• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Nouvelle-Aquitaine North East Dordogne Trip Report

KaiteR

So this is my first trip report, so I hope I get this right.

Last year summer, after the covid lockdown fun (!) our family based ourselves at this gite holiday rental https://gitedordogne.co.uk/ and spread our wings from there to travel around the area. The accommodation was at the top end, which our kids appreciated as much as we did - lots of land and large rooms indoors.

I'll upload some more photos when I've found them on my phone later.

This is one from their website

gite-in-dordogne-gites-with.jpg

You can see there is room enough for a few people. It offered a good base to travel out from here, to Brantome, to Sarlat etc. We hadn't managed to get away on holiday for quite a while so we had saved up to do this trip properly with a nice holiday home and fascinating trips out for the children, to see the region.

Its not really a wine growing / making area, although there are a few vineyards a little further south. It is more of a rural agricultural area, with quite a few towns of interest

Last edited by a moderator:
The nearest town is the quaint medieval town of St Yrieix La Perche, pronounced "Ir-ee-ayy".

St Yrieix has a couple of nice restaurants but when we were there they were chopping changing with the corona changes, being as open as they could. The Vice Versa restaurant serves good food, excellently done (by which I mean it is not the top end and not swanky or pretentious).
food-st-yrieix.jpg

The curly chips here were a big hit.

From our base we were able to spend half the time as a relaxed holiday and the other half travelling out to interesting places. At the holiday home there is enough land that the kids could (almost) be left to their own devices, climbing trees and making dens in the forest, or with us, lounging around the pool and terrace. We had a few friends passing on their way home which was nice, as the terrace is large enough, with a brick barbecue just next to it.

From talking with friends, this area of the Dordogne is the path less trodden, with most people heading further south west around Bergerac. We did take a day out to Bergerac which is well worth the visit. Stunning old houses.

Closer to base, we took a tour of Limoges which is nicer than I had anticipated. The drive from the airport takes you paste the uglier, industrial or more boring parts, so I had not anticipated the more central areas to be quite pretty.

There is a converted nunnery convent which is a restaurant which has spectacular steaks! The Limoges old town has a good blend of useful amenities and shops, together with a bit of old culture.

Looks a lovely gite. In 2006 we stayed for a week in a gite in Tourtoirac, about 35 kms south of St Yrieux. We chanced on the market there one day and bought the ripest cheese imaginable. I can still remember how rich and pungent it was. We did day trips up to Brantome, St Jean de Cole, Bourdeilles. It is a nice area and often overlooked for other parts of the Dordogne such as the Sarlat region.

We have often considered a return to that area. I am very envious. Coming from Australia, I am afraid that will not be happening for a long time. By the time we can travel again I fear we will be too old.

Looks a lovely gite. In 2006 we stayed for a week in a gite in Tourtoirac, about 35 kms south of St Yrieux. We chanced on the market there one day and bought the ripest cheese imaginable. I can still remember how rich and pungent it was. We did day trips up to Brantome, St Jean de Cole, Bourdeilles. It is a nice area and often overlooked for other parts of the Dordogne such as the Sarlat region.

We have often considered a return to that area. I am very envious. Coming from Australia, I am afraid that will not be happening for a long time. By the time we can travel again I fear we will be too old.
Yes the markets are great. I particularly love the summer farmers markets where you can buy direct from the farmer's market stall then go to the village barbecue to have it cooked to how you want it. It was a little restricted to how it normally is because of distancing but still lovely

Did you drive to the Dordogne from London?
Yes we drove down. With covid situation we didnt know how safe flying was at the time plus the 4 of us with stuff, and it also gave us the freedom to travel to see places. We had to do a fair bit of paperwork for all the french permission / notifications to get into the country and to then be ok to move about at the time.

Last year, after the covid lockdown fun (!)
This year? When did you go?

We drove from the UK into France at the end of August and had only one form to fill in (just to say we were not ill) and they didn’t ask for it at the tunnel. Maybe you traveled earlier and there were more requirements?

Did you drive to the Dordogne from London?
Yes we drove down. With covid situation we didnt know how safe flying was at the time plus the 4 of us with stuff, and it also gave us the freedom to travel to see places. We had to do a fair bit of paperwork for all the french permission / notifications to get into the country and to then be ok to move about at the time.
This year? When did you go?

We drove from the UK into France at the end of August and had only one form to fill in (just to say we were not ill) and they didn’t ask for it at the tunnel. Maybe you traveled earlier and there were more requirements?
Yes, this year - my goodness its been a long year hasnt it? I meant last summer just gone. So much has happened since then.

Likewise, we didnt get checked by the French at the Eurotunnel. There was physically nobody in the French passport control cabin. So we cautiously carried on through, expecting to be called back by the Gendarmes, but we never were. It was a nervous journey, but worth it.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina