• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

One Week in Cornwall

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
cch_new_area_map.jpg

We'll be in Cornwall for the last week in June, 2018, and are starting to search for a cottage rental. The first site I went to, one of Pauline's recommended agencies, is Holiday Cottages, and this is the map they use to define the rental areas! Help! I have no idea where to stay - north Cornwall, south Cornwall, east, west????? Any recommendations? Other than the gorgeous coastline and the Eden Project, I know nothing about Cornwall - yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is all gorgeous - where ever you choose, you'll love it... One thing you do need to bear in mind is travelling times as you can't really see all of Cornwall from a central point. Pick and area with accommodation you like and concentrate on thimgs around there. Don't try and do it all.

Only a tough decision because there aren't really any wrong answers :)

Our summer holidays in childhood always used to be on the pastel green section, around about the middle of the coastal section. This has the bright lights of Newquay with it's different beaches including a surfing beach, but can get a little boisterous. However there are some lovely beaches that are probably still not badly spoiled by tourism. St Agnes was the regular beach, nothing special in the beach but a lovely moderately steep road down that made it quite picturesque. Frozen mars bars were the big treat, but for us kids the parrot called Solly who people had trained to swear was an obviously puerile joy :oops:. Portreath had a lovely feel to it, and Porthowan was a nice wide open beach with natural salt water dipping pool from when the tide went out. Chapelporth had the appeal of nothing being there, so you got a feel for how the area was before tourists appeared. The coastal walking is excellent, but sampling the beaches is also recommended.

Looe in the darker orange section is a quaint fishing town, nice feel to it.

Truro in the pastel purple section is the county town, but I recall it being nothing of any real substance - an administrative centre rather than a destination.

Lizard point (lime green) and Lands End (darker blue) have geographical appeal as most southerly point and one (with John O'Groats) of the two furthest extremities of the mainland. Whilst you might not see the same excitement in such geographical positioning, the landscape is nicely rugged here, but not somewhere I'd jump at to base myself.

Padstow (Pastel green / bright blue border) is jokingly referred to as Ric Stein-ville after the TV chef who owns a few restaurants there. He's made it more popular, but also made this an option as a place to eat out well. Just north of there is Tintagel castle, a significant landmark.

A lot will depend on what you're looking for, but I'd be tempted to base on the coast (NW or SE) as this is a very fine coast, so finding a place with a good view of a scenic coastline should be good for the soul.

I hope this helps and apologies that my experience is now a little dated, things may have changed a lot since I last visited in the early 1990s!

We're leading a new tour in Cornwall next year and were there last fall to scout out different areas. We really like the Penwith peninsula, the farthest west tip and that's where we'll be based with our group. (We had also stayed in that area for a week on our long trip back in 2004.) We'll be doing a two-week walk from St. Ives to Falmouth in the fall.

The driving can be quite slow in many areas because of the very narrow roads.

There are some beautiful gardens in Cornwall. The Eden Project is very unique... I think it's worth a day (or much of a day).

People's opinions can be very divided on the Eden Project - a lot may depend on how much you like plants, ecology and and gardening. It really is unique. I could easily devote several hours to it. It's surprising how long taking pictures can take.
Others will have 'done it' in 30 minutes...

Thank you all!
  • I think I would like to visit The Eden Project, and from the looks of their website, it could easily fill an entire day.
  • As for location, wow, what a challenge! @Kathy , I had thought that basing as far southwest as Penznace was too limiting, but now you've completely changed my mind! If we did base in that area it would be over an hour's drive to The Eden Project, so chances are I wouldn't bother - but there are plenty of other gardens to enjoy. And the allure of St Michael's Mont might be too strong!
  • I don't need to be right ON the coast, but obviously the coastline is a big attraction. I'll be studying this area over the coming months and trying to get a feel for the sites and the distances.

St Michaels Mount is wonderful. Daughter and I went many years ago and managed to scamper back across the causeway just before the sea covered it over. Otherwise we would have had to wait for the sea to be deep enough to be brought back by boat....

This has the bright lights of Newquay with it's different beaches including a surfing beach, but can get a little boisterous.

We spent a week outside of Newquay and it really is different from the other places we have been. Very busy and cheap touristy (arcades, lots of cheap shops).

Lizard point (lime green) and Lands End (darker blue) have geographical appeal as most southerly point and one (with John O'Groats) of the two furthest extremities of the mainland. Whilst you might not see the same excitement in such geographical positioning, the landscape is nicely rugged here, but not somewhere I'd jump at to base myself.

We recently spent a week on the Lizard and I love that area. It was in July, during a heatwave, and we swam at several of the beaches, walked on the coast path, explored the cute seaside villages.

On our next trip we are staying in Marazion (recommended by @Kathy ). Mousehole is also a good town in that area (Kathy has stayed there).

The busier town is St Ives at the start of the Penrwth Peninsula. For a first visit it would be a fun place to stay and there are lots of holiday rentals there. Many shops and restaurants, art galleries, good beaches.

Or stay in Carbis Bay just south of St Ives. It is more suburban-like (we spent a week there) but you can walk into St Ives in 45mins or take a train.

In Cornwall, IMO, you do want to be on the coast. Inland is not as interesting and the coast town are more set up for tourism. That is where you will find the holiday rentals. Visitors go to Cornwall to be beside the sea. I think you are going in June - before the busy school holiday period (mid July - end of August). I would look at St Ives or Mousehole. You wouldn't go wrong with either of them. You could stop at the Eden Project on your way in or out, or do a day trip. I haven't been there - I always want to spend my time walking along the coast.

I'm leaning towards St Ives too, but won't be able to research for the next several weeks - probably 4, but I WILL revive this thread when I've got a few cottages/locations to suggest! For now, I'm not sure how I could beat THIS view! I would live in a tent to have this view!

Last edited:
Hi Pauline
I think I was a little guilty of English understatement :oops: - yes Newquay is all of that, plus in high season it has a reputation for a little too much drunkenness.
regards
Ian

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina