• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

International Driver's Licenses Required in France?

ElizaN

10+ Posts
I've been reading conflicting information on this on other forums. Someone suggested that the law recently changed, making the international licenses mandatory. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Thanks in advance!

Here is the official word from France, indicating that it is now necessary. There is one poster on Fodor's who swears that it's needed only if your license is in Russian, Japanese, Chinese, or some other non-European language. We rented a car in October in France without the IDP (International Driver's Permit), but I think it's probably wiser to cough up the $15 at your local AAA.

Here is the official word from France, indicating that it is now necessary. There is one poster on Fodor's who swears that it's needed only if your license is in Russian, Japanese, Chinese, or some other non-European language. We rented a car in October in France without the IDP (International Driver's Permit), but I think it's probably wiser to cough up the $15 at your local AAA.
We've driven everywhere without an IDP. I think I heard it has something to do with the police not being able to read the ID if in a language other than Western European.

You only find out if you need one if stopped by the police. Car rental companies do not ask for them. We always get one if needed but have never shown it to anyone.

We don't need one for France now because we have UK licenses.

The law requires that you have an IDP. That you will possibly not be stopped by the police and possibly not have an accident seems to me to be a rather bad reason not to have it. For example, I have not been stopped by the police and not been in an accident in the US. Would you think I did not need a valid license ? Would you advise that I not bother to get one ?

Thank you for all the information - we will definitely get IDPs. I appreciate the quick responses!

That's one HUGE difference between the U.S. and France -- in France, the police don't need probable cause to stop a driver. Our French friends say the number of random stops increases substantially on Sunday afternoons. Perhaps looking for folks who've indulged a bit too much at Sunday lunch??? Which brings up another major difference -- the BAC (blood alcohol content) limit in the U.S. is 0.08%, while in France it's 0.05%.

I don't know for sure about France but I was asked for mine when I rented a car in Sicily two years ago. And someone else was there at the same time that was turned away for not having one. I would get it just for the peace of mind.

We've found over the years in France that all gendarmes are different, and some more on the ball than others. Many (at least around here) will just wave on anyone who doesn't speak French rather than have to deal them. Stopping drivers on weekend afternoons (especially drivers who look like they're over 40) is indeed a favourite way to catch those who have had a good boozy lunch. No excuse they say- there's a law that we have to carry two breath-alyzers in the car at all times, along with reflective vests and an emergency triangle (I imagine any rental car in France will come equipped).

An English writer friend of ours was caught both speeding and drinking a few years ago, and as the gendarme was writing out a ticket, asked him what he did for a living. 'I'm a poet,' our friend replied. 'Why didn't you say so?' said the gendarme, and ripped up the ticket. Worth a try, perhaps, if you get caught...

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina