• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Israel ISRAEL The Terrace, Amirim, 1bed/1bath apartment with view

Pauline

Forums Admin
The Terrace
Amirim, Upper Galilee, Israel
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/19468063
Stayed there March 2019
Host: Itamar

My review for Airbnb: We had a great week in Itamar's apartment. The location is wonderful, in the trees on a hillside with a view of the Galilee. Amirim is a pretty village. We hiked in Nahal Amud (so beautiful!) and in the area behind Jish (also beautiful). There are hiking trails from the village. We explored sites on the Sea of Galilee and in the Golan. We visited Safed.

The apartment is very comfortable - large terrace with an outstanding view, comfortable bed, good shower, a fireplace (wood is left for you each day), and an outdoor hot tub. We cooked all our dinners at the apartment, but could have had dinner out at a restaurant in the village or in nearby villages. The Amirim shop has everything you need for cooking. One morning we had breakfast delivered.

Itamar gave us lots of local information, including sites, restaurants and hikes. We bought organic olive oil from his farm. All in all a perfect stay for me and my husband.

-------------------
Amirim is a vegetarian village, formed in the 1950s when Israel was a new country. No pesticides are used in the village. Everyone who lives there, around 800 people, is vegetarian. No meat can be brought into the village (but no one checks). The village is spread out along a hillside near the top of a mountain. It can be 10F cooler up there than below on the Sea of Galilee. Houses in the village are spread out. The Terrace is at the top of the village with no houses above it. You can walk downhill two blocks to the local shop which has most things you will need.

There are two restaurants in Amirim but we did not try them. One is more casual and one is new, serving dinners (Itamar said it is very good). There is also a cafe open on weekends. We went there for breakfast once. You can also have an Israeli breakfast delivered to your apartment - we did this and it was really good. There are other good restaurants in nearby villages. Several of the nearby villages are Arab villages (known for their good food). You are also close to Safed and Rosh Pina. I think there is a Druze village nearby (also known for their good food).

It was a unique experience staying in Amirim (which is saying something because Israel is so interesting). I am a long-time vegetarian so liked being in a vegetarian village. It was very peaceful there but well located for day trips to the Galilee Panhandle, the Sea of Galilee, the Golan and other parts of the Galilee. You have about 10 minutes to drive out of town but after that you are on major roads.

After we left Amirim we spent 2 nights in the Galilee Panhandle, but we should have spent longer in Amirim and visited that area from there. It was only an hour's drive north. Less to the Hula Valley.

The only downside to The Terrace is the lack of a washing machine. It is more set up for short stays, Israelis who head out to the country for a few nights. The kitchen is good but has only a portable two-burner stovetop. This is typical is Israel. Many places to rent in Amirim - Rosh Pina have mini-kitchens with a small fridge and a microwave, so I was happy to find a place with a stovetop.

The host, Itamar, makes you feel very welcome. He texts you lists of restaurants, things to do. He gave us great hiking information. We were there during a cold spell and had a fire in the evenings (their is a heating system, but we enjoyed the fire), and every day he would leave kindling and wood on the porch for us. There was something very special about this place.

amirim-5151.jpg

View from the large terrace.

amirim-5160.jpg

Kitchen.

amirim-5162.jpg

The apartment is the top level of a building but I don't think anyone lives below, so it is like being in a separate house.

amirim-5166.jpg

The road through the village is paved, except for this short last part to get to the house.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina