• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Italian Green Pass

The US Embassy in Italy website states: The Italian Ministry of Health issued an ordinance on July 29, 2021 stating that an Anti-COVID-19 vaccination certificate for an European Medicines Agency (EMA) recognized vaccine from competent U.S. health authorities (CDC “white cards”) will be considered the equivalent of the Italian Green Pass where this requirement exists.
cdc white card.jpg

Are these the cards you are receiving in the US when you get your vaccine?

Yes, not very secure, for me the last column just has abbreviations that would only be understood in our immediate area.

Bringing up what's sometimes a sore topic in travel discussions: if these are fine for all the places where one might be screened in Italy, why is it essential to get an International Driving Permit as a translation of a U.S. license, especially now with Real ID standardizing the look of the licenses and including "USA"? I'm on an outing now to get that permit, although I increasingly question the need.

why is it essential to get an International Driving Permit as a translation of a U.S. license, especially now with Real ID standardizing the look of the licenses and including "USA"? I'm on an outing now to get that permit, although I increasingly question the need.
Oh geez, thanks for reminding me. I somehow totally blanked on getting our IDPs for September. Was made a believer for needing the IDP several years ago when we were stopped in a random highway check and the first thing asked for was the IDP.

On another note, seeing a close Italian friend's posts showing up on an anti-Green Card Facebook site. We're looking forward to getting out of the US for a while to avoid the daily political discussions -- looks like those hopes might be for naught.

My daughter and I are planning travel to Switzerland a year from now - this green card thing seems so confusing at the moment - what does the Italian consulate have to say about requirements? I have been searching the SBB train website as we will need to take a train from Kandersteg to Lugano and the most direct route is through Domodossola IT - BUT the timetable says to expect delays (and I know from my experience in Italy that could be indefinite). From my read on the IT med website link on SBB, vaxx cards will be required even though only passing through back to Switzerland. Best to stay inside Switzerland via Bern to Lugano? Thoughts?

The US Embassy in Italy website states: The Italian Ministry of Health issued an ordinance on July 29, 2021 stating that an Anti-COVID-19 vaccination certificate for an European Medicines Agency (EMA) recognized vaccine from competent U.S. health authorities (CDC “white cards”) will be considered the equivalent of the Italian Green Pass where this requirement exists.View attachment 31979

Are these the cards you are receiving in the US when you get your vaccine?
Yes. That's it.

Do the Italian rules say anything about Canadian Covid Vaccine Certificates?
Ours are regional I believe, I just looked at mine and it says BC on it, but no mention of Canada on it at all.
Of course, this is just proof of vaccine, with lot numbers, and is not a Canada wide "passport".
Every day's a school day! We are always changing and learning!

Bringing up what's sometimes a sore topic in travel discussions: if these are fine for all the places where one might be screened in Italy, why is it essential to get an International Driving Permit as a translation of a U.S. license, especially now with Real ID standardizing the look of the licenses and including "USA"? I'm on an outing now to get that permit, although I increasingly question the need.

Oh geez, thanks for reminding me. I somehow totally blanked on getting our IDPs for September. Was made a believer for needing the IDP several years ago when we were stopped in a random highway check and the first thing asked for was the IDP.
Andrew, I am so with you. It is just ridiculous that the IDP is valid for only one year.

The information on there is my name (which hasn't changed), my place of birth (which of course can't change now), my date of birth (ditto), my current city and state of residence (which can change, but then my drivers license would show that), and my photo (I still look the same, well with a tad less hair each year).

So what I've done for years, and I'm not encouraging anyone to do anything illegal, is I use one of those sticky labels that you put on the tabs of manila file folders and place it below the "Valid For One Year From Date" space and write in the date just before I leave.

It's not the $20 fee, it's not the $15 photo fee, it's just the ridiculousness of having to do it each each year when NOTHING CHANGES! Geezesh!

Yesterday we had a problem getting into a local restaurant in Bagni di Lucca where the owner knows us for 18 yrs!! He kept asking for the Green Pass , I repeatedly told him we had the CDC American vaccination card but he had never seen one before . I informed him it was approved on the Italian Ministry of Health site but he refused to listen so we sat outside with unvaccinated customers. 1/2 way through eating he walked over and told me I was correct as he looked it up on his computer. This was the second time it happened . Restaurants in small towns may not be aware of our CDC cards so I now have a copy of the Ministry of Health’s statement on my phone for anyone to read in Italian.

Thank you for this excellent information. Very nervous about our October trip to Italy. I'm one of those people who must have everything in order or else I become a complete nervous Nelly, and just want to cancel everything. We have the CDC American Vaccination Cards, so hope all will be okay, but who knows, once Fall arrives.

Today our CDC cards were not accepted at IKEA in Pisa at their food court . Person checking had paper stating USA CDC card along with. Canada , Japan and few other countries on the list. Unreal!!

Be aware that the "green certificate" becomes mandatory on September 1 for the following ADDITIONAL activities in Italy:

1. Boarding any RESERVED train in Italy (Trenitalia Freccia, Intercity or Intercity notte), plus all Italo trains;

2. Boarding any INTERREGIONAL ferry, hydrofoil or bus; and

3. Boarding any commercial flight within Italy.

EXCLUDED ARE all forms of local transportation (by train, bus, subway, metro, tram, funicular or boat) and all boat crossings between Messina and Reggio di Calabria. UNRESERVED trains are also excluded.

See:

Our CDC cards at least in my small mountain area of Tuscany are an unknown entity to most small trattoria’s, osteria’s , restaurants or pizzeria’s.
All ask for Green Pass and then the discussion starts about the US CDC card. This happens even with places that have known us forever!!
I did however receive a response from IKEA CEO and an executive here in Italy apologizing for their employee error in denying our CDC cards for entry into Pisa IKEA coffee bar. According to the executive employees have been appropriately informed regarding the Italian Ministry of Health guidelines.
Italy does not feel the same for me although I feel safer here than my home state of Florida.

I am not surprised one bit about your personal experience with the U.S. CDC vaccination card in your "small mountain area of Tuscany" I am just a bit more surprised about your experience at the Pisa IKEA coffee bar.

Readers should remember that the vast majority of Italian restauranteurs and bar proprietors have never seen a CDC card before, while personnel at major Italian museums in large tourist cities, and the restaurants/bars which cater to U.S. tourists, are thoroughly familiar with the card, as they see many every day.

I too had the experience of showing my CDC card to someone in Florence who had never seen one before. She looked at it with great interest and curiosity, and remarked that it was the first such time for her. She did not hesitate accepting it, but did ask to see my photo ID.

Non E.U. residents cannot obtain an Italian "green pass", and must instead show their vaccination documentation (preferably in paper format). The only exception (so far) seems to be ITALIAN CITIZENS who reside outside of the E.U. who return to Italy for a (long-term) stay (or to acquire residency). There is a procedure for such Italian Citizens to apply for and obtain an Italian green pass in these cases. In my opinion, even Italian Citizens who reside outside of the E.U. will not waste their time seeking to obtain the Italian green pass if they return to Italy for only a short period of time (less than one or two months).

@GAC - Would you expect personnel inspecting for the Green Pass on high speed trains in tourist cities like Florence and Venice to be aware of the CDC cards? We are still debating another trip this fall and are not sure if including train travel should be part of the plan.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina