• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

MY Final, Final Ultimate Travel plans...Honest

Lisa in Ottawa

500+ Posts
I wasn't sure if I should post here or in UK forum. As some of you are aware from other threads, I and OH will be ging to Oxford for 3 months(Sept to Dec). The challenge has been where to go while in the UK and how to spend our the last 10 days or so between the end of our rental and our flight home. I thought I had finally reached a decision several weeks ago but like a fading rock star…Cher perhaps, who after her final tour has come back for the ultimate final and last time…it was not the final decision. After posting that we were going to spend the last bit of our 3 1/2 month trip in Apt, I had 2nd and 3rd thoughts. I long to return to the Luberon, but December is probably not the best of times. I also revisited returning to Nice for a week. We spent 5 weeks in Nice just over a year ago. It seemed a little silly to go back so soon and for such a brief time. If I go back, I’d rather settle in and really live there. After crunching the numbers, also realised that we had about 10 days in total to spend. Not that long really for a Slow Traveller.

So…back to the drawing board. And then it hit me. Rome! It’s a big enough city so that if the weather is cool and rainy, there’s lots to do. It’s the off season so not as crowded as usual. We’ve been there before but not for a while. I remembered reviews from ST site and before I could change my mind, I had booked the apartment!http://www.liveromelikearoman.com/

I should add that while I make the travel plans, the reason we are able to do this trip is thanks to my OH. He was never that keen on returning to Nice or going to Apt in December but seems quite happy with the Rome option.

As for our mid October trip to Lucca. We’ve decided to focus on the UK. I just wanted to go everywhere because Europe is so close. But I think that would mean that we didn’t really experience being in 1 place and settling in. 3 months isn’t that long. Ron will also be travelling part of the time so won’t actually be in Oxford for the entire period. I love England and the English countryside so why would I have us hoping a plane every few weeks. Italy with the exception of Rome and perhaps Orvieto will have to wait.

The Luberon as well will have to be another time. We will be in the Loire Valley for a wedding just before Oxford so hopefully, that will satisfy my France longings. Can't be too greedy.

I’ve read Pauline’s descriptive walks and I think we’re going to take the 2nd week in September to do some Cotswold walking. I contacted Cotswolds Walks but we want to have a car and don’t want to feel confined. We've walked in the area before when we stayed in Ilmington.So I think we may stay in a central village. Pauline, Painswick looks delightful and just do some day walks. I’d really like to see some Laurie Lee countryside.

... I thought I had finally reached a decision several weeks ago but like a fading rock star…Cher perhaps, who after her final tour has come back for the ultimate final and last time…it was not the final decision.

I do this too! All the time! It isn't final until the flights are booked and the deposit is paid.

Rome in December will be nice. We were there over Christmas/New Year once, and I don't recommend going during the holiday season because the crowds were intense, but the weather was very nice and I like being in big cities when it is cold. I have read great reviews of that apartment.

Staying in England for your mid-break is a good idea. It is easy to get to Europe from here, but you still have deal with getting to the airport, the airport, etc. But traveling in England is easy.

You said second week of September but I hope you mean second week of October, because we are in Switzerland for the first 3 weeks of September and would miss you if you came to the Painswick area. I can send you a bunch of walking info for this area and if you end up here when we are away, we will visit you in Oxford.

There is a good 5 hour walk in the Slad Valley (Laurie Lee country - one valley away from us) and it can easily be divided into two 3 hour walks. Painswick valley has good walks. You could do a few parts of the Cotswold Way (you have probably already walked some).

France, England and Italy. Not bad!

I do this too! All the time! It isn't final until the flights are booked and the deposit is paid.

Rome in December will be nice. We were there over Christmas/New Year once, and I don't recommend going during the holiday season because the crowds were intense, but the weather was very nice and I like being in big cities when it is cold. I have read great reviews of that apartment.

Staying in England for your mid-break is a good idea. It is easy to get to Europe from here, but you still have deal with getting to the airport, the airport, etc. But traveling in England is easy.

You said second week of September but I hope you mean second week of October, because we are in Switzerland for the first 3 weeks of September and would miss you if you came to the Painswick area. I can send you a bunch of walking info for this area and if you end up here when we are away, we will visit you in Oxford.

There is a good 5 hour walk in the Slad Valley (Laurie Lee country - one valley away from us) and it can easily be divided into two 3 hour walks. Painswick valley has good walks. You could do a few parts of the Cotswold Way (you have probably already walked some).

France, England and Italy. Not bad!
Pauline,
We are planning to tour the Cotswolds for a few days in September after we get settled in Oxford. We wanted to go somewhere in October as well, hence, my frenetic planning around Europe. Now, we will be in the UK but don't know if we will tour another region.
I would love to meet up with you and Steve wherever that may be. It seems Painswick is only 1 hour from Oxford.
As for Painswick. Do you think it is a good village to base for a few days? There seem to be 1 or 2 places to stay. Winchcombe describes itself as "the walking capital." It is also a possibility. Any thoughts? I would welcome any info you might have on local walks. I don't believe we have been to that part of The Cotswolds.
I've been a little distracted with business on the home front. Nothing connected to this trip. But it makes it harder to plan. I'm glad we have the December place settled.
Yes, I agree. it's not a totally done deal until accommodations are booked and even then... No! I'm committed to Rome and Sari was lovely and easy. As you know I also like her memoir.

Lisa, you will love Sari's apartment -- and Sari, who lives a block away. We've spent about 6 weeks there off and on since 2005 and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else in Rome.

Painswick is a great village, but it is small. A small village shop, a nice tea room, a few places to eat. Groceries in Stroud (10 min drive) at Tesco, Sainsburys or Waitrose. Stroud Farmers Market on Saturday is the best in the area. For a few days, you will be looking at B&Bs or hotel and there are many because this is a main stop on the Cotswold Way walk.

Winchcombe is larger - more of a market town. A larger town shop, good deli, a tea room that I won't go to because they threw us out once when we went in dripping wet after a hike (Juris), an Indian restaurant, a few other restaurants. Also lots of accommodation I think because it too is a main stop on the Cotswold Way walk.

Painswick is south Cotswolds, south of Cheltenham. Winchcombe is north Cotswolds, close to Broadway. The Cotswold Way trail is very beautiful either way from Winchcombe, as it is both ways from Painswick. Either place will have good walking.

Oxford is an hour's drive for us and we have been there only a few times. Let's plan on meeting up in early October. We are back from Switzerland/France at the end of September.

Painswick is a great village, but it is small. A small village shop, a nice tea room, a few places to eat. Groceries in Stroud (10 min drive) at Tesco, Sainsburys or Waitrose. Stroud Farmers Market on Saturday is the best in the area. For a few days, you will be looking at B&Bs or hotel and there are many because this is a main stop on the Cotswold Way walk.

Winchcombe is larger - more of a market town. A larger town shop, good deli, a tea room that I won't go to because they threw us out once when we went in dripping wet after a hike (Juris), an Indian restaurant, a few other restaurants. Also lots of accommodation I think because it too is a main stop on the Cotswold Way walk.

Painswick is south Cotswolds, south of Cheltenham. Winchcombe is north Cotswolds, close to Broadway. The Cotswold Way trail is very beautiful either way from Winchcombe, as it is both ways from Painswick. Either place will have good walking.

Oxford is an hour's drive for us and we have been there only a few times. Let's plan on meeting up in early October. We are back from Switzerland/France at the end of September.
Thanks, Pauline,
I don't know why I didn't get notification of your posting as it's a watched thread. So many lovely villages. I'm surprised you were thrown out of a tea room in "The Walkers Capital" self described. Lots to choose from including pubs with accommodation. Everything seems quite near. I know when we stayed at Felicity's cottage in Llmington for less than a week, we managed some great walks and wonderful pub meals.

I'm surprised you were thrown out of a tea room in "The Walkers Capital" self described.
We were dripping wet. But, still, they could have hustled us out a little more politely. The embarrassing thing was that Shannon was visiting and with us on this walk and I assured her that you don't get thrown out of tea rooms for being wet. And then we did.

Most tea rooms are ready for wet and muddy walkers. Some ask you to remove your boots (they will have a sign). Some provide plastic bags to put over your boots. Most are very welcoming, pubs too.

Hi Pauline & Lisa

DH, Clive & I will be staying in Lower Oddington from Sept 28-Oct 2. We would be delighted to get together at some point during those few days. Perhaps a proper tea or a pub dinner? Doesn't matter where, we'll find it.

cheers, Lindy

Lisa, I think you will really like Rome in December - even if it is raining, it will likely still be much warmer and more pleasant than dear old Ottawa in December! I also know Sari's apartment and I think you will like the location, it is not too difficult to get across the Tiber to do things or to walk up to the Vatican if you choose. I hope you will have time for a little GTG here!
Cheers,
Sandra

Hi Pauline & Lisa

DH, Clive & I will be staying in Lower Oddington from Sept 28-Oct 2. We would be delighted to get together at some point during those few days. Perhaps a proper tea or a pub dinner? Doesn't matter where, we'll find it.

cheers, Lindy
OH I wish we could be there! We'd love to see Pauline and Steve, as well as Clive and Linday again!

Art & Barb
Hello you two - we too wish you could be in the Cotswolds. It would be lovely to see you again. Fond memories of pasta and a few bottles of wine as I recall.

We've been travelling back to Italy vicariously thru your plans for next year!

Buon viaggio!
Lindy & Clive

Art & Barb,

Ooooops looks like your trips & corresponding years back-to-front. Nonetheless, it would have been good to see you both again.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina