• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

South East Oxford and Beyond

aargh I don't know what happened with the photos. I wrote captions for all but only the last one appears. When I tried to make corrections, I ended up deleting several as well as descriptions. I think I have to reread the how to sections.
Last 2 were taken at bleinham Palace.

@Lisa in Ottawa photos are tricky. Type your caption. Hit ENTER twice so your cursor is below the caption with a blank line between the caption and your cursor. Click Upload a File. Once you have selected and it has uploaded, you see the option for "Full Image". Click that. You are returned to the thread and you see the full photo.

For the next one, get your cursor after the photo and hit return twice. Repeat from above.

If everything screws up, click the little wrench in the upper right (Use BB Code Editor) to see a sort of HTML view of your post. There you see the BB Code that displays the image and you can move it around.

I fixed your photos in that post and put the word caption there for you so you can easily type your caption there.

Great photos!! What good weather you are having - today was like August!!

@Lisa in Ottawa photos are tricky. Type your caption. Hit ENTER twice so your cursor is below the caption with a blank line between the caption and your cursor. Click Upload a File. Once you have selected and it has uploaded, you see the option for "Full Image". Click that. You are returned to the thread and you see the full photo.

For the next one, get your cursor after the photo and hit return twice. Repeat from above.

If everything screws up, click the little wrench in the upper right (Use BB Code Editor) to see a sort of HTML view of your post. There you see the BB Code that displays the image and you can move it around.

I fixed your photos in that post and put the word caption there for you so you can easily type your caption there.

Great photos!! What good weather you are having - today was like August!!
Thanks, Pauline. I'll know better for next time. I couldn't get back in to write my captions. The photos were of the lake at Bleinham Palace. The editing function disappeared. Couldn't correct my spelling mistakes either.
Yes, the weather has been terrific!

I have editing set for 30 mins after posting. Otherwise people could go back into very old posts and change them. I will add your captions.

Today after my usual Wed cycle ride to Wolverote to attend a yoga class, I attended a lecture at St Margaret's Institute just around the corner from our apartment. It is part of a monthly series titled Tea and Talks. Todays was "Champagne in Britain 1860-1901. I didn't know what to expect but it was a rather large group with a very dynamic speaker. Afterwards we had champagne instead of tea. I chatted with several people and got some good ideas for day trips. All in all quite enjoyable.

Both are a good way to meet people and learn more about the area. I learn a lot from the women in my monthly book club and weekly stitching group. We also meet people when we are out on the trails. I like talking with other walkers.

Keep notes for me on what you learn about Oxford and Oxfordshire!

Lovely Worcester College with gardens and a lake.

Worcester College Garden.jpg

Lake at Worcester College.jpg

We had a lovely day out with Pauline and Steve. Ron and I got to play travel guide We walked across Port Meadows and followed the Thames towpath downtown. We continued on to Radcliffe Square had a look inside the Divinity School at the Bodlean Library. We walked around what is basically the heart of the university Old Schools Quad. The afternoon sun bathed the old buildings in a golden glow.

We then meandered back through Jericho a lovely neighborhood between the downtown and North Oxford and stopped for tea and cakes. This is a part of Oxford that day tourists rarely see.

Unbelievably while a little cool, the sun shone. I think I've had maybe 2 rainy days my entire time here.
I only have 1 monthe left. Wah!!!

We just got home from our day out. Thick traffic at 4pm coming out of Oxford and at 5:00pm going around Cheltenham, so instead of the 1hr 15mins going in this morning it was 1hr 45mins. But well worth it - we had a wonderful day out.

Lisa's apartment is lovely and well located. Away from the busy part of Oxford but close enough to walk in. Close to the river and the canal! And we had perfect weather.

We have 1 month left in Oxford and then we leave for 1 week in Rome before we fly home on Dec 21. Needless to say I've adored the time in Oxford as well as the many jaunts we've taken. The thing about being here rather than in any other European country is that the whole country is accessible. This is of course, because of a shared language. It helps one feel part of things very quickly.

When you don't share language or culture, you're always a visitor or a tourist. Or as many do, you establish your own little enclave of expats. I like knowing I can read a newspaper, turn on the radio or TV, attend a cultural event and immediately understand everything.

Of course, I love all the different places I've been but if I had to choose for the long haul, I think it might be here.

At the same time, I have to remember when I travel I usually love the last place I've been best:)

We have 1 month left in Oxford and then we leave for 1 week in Rome before we fly home on Dec 21. Needless to say I've adored the time in Oxford as well as the many jaunts we've taken. The thing about being here rather than in any other European country is that the whole country is accessible. This is of course, because of a shared language. It helps one feel part of things very quickly.

When you don't share language or culture, you're always a visitor or a tourist. Or as many do, you establish your own little enclave of expats. I like knowing I can read a newspaper, turn on the radio or TV, attend a cultural event and immediately understand everything.

Of course, I love all the different places I've been but if I had to choose for the long haul, I think it might be here.

At the same time, I have to remember when I travel I usually love the last place I've been best:)
Just back from London. Went to the Turner exhibit. It was incredible. That man was ahead of his time. Stayed right downtown on my Marriott points. It was fun. A great hotel! I've never stayed on points and probably won't again as they are all gone. Waundered around Marleybone. Another trendy upscale area and then took the bus back "home" to Oxford. Easy peasy. I may go into London 1 more time before I leave. Not sure. Ron is away in Africal the last week. It's only about $20 same day return and i have some $ left on my Oyster card. We'll see.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina