• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Looking for beach suggestions for August

Golfergal

We have booked Covo dei Saraceni in Positano, so we are not without an option this late in the planning. Since we are coming from Chianti and flying home from Milan, the travel to and from Positano is going to be a pain. So now I am back looking at other options that would be more convenient. We have visited a lot of Italy and some of our favorite beach/coastal places are Positano, Sorrento, Ischia, Capri, Portofino, Santa Margherita Ligure, Senigallia, Pescara, Taormina, Lake Como and Lake Garda. All of these places would meet our criteria - just looking for a new idea.

We are celebrating a big birthday so looking for more luxurious than basic. Waterfront/Beachfront and pool are musts. We want to go the beach/pool, walk around town (so nothing too remote), watch the sunset and have yummy dinners. We don't ask for much.
smiley.gif
I have looked at SML again, San Remo, Viareggio, Forte dei Marmi, Rimini... There are so many options I'm just overwhelmed. Our dates are 8/20 to 8/25 and our budget very flexible and we'll have a car in Chianti that we can keep if needed.

Any suggestions of a town or hotel would be greatly appreciated.

I think you may be right to consider changing your plans. The end of August drive down to Positano might be very long and crowded as Italians all head to the beach. And Positano will be very crowded. But, I do love Positano.

I would look at the south Ligurian coast. We once went swimming at a beach resort south of Lerici, on the road to Tellaro and it was beautiful. You could stay in Lerici, which has good restaurants, and swim there or nearby locations. I know that @Jim Zurer recommends Lerici. We spent a week once in a hilltop village nearby and liked that area.

I agree, going from Tuscany to Milan via the Amalfi Coast in August would be torture, no matter how wonderful the hotel and the location.

The Ligurian coast is beautiful, you might try the area around Rapallo where there are several resort-type hotels along the waterfront. Here are a couple to take a look at:

Excelsior Palace: http://www.excelsiorpalace.it/en/

Grand Hotel Bristol: http://www.grandhotelbristol.it/1/13/EN/Grand_Hotel_Bristol_ResortSPA.htm

This next one is in San Remo, another lovely area. I'm less excited by the precise setting of this hotel but it looks absolutely beautiful, like the old world European hotels from movies:

Hotel de Paris Sanremo: http://www.hoteldeparissanremo.it/albergo/index.php

Thank you for the great suggestions. The Excelsior Palace in Rapallo was already high on our list, so getting suggested here is a solid endorsement. Lerici was on my list of ideas but I hadn't found a hotel I liked since I was looking to have a pool in August. But I looked at Doria Park and really like it. They even have a room with a huge terrace and jacuzzi. That plus the great pricing have it high on our list. I'd love to go to Sanremo, but the trip there from Florence is about has bad as going to Positano; of course the trip to Milan is much better. We haven't ruled out Positano since it is so magical, but we still have serious concerns. I did look at options in Sorrento as that is a little easier from a travel perspective and being bigger might not be a staggeringly overcrowded as Positano.

So many options!

Sorrento is staggeringly overcrowded from cruise ship travelers. It was packed when we were there a year ago. On the Sorrento peninsula might be better.

Cruise ship people don't go into Positano. Their busses stop at a viewpoint and they look at it. Sorrento is flat and they like that.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina