• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Operation Thermostat

braindoc

100+ Posts
Has anyone experienced the new ban on setting the air conditioning below 25°C/77°F? Are the hotels and public buildings following the new rule?

Just another issue all of Europe is facing as a result of Russia's aggression - energy supplies. This new regulation went into effect 1 May and is set to last until next April - depending of Russia's actions if it is extended into winter's heating. The limit is 27 C with a 2 degree variance allowed.

It applies to all public building (including schools) except medical facilities. Private companies and individuals are "encouraged" to comply at this time.

I suppose that the test of this ordinance will be not now, when temperatures are pleasant, but in the summer months. Then we'll see what type of enforcement will be applied, if at all.
If it was up to me, I would not try to enforce a regulation like this, but adopt a nation-wide campaign that would put a sign/sticker outside businesses or public buildings (but also private residences) that choose to comply voluntarily with the request. Something like : "This place saves energy in order to stand with Ukraine". This might lead to a better and more unifying response. Sure, anything can be cheated - but the amount of cooperation might be surprisingly high, and perhaps enough for the planned goals.

I suppose that the test of this ordinance will be not now, when temperatures are pleasant, but in the summer months. Then we'll see what type of enforcement will be applied, if at all.
If it was up to me, I would not try to enforce a regulation like this, but adopt a nation-wide campaign that would put a sign/sticker outside businesses or public buildings (but also private residences) that choose to comply voluntarily with the request. Something like : "This place saves energy in order to stand with Ukraine". This might lead to a better and more unifying response. Sure, anything can be cheated - but the amount of cooperation might be surprisingly high, and perhaps enough for the planned goals.
I really like your thinking. I have good faith in general, that when it's clear why it would be a good thing, then people will try to do the right thing.

However when widescale enforcement is threatened, and especially when the chances of actual enforcement are slim, people will merely ignore the rule. I suspect Italians would be every bit as likely to ignore as us!

That said, I remember many times where the supposed air con and also supposed heating, simply wasn't working, or if it was, it was rather ineffective. Better perhaps to stay in a real house/apartment in a palazzo, designed to mitigate heat in summer, and also adapt to the natural cycle and rest inside where it's cooler at lunchtime.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina