• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

One Special Dinner in Paris

ElizaN

10+ Posts
Now that our trip to France is only a month away, I'm thinking about making a restaurant reservation for a special meal. We will be staying for a week in an apartment near the Enfant Rouges Market in the Marais, and will have most dinners at home.

Restaurant plans are somewhat complicated because my husband is a vegetarian, thankfully a tolerant one in that he doesn't mind accompanying me as long as there are a few menu choices he can piece together for a a meal. And I would like a meaty entre like steak fries or veal stew. We don't want anything really fancy or trendy, and tend to like small unpretentious places. I just read an article about Bistro Paul Bert in the 11th, and it sounds lovely, if a bit besieged.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I don't mean to make a huge deal out of this one meal, as we will be having lunches out every day, but would like to create a special evening memory.

Thanks for any ideas!

In September, my son, his wife and my husband went to Macéo, an upscale restaurant behind the Palais Royal. I ordered from their vegetarian menu and everyone else had meat. The food was delicious, my vegetarian, and everyone else, especially son and DIL, raved about their meat dishes as being among the best (they're serious foodies). It feels special, service was incredibly courteous (we came in from a torrential downpour). Reserve.

Last edited:
Oh...since you're in the Marais, reserve (very popular place) a table at Breizh Café for Brittany crêpes, cider and more. Definitely worth going. Tight quarters, but jovial and casual. Stop in the adjacent shop and buy buerre de Bordier and other great products from Brittany. We stocked our apartment many times.

In the Enfant Rouges market, the Moroccan food stand has great veggie options and reasonable prices.

Thanks so much, Paulette and Cameron. Balzar and Maceo both sound perfect. I think we will be having more than one very special meal in Paris! And I'm so excited that there is a branch of Poilane in the Marais! We're planning on going to Briez Cafe the night we arrive, as it is very close to the apartment, and will be sure to check out the adjacent shop. I really appreciate the tips!

I'm just lurking here, :cool: so have nothing to add but I'm very excited to note all of these restaurant recommendations. :)I will be exploring the Marais on my May trip to Paris, as I was very attracted to it last year, but still being a bit intimidated overwhelmed by Paris, I'm staying the 6th, again... The Enfant Rouges Market sounds wonderful; just what I've been looking for in Paris.

Pauline, who is vegetarian, and we (Jodo, hubby poo and I), fundamentalist carnivores, had a lovely meal at Café des Musées, a charming bistro with very good food within walking distance from where you will be.I recommend lunch when the staff is less harried. Dinner is often a very hectic atmosphere.

Yes, that was a lovely lunch at Café des Musées.

Doru found a very good restaurant in the Marais, where we had a good lunch: Le Temps des Cerises at the corner of Rue du Petit Musc and Rue de la Cerisaie

I forgot the most important info in my post: Café des Musées (really a restaurant and not a café) always has a veg main dish.

Wonderful! Several more places to add to my list. News of a veggie main dish is very welcome. Thanks Pauline and Perigi.

Le Mesturet is another rare Paris restaurant that always has a veg main dish. "Honest" traditional cusine. Not expensive. In the old Opéra area.The Moroccan deli restaurant inside the excellent market Marché St Quentin serves a very good cousous, including a veg couscous. About 10 euro for a huge serving. Best time to go, between noon and 1pm. Not sure if it is open in the evening.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina