• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

HomeAway renter reviews of members ?

Dave123

10+ Posts
I have just received an e-mail notice of a (complimentary) review of myself submitted to HomeAway by the owner of the property that we have recently rented in Italy.

The message also says: "La recensione di XXX è stata aggiunta al tuo profilo e sarà visibile ai proprietari con cui sei in contatto." - 'The review of XXX has been added to your profile and will be visible to the owners you are in contact with.'

No doubt (?) there are several other reviews associated with our earlier rentals.

Does anyone know how an HA member can view reviews of themselves by third-parties on HomeAway ?

Last edited:
I received the same thing today from a house I rented in France a couple of weeks ago!

I found this explanation: What is a traveler review?

"Owners and property managers can rate their guests who book through HomeAway, VRBO or VacationRentals.com. These ratings are shown as an aggregate to owners with online booking when a traveler submits a reservation request. ... Traveler reviews are not public; owners and property managers with online booking can view the average star rating of travelers with whom they are corresponding."

It says we can see them in our profile, but I can't see mine. I did receive an email notification with the review.

From that same page: "Travelers who receive ratings, will be able to see the aggregated ratings within their profile. In addition, they will receive an email notification when new ratings are added."

Appropriate that your user name is Dave123 because this is my third reply to your comment.

I have been booking through HomeAway for years and this is the first review I have received. I bet they just started this. @Kathy lists on HomeAway - do you know anything about this?

We rent our guest house on homeaway and this rating the guests is still pretty new. Airbnb has been doing it all along so they jumped on it to keep up with them. As a owner I can see their star rating if I click on a link that says "learn more about me". I always rate my guests but never think to check it when someone is inquiring on the rental.

This seems weird to me. Most of the time I never even meet the people I rent from. I can't imagine what they would say beyond "didn't steal or break anything, didn't leave a mess and I didn't get complaints from the neighbors or police." It could be a way for the owner to get even if the renter complained about anything. It seems like it takes the whole transaction to an unpleasant place.

Conspicuous by its absence seems to be an opportunity to rate the booking service provider/platform ;-)

Last edited:
Conspicuous by its absence seems to be an opporutnity to rate the booking service provider/platform ;-)

Yes! I would tell them to take the ads off! We are paying a fee to book, the properties are paying to be listed - and you still need to make money from ads?

I like the feature in Airbnb. Both renter and owner/ host rate each other. You don't get to see what each has written until both are submitted so aren't influenced by one another's reviews. I use Airbnb and find the reviews very helpful. I know that host/owners read what has been said about me.

The feature is only available when they owner allows online booking and payment, which is why you have not seen it, Kathy. They basically just have you rate your guest 1- 5 stars on a couple different categories.

This seems weird to me. Most of the time I never even meet the people I rent from. I can't imagine what they would say beyond "didn't steal or break anything, didn't leave a mess and I didn't get complaints from the neighbors or police." It could be a way for the owner to get even if the renter complained about anything. It seems like it takes the whole transaction to an unpleasant place.
Mmm Chris, that has not been my experience with Airbnb. I have met and communicated with most of the people I have rented from. I have never read anything on Airbnb that sounded like anyone was trying to get even or hurt a renter or owner. Unlike TA, most reviews are very civil. I've been surprised at how carefully worded they have been.
I don't want to sound like a cheer leader for Airbnb, but I have found their process useful and fairly reliable.

To find HA reviews which I have submitted:

My Trips > Past Trips > [click on a property where I have submitted a review] > [click on property] > [locate review] > [click on my name] > Reviews I've Given

Which showed the full set of my HA reviews.

NB Firefox (54.0.1) currently cannot succesfully print the reviews, but IE11 can (though poorly formatted)

Please disregard the above advice about locating your HA reviews. The HA web site design appears to have changed since and I can't trace:

a) any of my vacation reviews

b) full booking details for previous HA rentals (the 'click through' doesn't work in either Firefox (64.0 x64) or IE11).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina