• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Italy 2016 - but when???

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
Oh I love having this dilemma! We know we want to visit Umbria next year, but are bouncing all over the place about when to go! We're taking a TA cruise to Barcelona followed by a 2 week stay in France, returning on May 13, 2016, so any time after that is fine. June is an ideal time, weather wise, but July and August can be HOT and miserable - like in 2015 - OR it could be uncharacteristically rainy and cold!

The onion Festival in Cannara is the first week in September, and we could eat there every night of the festa.....and the Black Celery festival in Trevi is in October......and we could cruise back home WITH new oil!!! the only problem is that October seems soooooo far away! What a dilemma!

Have you looked at TA cruises in Sept/Oct. or are you flying one way or both? Many TA cruises return to Ft. Lauderdale in Nov./Dec.
The fall sounds like a perfect time to me to be in Umbria.

We'd love to take a November TA cruise from Rome, allowing us to bring back some fresh olive oil! Unfortunately all the cruise lines seem to have moved their fall repositioning cruises from late Nov to late Oct - I guess the Carribbean cruise market is more lucrative! Years ago it was hard to find a frantoio around us that was open before Nov 1, but more and more seem to be opening earlier. I did find one cruise - Celebrity - that departs from Civitavecchia on Nov 5, so that just might work, assuming we could get one-way airfare at a reasonable cost - maybe thru the cruise line?

Anyway, we're still planning and dreaming!

I wouldn't go back in June. If it were me, I would still be suffering jet-lag!!

I vote for September. We spent two weeks in September in Italy this year and the weather was lovely. We were in Le Marche and Umbria.

You can have your oil shipped - easier than planning a trip around bringing it back.

I wouldn't go back in June. If it were me, I would still be suffering jet-lag!!

I vote for September. We spent two weeks in September in Italy this year and the weather was lovely. We were in Le Marche and Umbria.

You can have your oil shipped - easier than planning a trip around bringing it back.
Part of the fun would be helping our friends pick the olives!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina