• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

London, Wells and Bath

Lisa in Ottawa

500+ Posts
I have 3 more outings before we leave for Rome and then back home.

Going to London primarily to see the Turner exhibit at Tate Britain. We're overnighting at the Marriott on Grovesnor Square with my points. I've never stayed in a hotel using points before. I just don't accumulate enough and have a very basic cc. But before we left I got the Chase Marriott and lo and behold I have just enough for 1 night in London.

Wells, of all places. We're doing a final w/e getaway splurge at Beryl's. It looks pretty splendid. Wells was the first time I heard evensong and it was truly beautiful. I wanted a little more countryside as well.

Bath planning to take the train and go for the day and hopefully Pauline and Steve will show me around. This will be my only train trip.

I have a two hour walking tour of Bath to show the highlights, with a concentration on where Jane Austen lived. Looking forward to meeting you in Bath!

Any preference of time, date etc. I'm looking at last week Nov or 1st week Dec. Arriving 11,leaving around 4. Like to get tickets soon.

We decided to do Bath next week because the Bath Christmas Market runs from 27 Nov to 14 Dec. While the market is fun, it is very crowded and Steve and I went a couple of years ago. By going before the market, we can avoid the crowds and see a quiet version of Bath.

The plan will most likely be:
- Meet at Queens Square.
- Walk Queens Square, up Gay Street (past Jane Austen house) to the Circus to the Royal Crescent.
- Come back to the center via Catherine's Place and the Assembly Rooms (we can visit them).
- Lunch (maybe a quick lunch at the Asian chain Wagamama on George St - no lingering pub lunch, we have things to see).
- Walk to the Abbey.
- Visit the Roman Baths (this will take an hour - maybe we should do it first).
- Go into the Pump rooms to get our free glass of spring water (comes with ticket to the Baths), but don't drink it (yuck) and instead have a good look at the restaurant/tea room.
- Walk to Abbey Green, then past Sally Lunn's (famous tea room).
- Walk through Parade Grounds to Pulteney Bridge (lined with shops like Ponte Vecchio in Florence) and along Great Pulteney Street.
- Walk along the River Avon from Pulteney Bridge to the start of the Kennett and Avon canal and see the locks. At this point we are near the Train Station.

If we had lots of extra time we could walk from Great Pulteney Street into Sydney Gardens then onto the canal and walk along it to where it starts behind the train station.

Reviving this thread because I don't want this vacation to sneak up on me and feel unprepared! Bath is the easiest destination to tackle (because we're only there 2 nights!), so I'll start there.

We'll arrive in Bath by train from London, so let's say a little before noon. We'll check in to Cornersway B&B, then head out for lunch. Suggestions for where to eat?

After that we'll have the rest of that afternoon and evening, as well as the entire next day, so what should we add to Pauline's list, and where should we linger longer?

We did that plan (above) with @Lisa in Ottawa and didn't make it as far as Pulteney Street. That is a full day.

There are lots of good place to eat in Bath. We just went to an Asian chain restaurant - Wagamama on George St. - that we like.

We had a nice lunch with Wendy and Richard at the Marlborough Tavern, up behind the Royal Crescent.

Hole in the Wall is supposed to be good.

The Circus Restaurant, just off the Circus, gets great reviews and the menu looks good. We tried to go their with Lisa but they were fully booked (for lunch, mid-week, in November!!).

If you are looking for good sandwiches for a picnic, go to either the Waitrose supermarket near Pulteney Bridge or the Marks and Spencer at the end of Stall Street, below the Bath Abbey, just before the big SouthGate shopping area.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina