• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Italy - BOOKS by Italian Authors (or set in Italy)

Pauline

Forums Admin
Post with your favorite books by Italian authors (including by expats living in Italy).

True Vines by Diana Strinati Baur. "After the sudden death of her Italian winemaker husband, Meryl Michelli flees to her small hometown in Pennsylvania, looking to slam the door on heartache and trudge forward." Set in both Italy and the US and written by a US expat living in northern Italy. A little chick-lit, a little feel-good, with nice details about life in Italy.

The Virgin and The Griffin by Sandra Cordon. "In 1504 Perugia, an ancient Umbrian city in central Italy, is a place of great art, great violence – and a great many secrets. Isabella Bevilacqua, a young weaver in her family's small workshop, understands this very well." Good historic novel with lovely details about Perugia and life at that time. Written by a Canadian expat living in Rome.

A Kitchen with a View - Seasonal recipes from Alla Madonna del Piatto, by Letizia Mattiacci. "Use good quality ingredients in simple combinations. Embrace the rhythm of the seasons. Respect the balance of flavours and textures." Excellent cookbook by an Italian native, written in English. But the book is much more than recipes, although these are well-tested and excellent. Also memoir about life on the side of an Italian mountain above Assisi, lessons about food and life from family and friends, as well as gorgeous photos throughout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pauline. I just got my copy and am loving all the photos as well as stories about her family and friends, and tips on telling good olive oil from scary industrial products!

You can order it from Letizia and I think it will soon be available on Amazon.

I ordered my copy but it got delayed in the mail and then went to my US address instead of my UK address (my fault - I confused everything by giving two addresses)! So a lucky US friend got it as a present. When we get back from Switzerland I will order it from Amazon - can't wait to see it!!

I'm looking forward to reading "Kitchen with a View"! I read cookbooks sometimes, with or w/o added attractions.

Also liked "Songbirds, Truffles and Wolves" by Gary Paul Nabhan, an American naturalist who walked the Franciscan trail to Assisi, and chronicles what he sees and who he meets along the way.

Has anyone read "The Sixteen Pleasures" by Robert Hellenga? Not set entirely in Italy, but moves back and forth between Florence and a small town in Illinois. Hellenga has written other books in the same way, not all set in Italy...this was my first of several, I like his work.

I like Hellenga too, although I'm having a little trouble getting into his latest, "The Confessions of Frances Godwin." I read "Sixteen Pleasures" years ago when it was first released, then re-read it earlier this year. I enjoyed it both times!

Chris,

You have me thinking it's time to reread (Sixteen Pleasures"... I did do the Confessions of, and it was OK, just not in Italy... and he writes so well about Italy; he clearly loves it there. And now remember ing "The Fall of a Sparrow" (?).

Am now waiting for my requests of above from the library, but they've delivered requests from the French forum
first, so it's off to France for now.

Some great books by Annie Hawes on Italy.. she is an ex pat.
Also a couple of books by Isabella Dusi about Montalcino

I'm reading the first book in a series based in Naples. The series has received rave reviews. It is quite literary. It is about female friendship, growing up in Naples. It spans about 60 years from the 1950s to the present day and mirrors the changes Naples and Italy underwent during this period. The first one is My Brilliant Friend and after a slow start, I'm mesmerized. The author, Elena Ferrante, is a pseudonymn and no one knows who s/he is. although I think the author must be female of a certain age.

Pauline,
I plan on reading the rest of the trilogy. it's amazing. It's been a long time since I've discovered a new (to me) author. The story and the writing ....fantastic.
Funny that you're reading it as well. Definitely not a travelogue.

It is a fascinating story, I think, of two girls growing up in a Naples neighborhood. At the end of the first book they are only 16. Beautifully written and a detailed portrait of families and friends in a working class neighborhood.

There is one scene where some people who have become wealthy with their businesses take a group out to a restaurant. For some of them it is their first time in a restaurant and they are nervous, don't order much (thinking they might have to pay) and don't like it. For these young people, if they go out it is for pizza in the evening. They also talk about going out for gelato. All these details of life in the 1960s which are so much the same in Italy today.

I've read so many good reviews about the Ferrante books, I've got to try them.

I like mysteries, so I'm drawn to the David Hewson Nic Costa series (Rome), Conor Fitzgerald's Alec Blume books (also Rome), and of course Donna Leon's Commissario Guido Brunetti (Venice).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina