• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Naples - Spaccanapoli District

JimL

10+ Posts
We want to visit the best of the Spaccanapoli District. Our plan is to visit the Naples National Archaeological Museum then walk to see the Duomo then end up visiting the Museo Cappella Sansevero before taking a ferry to Sorrento.

I am having a hard time determining the boundaries of the Spaccanapoli District. What are the best streets for us to walk down to see the Spaccanapoli District considering the route I described above? Thanks

Google "Naples National Archaeological Museum ", maybe better in Italian. Then choose "maps", and then expand the map to see the street names. We ate great in a little neighborhood place somewhere. The museum is great especially the Pompei panels.

Spaccanapoli isn't actually a district of Naples, it's a made up designation for travel guides. It actually refers only to the road that "splits" Naples, known by different names at different points today.

Thanks for the Naples transport map, Jim.
We are there in September.
Last visit was 2013, so I don't recall any of the transport we took.
We will likely get the Metro from Napoli Centrale to Toledo , as it looks like there is a line with a couple of stops in between.
Toledo station wasn't finished last visit.
The long, many-named street known as Spaccanapoli is fascinating.

I love those maps that Unicocampania made, I still have my old paper copies, just note that they no longer update them so several of the bus and trams lines have changed or are no longer in service. It was updated to reflect the newest metro station, Municipio, that opened a few years ago. There will be another new station later this year (God willing) called Duomo, at Piazza Nicola Amore.

(As an example, note that there are no longer any bus routes along Via Duomo and that all of the routes listed on the map for Via Duomo no longer exist. There are also no functioning tram lines at the moment.)

This map (from the web site of ANM, the transport company in Naples) shows you the metro and local train lines through Naples as well as the funicolari: http://www.anm.it/images/stories/PDF/mappa_metro/mappa_marzo_2019-compresso.pdf

It shows the upcoming Duomo station as well as the future line 6 metro. I know they are working on line 6 at Municipio but I've seen this gambit before, years ago this same map, produced by the same agency, used to show the proposed/under construction continuation of line 1 between Piscinola, the airport, and Garibaldi to form a complete loop. After years of printing it on the map they finally acknowledged that it wasn't happening (it was never actually funded) and took it off. I can still dream, however, maybe one day ...

Thanks, Ellen, that's a great map.
I'll print it for our trip.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina