• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Hiking in Grindelwald

Pauline

Forums Admin
I am getting ready for our two weeks of hiking in Grindelwald and wanted to post some online resources for hikes because it took me ages to find them.

Grindelwald sits in a valley with good hiking on the slopes of both sides of the valley. This PDF shows the whole valley and the hiking routes.

The south slope is accessed by the Mannlichen Gondola on one side (two stops - Holenstein middle station, Mannlichen at the top) and a cog train on the other (Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg with a few stops). There are various hikes across the valley usually starting from the gondola station and walking to a train station. This website lists the walks: www.maennlichen.ch

The north slope is accessed two bus routes on one side (Grindelwald to Bussalp and Grindelwald to Waldspitz), the First Gondola in the middle (three stops, Bort is the middle station), and the bus to Grosse Scheidegg on the other side (several stops). This website lists the walks: www.jungfrau.ch

There is one another gondola which goes to a smaller hiking area, the Pfingstegg Gondola.

All walks from the area are also listed on Grindelwald.ch but it is not as easy to use as the ones above.

The mountain rides are insanely expensive and so is the 6 day pass you can purchase (255.00CHF/$277 which is 42.50CHF/$46 per day). This page on jungfrau.ch lists the prices for all the mountain rides except the buses. The website for the Grindelwald bus gives some prices but not all. (In contrast, hiking in the Gstaad area is 13CHF per day.)

This map shows the routes on the north slope.

gwb_karte_wandern-720.jpg

These notes are rough and I will add to them as my research progresses. Tourist offices in Switzerland are usually very good and will have all this information, but I want to make some plans before we go so I have an idea of which hikes we will do.

After much agonizing I decided we will purchase the Half Fare Card for 120CHF each. It lasts for a month (but we are there only 2 weeks) and gives you half price on all trains and most buses and mountain rides. I think it will pay for itself after six days. It gives us the most flexibility. The 6 day pass only works out to be a good rate if you use it every day - and you might get a bad weather day.

I am checking with the tourist office that the Half Fare Card can be used with all the different mountain rides in the area. We can also have a day hiking at other area and use it (Meiringen and Kandersteg are what I am thinking).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina