• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

iPad equivalent? Advice please

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
We'll be traveling from mid-September until mid November this year, and for a 6 week period in the very middle of that time we'll be settled in one place. I'd really like to have my laptop so that we can watch movies on a rainy day or in the evening, and so that I can have a large enough screen to edit photos.. Because we'll be moving around before and after that 6 week period, I really don't want to lug my laptop with me this year - it's too heavy, too bulky and possibly too delicate. (Last year's computer problems may have something to do with that decision).

I'm PC and Android, not Apple, and I know what ipads are, and that they're available in different sizes. I assume the PC/Android world has something equivalent, but I need some guidance. I don't need a screen as large as my laptop, but if I'm going to buy something the screen needs to be larger than my phone - something we can prop on the coffee table and watch from the couch.

IF I buy a tablet (is that the right word?), I'll want to balance price with size and functonality. So - what else can a tablet do? I'm assuming I can check my email and surf the web - but can it also store and edit photos? Or will something with that capability drive the price up and out of my range? Because we'll be traveling for so long, I'd love the chance to do some photo editing along the way, but that's just a bonus, not a necessity.

I'm still entertainling the possibility of just doing everything on my phone - maybe we'll each have to use our own phones to watch a movie, and I'll just have to edit my photos once we're back in the states.

Any advice or recommendations? TIA

A good PC to travel with is the Microsoft Surface. We both use them as our main computers at home, with monitor and keyboard attached, and as a travel computer.

I also use an Apple iPad mini. I use this all the time, even at home, because it is so handy. Email, newspapers, social media, photos from my phone upload to iCloud and then are on my iPad, Word and Excel. I watch Netflix on it. You have to download apps but it all works well. I think you can edit photos but I do that on my surface.

I bought a Surface Go 3 tablet last fall for travel (my previous travel device was a Surface 3 tablet that's about 8 years old now and I wanted an update with a USB C port so I could bring a small HDMI adapter and cable to watch movies on a TV). It comes with Windows in S Mode (reduced functionality) but you can quickly switch to normal Windows mode like on your laptop so it can do everything your laptop can. When looking at the prices remember you'll probably want to add a keyboard and either mouse and/or pen - these can add up. The only caveat I would give is that they keyboard is small with the keys smaller than you'd see on any normal laptop. It can take a bit to get used to typing on it. Here's a side by side of my Surface Laptop 3 and the Go 3
1676216763830.png

My first tablet was an Amazon Fire... does all the iPad can do, in similar sizes ... and I hate to
shill for Amazon, bit they have a 10" Fire tablet on sale now

(https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=fire+t...ire+tablet,aps,223&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_11)

I now have an iPad mini, which I got because it synchs with my phone and my Mac, but the Fire
was fine. Does all Pauline mentions above, and I especially like getting books on Kindle.

Small on-screen keyboard, but that's like your phone; 10" helps with typing.

Good luck!

Hi artnbarb - It seems that for your needs, one of Amazon's Fire tablets would be sufficient, as Karen suggested.

Here are some links that might help you :

Or just do a search for "best android alternative to ipad". Sorry I can't help from personal experience, I only use a phone and desktop.

OK guys, I've looked at the Amazon Fire because it's on sale. The 32 Gb is $99 and the 64 GB is $109 - but what advantage is the larger capacity one? It seems I won't be able to store/edit photos on any of these tablets, so I really don't understand why it would matter that much.

Also, it looks like I can double the price by adding keyboards, cases, screensavers plugs, etc etc...what do I really need??

Thanks again!

Only you can decide what you REALLY need! Just the tablet works fine for me
(but I don't use it for editing photos)... and the bigger capacity one is only $10 more, so
maybe just get it and see how it works for you? Then add keyboard, to whatever.
I do have a cover, to save the screen, but that's it.

There's even a cheaper option if you want ($60).
And yes, you can transfer photos from your phone to your tablet. That's one of the reasons you have various memory capacities.

I might add : if this is your first tablet and you find using these devices a bit difficult, you might want to start with something that has an interface that you are familiar with. For example, if you use a Samsung phone, then get a Samsung tablet. They will probably also communicate with each other more easily. Amazon will have different names for the various functions and apps that you are familiar with, which could be confusing at first.

if this is your first tablet and you find using these devices a bit difficult, you might want to start with something that has an interface that you are familiar with.
I agree. I use an iPhone and the iPad works almost the same. I don't have an attached keyboard. Typing onto the screen works fine. I do most of my email and forum posting from the iPad.

We'll be traveling from mid-September until mid November this year, and for a 6 week period in the very middle of that time we'll be settled in one place. I'd really like to have my laptop so that we can watch movies on a rainy day or in the evening, and so that I can have a large enough screen to edit photos.. Because we'll be moving around before and after that 6 week period, I really don't want to lug my laptop with me this year - it's too heavy, too bulky and possibly too delicate. (Last year's computer problems may have something to do with that decision).
Hi Barb,

I stopped lugging my laptop for several years now for the same reasons. I now bring my iPad instead. I use my ipad for so many things & in my opinion it is my favorite travel gadget (along side of my iphone & camera). I use it for:
  • Checking email
  • Internet Browsing (with WiFi access at my lodging)
  • Store Movies, Shows, Music, books for entertainment
  • View, edit, transfer (with a Hub & external portable hard drive) photos. You can transfer & store photos on your iPad, but it does take up space, which is why I like to use an external drive. I enjoy posting photos & videos on Social Media like Instagram (For me it's like a travel journal). *I also travel with an external battery.
  • Touch Screen ease, Bluetooth Connectivity to Earbuds/other devices (if needed), I use the on board screen keyboard but you can connect via Bluetooth to an external keyboard if you prefer.
  • Travel Needs such as checking in online, researching restaurants, getting directions, hours of operation, making direct screenshots of maps, etc.
  • Travel Apps such the Files folder is also helpful to transfer copies of my travel documents or Kindle app for viewing books to include travel guide books, itunes for listening to podcasts, or storage apps like Dropbox, icloud which I can use so it does't take up memory on my ipad, Acrobat Reader (to view Pdf files),
I'm PC and Android, not Apple, and I know what ipads are, and that they're available in different sizes. I assume the PC/Android world has something equivalent, but I need some guidance.
I'm a windows PC desktop person, but I am an Apple iPhone and iPad user, so my comments do not address any familiarity with the PC/Android equivalents.
I don't need a screen as large as my laptop, but if I'm going to buy something the screen needs to be larger than my phone - something we can prop on the coffee table and watch from the couch.

IF I buy a tablet (is that the right word?), I'll want to balance price with size and functionality. So - what else can a tablet do? I'm assuming I can check my email and surf the web - but can it also store and edit photos? Or will something with that capability drive the price up and out of my range? Because we'll be traveling for so long, I'd love the chance to do some photo editing along the way, but that's just a bonus, not a necessity.

I'm still entertaining the possibility of just doing everything on my phone - maybe we'll each have to use our own phones to watch a movie, and I'll just have to edit my photos once we're back in the states.
My sister uses her iphone for her entertainment (downloading shows, music, books, games), taking photos & editing them to post on her social media (Instagram), browsing the web, checking e-mail, etc. And she is quite happy & satisfied with it. *Personally, I like the bigger iPad screen for editing my photos/videos.
Any advice or recommendations? TIA
I can't speak for the Android/PC tablet features, but I really find my Ipad so invaluable for my needs. My Ipad Pro was a bit pricey, but I love it. I also have an ipad mini & it is just as useful. It's lighter and has a bigger screen than my iPhone. It might also make a good option too. Here's the size comparison between my iPad Mini (4th Gen) & iPad Pro 11 inch. I put my watch for another size comparison.

Good luck in your research. I'm sure you'll make a decision that best fits your needs & meets all of your criteria.

IMG_4677.jpg

I think I'm going with the Amazon Fire - the 10" one, with 64GB. I didn't order a screen protector, but I did order a case. I know it's touch screen, but since I wanted a case anyway, I went ahead and go the keyboard too. Fingers crossed.
Barb,
Should do what you want. Re: pics, you can expand the storage capacity with a microSD card, up to 1 TB, which is a lifetime worth of pics if you're shooting jpg.

The Fire and it's case (with keyboard) have arrived! Both are charged and connected. I'll have to play around to make sure I know how to do what I want to do, but I do have one weird question: The keyboard is connected to the Fire via Bluetooth. Can I also connect (via Bluetooth) a speaker, or will I need to unpair/disconnect the keyboard? My instincts tell me no, but I know so very little about Bluetooth.....TIA

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina