• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Hot Springs near Greve

Do you want to go to a hot springs spa or find the springs out in nature? If the former, I would look at Bagno Vignoni where there are several hot springs resorts where you can go for the day, the spa at Saturnia, or the spa at San Casiano dei Bagni. Friends of mine went to the latter for a spa day.

The San Casciano dei Bagni spa is the Fonteverde Spa. The spa is just outside of town. The town is very small, but used to have a very good restaurant - Daniela.

The site you linked to shows the open air hot springs on the edge of town, where you walk down a country lane to find them and there are no facilities. They have a page for the spa on that site you linked to, which is a general site for the area.

One thing to remember is that San Casciano dei Bagni is in southern Tuscany, south of Cetona. There is another town near the Chianti area, near Florence, called San Casciano.

We were in Bagno Vignoni last summer. It is a delightful town in the Val d'Orcia. There are several spa hotels in the town. @Ann R has a favorite - I will email her (and check my trip report notes to see if I made a note). And remember Joanna from ST? She lives nearby. I will email her and see what she recommends.

Here are a few photos of Bagno Vignoni.

full

full

full

full

Hot Springs Spas (Terme) in Bagno Vignoni, Tuscany
List taken from this link: http://www.bagnovignoni-terme.net/

Benessare Le Terme - This is the one in the photo above. (also linked to from hotel website - http://www.albergoleterme.it/en/our-spa.html ) - Joanna recommends this one.

Hotel Posta Marcucci - I always thought this one looked nice. This link is for their spa.

Hotel Adler Thermae - Ann R likes this one.

Joanna also says: Just about 20 minutes south of Bagno Vignoni and I like the short hike down the hill and left into the woods for the free pools at the fosse Bianco.
http://www.bagnisanfilippo.eu/BagniSanFilippo/Bagni_San_Filippo.html (Italian)
http://www.bagnisanfilippo.eu/Bagni_San_FIlippo_English/Bagni_San_Filippo.html (English)
>> There is an outdoor hot springs. We went to it years ago and liked it. No facilities.
There is also a spa hotel - Spa Terme San Filippo.

Last edited:
I updated the above post to say that Joanna recommends Benessare Le Terme - the first one on the list. And to point to an English site for San Filippo.

all depends on what you are looking for, a spa? hot springs? massages? there is a small local terme very close to Greve in Falciani, Villa delle Terme. Also heading towards Lucca is Monsummano Terme with an underground natural hot water sauna-- Gambassi Terme is near Certaldo-- although I also adore heading south of Siena. Some of the "TERME" need notes from Dr's and reservations

Nice list Diva! I didn't know about these. I am adding links for them below.

Villa delle Terme in Falciani (near Greve)

Grotta Giusti Resort in Monsummano Terme (near Lucca)

Gambassi Terme near Certaldo (can't find a link to the spa)

And a good point about making sure it is a spa that anyone can use. There are many spas in Italy that people use for medical reasons. You want to find one that is more of a luxury day spa. San Casciano dei Bagni definately is. And I think the ones in Bagno Vignoi are.

So, the winner is Hotel Posta Marcucci in Bagno Vignoni (but you found a better link for it).

I think this is a good choice for several reasons:
- It uses the natural hot springs water. The hot springs in Bagno Vignoni have been used for hundreds, perhaps thousands, of years.
- It has a beautiful view of the Val d'Orcia.
- It is a bit of a drive from where you are staying, but it is a beautiful drive.
- Bagno Vignoni is a gem of a town and will be fun to visit.

On the same day you could visit Sant'Antonio, a 12th century Romanesque church, part of a former Benedictine monastery built in the 9th century (if you haven't seen it before). Or visit Montalcino, the wine town. Or Pienza.

Thanks Pauline. I will print maps out and try to get to Sant' Antonio this time. I did stay by Bill Sutherland's place one year and visited many towns in that area.

Last edited:
I have details about Sant'Antimo on the Day Trips section. I made these pages so they will print out easily with no photos.

Make note of the hours the church is open and of the chanting:
>> The church is open every day but closes from 12:30 - 15:00. If you want to hear the monks chant, aim for the mid-day chants at 12:45 and 14:45. You can go into the church for the chanting even if outside visiting hours. You cannot visit the rest of the abbey. <<

Thanks everyone. I am printing out the maps and info. today...few last minute details to take care of.
Appreciate having the info. all in one thread like this with the links.

Thanks Pauline. I also printed out the link/map to the Chianti Cashmere farm. Only open 4-7pm, but I hope I can get there again.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina