• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

non-alcoholic beverages

chachalaca

100+ Posts
What do teens and non-drinkers order in Italy? I haven't traveled in Italy and don't know what to suggest to our nephew to order. In France there are the pressées and sirops. I know coke, etc. is available, but let's pretend it's not…what would you suggest?

He's excited to taste wine and see how food & wine go together, but he'll probably not be ordering glasses of wine (or beer).

Thank you!

We always get bottled water with dinner, so at least he can have that. I don't think it is common for Italians to have sugary drinks with meals, although I have seen people order Coke with a meal. He might want to try some of the Italian sodas during the day - there is usually quite a selection at any bar/caffe.

One that I remember is a lemon soda, a not-very-sweet lightly carbonated lemonade. And juice made with blood oranges is delicious. Have a great trip -- lucky nephew!

There are flavored San Pelligrino soda I think. I did try a very nice lemon soda on our last trip and it was not too sweet. It was in a can.

We are in Italy in a few days. I will take some photos of interesting drinks.

upload_2015-4-16_15-1-11.jpeg
upload_2015-4-16_15-1-34.jpeg

Two options widely available: both would appeal if you like that Italian take on bitter drinks with a sweet aftertaste (or is it the other way round?!).

So, of course the first you follow the Italian Food Rule -- Water, Wine and Nothing else. See http://tuscantraveler.com/2012/florence/food-rule-italian-wine-water-beer/ But as that post says Italian children (and adults) for centuries have been watering down wine, especially with fizzy water, for a light refreshing drink. There are some fabulous Italian "sodas" but they are hard to find in restaurants. Look for Gazzosa (the lemon flavor is yummy) in the grocery store. There is no drinking age in Italy and it is the perfect place to talk to teenagers about drinking in moderation and paring wine with food.

I am not a fan of sugary drinks but I have this one in Italy. I think it is the one Ann was referring to. Note the name in English. I get it in the grocery store.

image.jpg

Thank you, all! AnnR, I'm with you on the wine/water/nothing deal, but ocassionally even I am just thirsty for "something" other than water or wine! Our nephew wants to try anything and everything Italian. He's looking for an alternative to Coke, which I appreciate!!

There is a nice selection of fruit juices (peach nectar, pear nectar, apricot, blueberry) or an orange soda that is not too sweet from San Pellegrino (called aranciata). Teens often drink wine with a bit of water in it, and sparkling water with dinner. Most people don't drink sugary things with a meal, though we have seen an increase in Coke and Fanta on restaurant tables around here, they're getting addicted to the crap too! :eek:

That doesn't look like one of Café Parisi's tables! Crodino is the preferred aperitivo of our Ostuni friend A,.

We like Crodino, though the white version of Bitter is nice too ("bitter bianco"). And most bars give you a little snack with it, too (taralli, olives, peanuts or something). :)

We are home from Italy and ate in restaurants several times. We were always asked what type of water we wanted - natural or fizzy. You can ask for free tap water but we enjoyed the bottled water. We were always asked if we wanted wine. We were never asked if we wanted anything else to drink, even when we declined wine.

I did not often see people drinking pop with a meal but @Valerie says it is more common now. I think an interesting option is what was suggested above - watered down wine. And try out the non-alcoholic drinks like Crodino in a caffe/bar.

I took some photos of bar menus and will post them.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina