Green Guide for the Alpes de Sud, since this is the Alpes de Haut Provence. The Winns cover a bit of this area in their Provence Byways book too.

We'll be in Bonnieux from April 30 until the morning of May 26. If our schedule overlaps that last weekend, maybe you can come our way and we can hike together... we'll try to show you something different in the Luberon that may captivate you this time. :)

I was hoping you'd chime in, Kathy, since we went to Forcalquier based on your advice.

Flights booked! I compared taking the train with flying and the prices were not that different, so we are flying. We will take the train from Stroud to Reading then take a bus to Heathrow. Fly to Marseilles and pickup up a rental car.

One night in Aix (short drive from the airport), then a week in Uzes at that apartment I found. This apartment is usually Friday - Friday which would have worked well for us (the best flight prices were Friday and Uzes big market is Saturday), but it seems like they switched to Saturday bookings in May.

I went back and forth on this and finally decided that we really like Uzes and there is still more to see and do there. We will spend a day in Vaison, driving from Uzes.

Then six nights in Forcalquier at the apartments Ann recommended. Fly home on the Friday.

A nice two week trip! Thanks for your help everyone!

Kathy, we move from Uzes to Forcalquier on Saturday May 24, so will be able to see you on the Sunday if that works best for you? You are probably taking your last group to the train on the Saturday.

I'm envious.
I am too! We loved the week we spent about 5 minutes from Uzes and want to return, staying IN Uzes this time, in that apartment you found, Pauline. Pauline or Chris, did you all visit the Gorges de l'Ardeche last time? If not, be sure to do that this time.

We too are envious. The apts you have booked Pauline, look really really nice. Have bookmarked them for next year.

Have a wonderful trip.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina