• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

TV Series New series of Van der Valk coming to ITV in the UK

PatrickLondon

100+ Posts
This may be a bit premature, but ITV is trailing a new series of Van der Valk, due to start at the end of the month. Originally based on Nicolas Freeling's Ansterdam-set novels, there were two separate runs before in the 70s and 80s (re-run on one of the archive channels not so long ago). The new one stars Marc Warren, who usually plays rather nervy and often villainous characters, so that should be interesting. I hope they do justice (as the previous adapters didn't) to Van der Valk's wife, who's much more striking in the books.

We have had two episodes of Van der Valk here in Australia and one more to go. It was OK. I enjoyed the first one more than the second which I found a bit complicated with lots of characters to sort out. He does not have a wife in this series. My memory of Marc Warren is from Hustle. He still had a bit of the ' smart alec ' about him at times, but that may be just what I expected. The third episode aired on Sat night but we have not watched it yet.
My husband, who does not watch much TV , enjoyed the first one as well, but not so much the second. Some of the lines were not clearly spoken. Thank goodness for pause and rewind. As Australian, we often find broad regional English and Scottish accents difficult to grasp eg Kenny in Vera and some of the characters in Shetland, both of which we enjoy. We have to rewind and play it again.

I find I tend to use subtitles more often than not; or sometimes I use a (not expensive) adapter that plugs into the headphone socket so that I can use my Bluetooth headphones - they give a much better separation of foreground and background sound that clarifies what, through the room speakers, sounds mumbled or muffled

Ahh...Vice. What a series. We rewatched a few seasons not long ago and it was as tough as we remembered. Ken Stott was terrific and the supporting cast was amazing--Caroline Catz, Anna Chancellor, Tim Piggott-Smith, David Harewood, Sarah Parrish.

Yes....Marc Warren played the hapless new cop Dougie. What a screwup he was.

The Vice is streaming on Amazon Prime...at least the first four seasons. I lost interest in Season 5 after Pat Chappell was shunted aside.

Loved that show....

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina