• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

How do you store your trip photos?

Pauline

Forums Admin
For years I have used Adobe Lightroom to organize my photos. I love it except for one thing - generating photos with captions. In the Library section I enter all my titles and captions which are stored in the image metadata. I create a collection for a trip in Lightroom, order the photos the way I want, export them to a folder and keep that on OneDrive where I can look at the photos from all devices. But no titles or captions.

I finally figured out how to do get photos where titles and captions are displayed. In Lightroom I generate a Slideshow from the collection and there I can make a template that displays the metadata. But I don't want to generate the Slideshow as a movie (because I have too many photos). Instead there is a trick where you can generate the slideshow as images. I put these in a folder on OneDrive and I can see all my trip photos, in order, with titles and captions.

I am now experimenting with ApplePlay from my Apple TV box to see if I can show them on the TV set from my iPad.

How do you save your trip photos so you can look at them later?

This is what one of my photos looks like now:

israel-2019-11-003.jpg

I'm all over the place with this one. When I'm travelling I try to download photos from my camera to my computer every day. I put each day/location into a folder so that I can easily edit and rename. After the photos are edited/named, I upload them to Flickr, but keep them on my computer.

When we get home I select a few photos to add to my digital picture frame, and also make a 'best of' flashdrive to view on our TV. I usually don't keep the flashdrive after we watch it.

Like my travel planning, I've gotten much more relaxed about my photos - after people see them on FB, or on the blog, I really don't use them for anything.

I had my photos in iPhoto for years (I am a Mac person). A few years ago, I finally extracted them, which was a huge project. I did a bunch of research and tried a few other programs but never found anything that really thrilled me, so I just keep them in folders/sub-folders/etc. For my older photos, I organized them into 4 folders - Hawaii, Colorado, Italy, and Friends/Family/US travel. Inside each of these folders, I organized them by year or trip or whatever worked best to sort the photos. Since stopping the use of iPhoto as my organizer/editor program, my newer photos are organized by year. Inside each year's folder, I then organize them by trip or event.

I use Photo Mechanic to add info for my photos such as trip name, a caption, etc. I use Affinity to edit my photos and a Canon program (Digital Photo Professional 4) to edit my raw images. I could use Affinity for the raw editing also, but the Canon program seems easier to use. I occasionally will out a bunch of photos in iPhoto just to look through them quickly (although Photo Mechanic will accomplish the same thing) but I don't keep my photos in iPhoto anymore as it's a bloated program and each photo ends up being much larger in size taking up too much room on my hard drive. I should mention for Mac users, that I have not graduated to the new Photos app yet. I prefer the older iPhoto for the minimum things I use it for.

I back up all of my photos on 3 different external hard drives and rotate them - keeping 2 in a safety deposit box.

This is all I have to say on the subject. :D:D:D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyMgNZHtdk8

Bulls-eye! :)
I once did the math on the amount of pics I took on our last two trips abroad, just out of curiosity. I would urge others to do this too, just for the exercise.
On the assumption that I took photos only during 12 hours of the day, the result came out to an average of about one photo every fifteen minutes. I was quite surprised, I didn't think it was this high.

OTOH, I do enjoy going over them afterwards - for me it's worth the enslavement to the tool on the trip. I also enjoy the challenge of taking a memorable shot. I only use a serious pocket camera, not a cellphone, so files are relatively large, but of high quality. We don't travel very much, so no lack of storage space.

For many years I've stopped taking photos, or at least the photos are very infrequent. I rarely would take time to look at the photos and in my hypocritical way, I didn't like the feeling/image of being a camera-toting tourist. I did take my first 'selfie' when up in the mountains of Trentino a couple of years ago. I especially didn't like doing that, so it's a first AND last time for that photographic experience!

We no longer take a camera with us on holiday, unless we're planning going mushroom hunting. The photos do get used. What ordinary photos we do take are on a mobile phone or the tablet and are put onto laptop or PC

I take at least one photo every day, whether I'm on a trip or not. I'm a member of Blipfoto.com, a daily journal site where you can post *one* photo every day, taken on that day, with or without caption and text. The exact opposite of Instagram or Facebook; it means even if you've taken dozens of photos on a given day, you have to pick one that sums up your day, or which seems appropriate for some other reason. I like the discipline. It might seem to tempt you to be constantly snapping, but I find that with time I've got more selective about what I photograph. I never go out without a camera, but that doesn't stop me just deciding to enjoy a moment rather than frantically snapping. And I love being able to look back at a particular day in the past; the one photo brings memories back. I've been doing it for over eight years now.

That said, I also post my best photos to Flickr, with particular events in albums. Like Pauline I use Lightroom, so all my photos are automatically keyworded when I upload them, making them easy to search.

I'm old-fashioned. On each trip I use my camera to take photos - not too many - store them in an album in Google photos and delete the ones I don't want and label the ones I do each day. When I get home, I put the ones I want printed on a flash drive, go to Costco and print them, and put them in a photo album that has room next to each to write details. I love turning the pages in all of our travel photo albums - much better than having to look at a computer or phone.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina