• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Packing tips

Cameron

500+ Posts
Do you have tips to share?

On a recent thread on FaceBook, a few of us exchanged info and humor on this topic. There was a thread on the old forum, but now let's revisit.

I travel with a wheeled carry-on for the overhead, plus an under-seat bag, so I am probably the most Type A about getting everything pared down to the most versatile basics. The other thing, when renting a vacation apartment, I always get one with a washing machine. That said, most of my pieces (except some jackets) can be hand-washed if I'm in a hotel. I pack enough clothes to get me through at least four days, but can mix it up enough to create different looks for weeks.

I begin with an Excel spreadsheet to make a packing list to build a mix-and-match travel wardrobe. I'll use an example that also works for men. I create a column for each topic:

1. Main item (pants, jeans, skirts, shorts, etc.)
  2. Tops (shirts, blouses, tees, tunics)
  3. Shoes (sandals, boots, flats, sneakers, etc,)
  4. Layers (jackets, blazers, cardigans, etc.)
  5. Accessories (scarves, belts, etc.)
So, if I have four pairs of pants and five tops to mix-and-match, then I have a possible combination of 4x5=20 outfits.

If I have three layers that work with all four pants with any top, then I now have 3x20 = 60 combinations.

I'll throw in a dress as an extra and I usually have 2-3 pairs of shoes, depending upon what I'll be doing. BTW, I don't buy shoes that have to be broken-in. If they aren't perfect when I try them on, I don't buy them, but I do wear my shoes for miles of walking before I travel.

A few days before my trip, I'll double-check the weather forecast and adjust by either switching sleeve length, reducing or increasing outer layers, changing shoe types, etc. I'll count out 7 days for my lingerie, add PJs, etc. when I pack.

I'll also make a list of toiletries, documents, electronics, etc. so that I don't forget essentials. I carry only makeup, eyedrops and such in the ziplock, then buy shampoo, conditioner and lotion at my destination.

I'll put a few large and small ziplock bags in my suitcase. I'll carry a fold-up market bag that fits in my purse. I use grocery store plastic bags or those disposable shower caps to keep my shoes separate from my clothes.

Here's the spreadsheet, and I do a "test pack" a few days prior to leaving.

PackingParis.png

Thanks very much for your spread sheet of examples. I remember well your original post years ago on slowtrav, and have benefitted from that advice for many trips since!!

Um...#goals!

This is fantastic!
I have nothing this impressive to share, but I recently learned about contact lenses cases being the perfect storage for eye cream or a salve you might want to bring. For a weekend a lense case is plenty of moisturizer and eye cream.

I also bring the Bandaid brand "friction block" in case my shoes start to rub. You can also use it in areas that your clothes rub. Like Cameron, I never buy shoes for a trip. They are always well-worn in and super comfy.

I feel like a whole new world has been opened up that I didn't know existed ;)

In normal circumstances, the aim is to pack at most 2/3 full on the way out, allowing space for 'goodies' to be added for the return trip. However we've often posted stuff back via Poste Italiane, with around 12kg being the largest parcel we've sent back. It's like christmas when the parcel arrives back a couple of days after we do. The last two trips have gone a little further, with one rucksack packed inside another (along with clothes etc.) on the way out, and an extra bag allowance purchased on 'that Irish airline' for the return trip. So on our last trip, admittedly an ill-disguised shopping trip to Torino, I came back with over 20kg more than I left with. When asked what we were doing in Italy I said 'Devo fare la spesa' (I have to buy the groceries :D )

We've travelled often enough (for holidays and work) that we don't need to make a list any more, but I do like to start laying the stuff out a few days before we leave, so I can allow for sub-conscious prompting.

How to save space / weight?
  • The modern trend for sturdy & wheeled suitcases is understandable, but this does add weight. If packing delicate items then accept that this is what it is, but if you can pack so the luggage can take a few impacts and don't mind carrying it (I still find full-length rucksacks reasonably easy to carry), then consider a lighter bag
  • Shoes. They aren't the easiest thing to pack and do take up quite a bit of space. At most these days I'll pack a pair at the bottom of the rucksack (for good padding) and wear another pair, e.g. 'city casual' shoes + light walking boots. On trips of a week or less, it's a single pair worn for the duration and no other shoes packed.
  • Apartments / washing facilities. We tend to pack a week's worth of clothes, fitting in a wash every ~ 5 days, but it would be easy to see how you could squeeze this a little more. At worst, it means buying the odd item whilst away. If staying in hotels, the costs of clothes cleaning is usually oppressive, and options outside are limited by the traditional prevalence in Italy for dry cleaning at the Lavanderie, with few 'American style' laundromats. This is slowly changing and these places aren't too inconvenient if you time the visit with something you can do whilst they're being washed. For the ultimate indulgence, some Lavanderie aren't over-priced, and getting a load of washing back, beautifully folded between crepe paper is nicely luxurious. Contrary to the advice below, I now plan to take 'just the right amount' of washing powder / liquid / tabs with us, to avoid the silly scenario of debating whether to take what's left of the Italian stuff we bought.
  • If I need it, can I buy it there? The answer is almost certainly yes, so learning to avoid packing for emergencies does save space. Stuff like Mosquito repellant / creams are much better in Italy than we could ever buy at home.
  • Did I wear that last time, or the time before? Some clothes get packed, but never worn. Remember which they are and leave them at home. Conversely the really flexible stuff always gets taken.
regards
Ian

Since I am not as adept as Cameron obviously is with spreadsheets, etc, I have a more analog approach:

I have a bed with rails along the top, which I use as a space to start hanging the things I think I'll want/need to bring
a few days ahead of time. I can see what looks OK with what, and how many of an item I have, etc etc. Then I can start editing as necessary, depending on weather and location. This also saves me from inadvertently wearing something I want to bring, and keeps it clean and tidy before packing.

I do agree with all, that access to a washing machine is critical for carrying on a small roll-aboard; also having an extra bag packed in roll-aboard for taking stuff home... there is a shampoo that I love that is cheaper in France, and hand lotion from anywhere is a nice souvenir, etc., so I always plan to check a small bag on the way back. This also helps with Ian's "can I buy it there?" strategy.

My next challenge is to learn to pack the roll-aboard with the last minute things I always seem to need and usually stuff into my shoulder bag. Trying to lighten that load and just take a largish purse. Still looking for the perfect bag for that!

I have found this stretchable clothesline very handy when drying undies and lightweight tops. It is plaited, so that you can tuck in and secure edges of the wet garment without needing clothes pins.

Magellans StretchyClothesline

Unfortunately, we forgot to take it on our last trip, which made the laundry detail much more difficult. We'll never forget to pack this in the future! ;)

I always rent apartments with washing machines, and make sure the landlord confirms it and I see a photo of it in situ!
No one at your destination cares if you wear the same clothes over and over, as long as they are clean and fresh!
I was once advised that if you will not use something you plan to take with you at least three times, then you don't need it.
Think bathing suits, snorkels, hair straighteners, etc.

I can't live without packing cubes. I used to be a pretty efficient packer, then I bought cubes to try. They can hold an amazing amount of rolled clothes. And they help keep the contents of my suitcase from exploding from me rummaging through it.

I like to bring a selection of scarves, so even if I'm wearing the same black top 1/3 of my trip, at least in photos it will look like I changed my clothes.

I'm going to look into the clothesline Joana mentions, staying in a tiny place in Florence this fall, and one will probably come in handy.

Another thing I've tried is the Reviver Swipes, they actually work.

I feel like a whole new world has been opened up that I didn't know existed ;)

In normal circumstances, the aim is to pack at most 2/3 full on the way out, allowing space for 'goodies' to be added for the return trip. However we've often posted stuff back via Poste Italiane, with around 12kg being the largest parcel we've sent back. It's like christmas when the parcel arrives back a couple of days after we do. The last two trips have gone a little further, with one rucksack packed inside another (along with clothes etc.) on the way out, and an extra bag allowance purchased on 'that Irish airline' for the return trip. So on our last trip, admittedly an ill-disguised shopping trip to Torino, I came back with over 20kg more than I left with. When asked what we were doing in Italy I said 'Devo fare la spesa' (I have to buy the groceries :D )

We've travelled often enough (for holidays and work) that we don't need to make a list any more, but I do like to start laying the stuff out a few days before we leave, so I can allow for sub-conscious prompting.

How to save space / weight?
  • The modern trend for sturdy & wheeled suitcases is understandable, but this does add weight. If packing delicate items then accept that this is what it is, but if you can pack so the luggage can take a few impacts and don't mind carrying it (I still find full-length rucksacks reasonably easy to carry), then consider a lighter bag
Ian

Check the weight on rucksack vs modern suitcases. My Mandarin duck plastic weighs less than a comparable size cloth bag. The weight of fabric sturdy enough to deal with the tender mercies of ramp rats is amazingly heavy. Hubby has a cloth Samsonite that weighs a full pound more.

When packing for 3 months that pound makes a full day's worth of clothing difference. I always buy excess baggage on the way back home. This trip an additional bag (30 kilos) was 70 GBP. If I was returning from Italy I wouldn't have bought excess baggage because it costs 40 euro to mail 20 kilos. It is Surface mail but I ship off season clothes or stuff I won't need for 10 to 12 weeks. UK doesn't have surface mail option anymore.

One packing tip. If you pack your clothes in the bags you get from the dry cleaners they don't wrinkle. I didn't believe it but it works. Evidently that little bit of slippage in the bags prevents wrinkles.

Do you have tips to share?

On a recent thread on FaceBook, a few of us exchanged info and humor on this topic. There was a thread on the old forum, but now let's revisit.

I travel with a wheeled carry-on for the overhead, plus an under-seat bag, so I am probably the most Type A about getting everything pared down to the most versatile basics. The other thing, when renting a vacation apartment, I always get one with a washing machine. That said, most of my pieces (except some jackets) can be hand-washed if I'm in a hotel. I pack enough clothes to get me through at least four days, but can mix it up enough to create different looks for weeks.

I begin with an Excel spreadsheet to make a packing list to build a mix-and-match travel wardrobe. I'll use an example that also works for men. I create a column for each topic:

1. Main item (pants, jeans, skirts, shorts, etc.)
  2. Tops (shirts, blouses, tees, tunics)
  3. Shoes (sandals, boots, flats, sneakers, etc,)
  4. Layers (jackets, blazers, cardigans, etc.)
  5. Accessories (scarves, belts, etc.)
So, if I have four pairs of pants and five tops to mix-and-match, then I have a possible combination of 4x5=20 outfits.

If I have three layers that work with all four pants with any top, then I now have 3x20 = 60 combinations.

I'll throw in a dress as an extra and I usually have 2-3 pairs of shoes, depending upon what I'll be doing. BTW, I don't buy shoes that have to be broken-in. If they aren't perfect when I try them on, I don't buy them, but I do wear my shoes for miles of walking before I travel.

A few days before my trip, I'll double-check the weather forecast and adjust by either switching sleeve length, reducing or increasing outer layers, changing shoe types, etc. I'll count out 7 days for my lingerie, add PJs, etc. when I pack.

I'll also make a list of toiletries, documents, electronics, etc. so that I don't forget essentials. I carry only makeup, eyedrops and such in the ziplock, then buy shampoo, conditioner and lotion at my destination.

I'll put a few large and small ziplock bags in my suitcase. I'll carry a fold-up market bag that fits in my purse. I use grocery store plastic bags or those disposable shower caps to keep my shoes separate from my clothes.

Here's the spreadsheet, and I do a "test pack" a few days prior to leaving.

View attachment 5293
Wow! I could never be that organized. What surprises me is that you get all that to fit into a carry on. I find shoes/ boots to be the killer. Even wearing the heaviest to travel. Then even toiletries packed in small containers take up space. Not to mention a jacket or sweater. I can't wear all my heavy clothes on the plane. Depends what season one travels.
Having said all this I plan (hopefully) to do carry on for October trip to England. That is if they don't have us flying naked by then.

Great thread.

I love packing cells and rolling clothes to fit more in and also less wrinkles.

As we travel as a family, each child receives two small cells, one for tops, one for bottoms and when we arrive they can "unpack" by throwing these, opened, into a drawer.

Also I carry my normal handbag in a Le Pliage onto the plane. That way I have maximum space to fit a cashmere scarf, headphones, snacks, passports and paperwork, kindle etc.

I always wear the heaviest things like boots and the heaviest jeans or skirt onto the plane.

Shoes have to be well loved and well worn in. Always. Normally I take 2-3 pairs including the ones I am wearing.

My clothing has a base colour. I like black and navy. So if I take black tops, skirts, jeans, jumpers I can mix and match up wth accessories; bright necklaces and scarves do the job. Depending on where we are going I take at least 1-2 scarves and 5-6 necklaces. All of my expensive items are taken as carry on.

We also try to pack only 50-70% full and always only ever take 2 medium suitcases for 4 people. Maximum. (unless it's a shopping trip to the USA then it's one medium suitcase each, but these are usually empty on departure.) Sometimes less if we are going to a warm place.

In Asia the cost of laundering is cheap and we do it about once a week, in the USA we try to stay in a place with a washing machine. Europe will be a new ball game though as the cars are so small I am considering taking only 3 carryon cases between 4 of us. How do you guys cope with this? (not having to elbow through the crowds at a baggage collection point sounds fabulous too).

DH also normally takes his golf clubs, so we can pad the travel bag out with swimwear and soft items on the way home.

We have often travelled to the USA with one full and two empty suitcases as we shop over there. When we traveled with babies we would have nappies and that would leave space for the trip home to fill.

I love the 'cell' concept - which really makes the 'cell owner' responsible for what goes in it.

Getting places with a washing machine makes a big difference in Italy, and as you'll be travelling in summer there should be no problem getting it dry. There are few 'american style' laundromats, though much more dry-cleaning in 'lavanderie'.

For shoes, consider going with 2 pairs with the option to buy another in Italy. Barring the smaller / narrower feet/shoes in Italy, I always like the selection on offer. Plenty of very helpful small shoe shops, but if you prefer somewhere where you can simply browse and try them on yourself, the leading national chain 'Scarpe e Scarpe' have plenty of out of town large stores.

For small weight savings, I like Lush shampoo bars, which take up far less weight than a shampoo bottle and would easily last one person an extended trip such as your's MTB.

A very good point about cars. For ordinary day trips no great problem, but with all the luggage (including golf clubs) there probably has to be an acceptance of those in the back to share the back seat with some luggage. Another reason to seek shorter transfers, as 1-2 hours might be tolerated, but 3-4 hours might get too uncomfortable. Often it's not certain exactly what car you'll get, only the broad 'class'. It seems this is the bigger constraint, rather than baggage allowance on the flight(s).

Would the kids consider rucksacks to carry (having in mind when you're using public transport)? You should get less grumbles about arms hurting with these. I still use my full-length one as hold luggage and even fully loaded, the weight is carried quite evenly. This would free up 2 'cells', but also is something they could take on the back seat of the car with them. No need to go full length - maybe a 40 Litre pack max? Perhaps one could double as a 'day pack'?

Worth focusing on the transfers on the 2nd half of the trip to aim for very simple transfers e.g. taxi to station, direct train service, taxi to next base. If possible, avoid changing trains, but this isn't always possible. When you do change trains, it's likely you'll have to descend 20-40 steps walk a short distance and then up the same number of steps to the outbound platform. If they then change the train to another platform you'll be cursing!

For Italian trains, there are luggage sections at either end of the carriage, plus overhead, though the configuration varies by train. In especially touristy locations, be wary of leaving valuables out of sight, because there have been plenty of reports of thefts from bags over the years. For coaches storage is in under the bus in compartments on either side. Ask the driver to open these if they haven't already done so, but if quiet they might occasionally suggest you bring it all on board.

For shoes, consider going with 2 pairs with the option to buy another in Italy. Barring the smaller / narrower feet/shoes in Italy, I always like the selection on offer. Plenty of very helpful small shoe shops, but if you prefer somewhere where you can simply browse and try them on yourself, the leading national chain 'Scarpe e Scarpe' have plenty of out of town large stores.

Oh yes! It's Italy! I will definitely be doing this...LOL. So maybe bare feet would be an idea :D

We also share shampoo/deodorant/soap/toothpaste, so only one of each thing.

DH is not bringing his clubs to Italy ;) he will hire some once here, or if he decides to bring them he has to fit all his clothes in the bag as well...

I am debating about whether one medium suitcase v two carry ons would be more economical with weight and hands free. Still deciding... (this is for only when I am travelling with two children on my own).

I am debating about whether one medium suitcase v two carry ons would be more economical with weight and hands free. Still deciding... (this is for only when I am travelling with two children on my own).

I just returned from traveling with my son, his wife, a 15-month old, a 3.5 year-old...and they had carry-on luggage that couldn't have been managed had I not been along, too. They had three rolling carry-ons, two underseat backpacks, a diaper bag, and a folding stroller (that was checked on the jetway when boarding).

I rolled my stackable carry-on bag with my underseat bag on top, and rolled my granddaughter's rolling bag because she couldn't steer it (though quite capable of pushing the four wheeled bag).

In hindsight, I think they would have been better off with one large bag in checked luggage and only their essentials in one combined bag at our seats.

Sometimes, children have to be carried -- Upon return, I carried my grandson and pushed my bags, while my daughter-in-law carried the sleeping 3 year-old and her backpack. My son had to pull two rolling bags, carry his backpack, and retrieve the stroller. It was too much!

Ours was a domestic cross-country direct flight, and it would have been much more complicated if we'd had to change planes for a connection.

Rolling bags can vary in weight. Mine (Tumi) is at least 1-2 lbs lighter than the bags my son's family used.

Layers!

Although it was a domestic trip, rather than European (this forum), traveling to the Bay Area of California required layers. I was in Berkeley for a few days and experienced temps from 50s-70s. In Healdsburg, the temps went up to 80s+, and in San Francisco, it was in the 50s-60s.

I wore Skechers slip-on black sneakers on the plane and for walking the SF Bay Trail (we walked 7 miles) with my friend. I had Cole Haan ballet flats and Munro black walking sandals in my carry-on -- all have been worn many, many times. I wore the ballet flats (these have also been to France and Spain) for dining with my friend, and the sandals for Healdsburg with the grandkids.

For layering, I used short sleeve tops with a silk/cotton sweater or a button-front blouse when needed, and if necessary, a top layer of a waxed linen jacket (similar to a Barbour, but in linen, the waxed fabric is water repellent and provides wind protection while being breathable).

Since I was with grandkids some of the days, I carried more tops than usual due to messy foods while caring for/carrying the baby around. My son's friends also had three kids who loved to pile on my lap, too. Knit tops roll up so easily for packing and take up little room.

I had plenty of extra space in my bags for bringing back two tops, a scarf and a necklace from shopping.

Packing depends a great deal on what kind of travel you intend to do etc. A one destination trip has different priorities than a multi-destination trip where you will be moving from place to place and therefore have to physically handle your bag much more.

I pack by weight. What I mean is that weight is my first criteria in deciding what to take. Whether for 3 days or 3 months, my list remains the same in 3 seasons. Only winter changes the list and I try never to have to deal with both winter and summer weather on the same trip.

My 3 season list weighs 5 kg/11 lbs. including the weight of my 29L backpack itself. My wife's is slightly less. On a one destination trip we will use a rolling carry-on and perhaps add a pound or two just because we can. When all you will do is roll your bag to the taxi and into the hotel elevator, weight is obviously less important than when you will be physically required to pick it up to get on and off trains or buses etc. repeatedly.

Most people will say they want to 'travel light'. But they tend to not define just what 'lightweight' actually means. Some people also think that to travel light you have to give things up and compromise. I don't look at it that way. First, lightweight to me definitely means under 25 lbs. in general and personally for me it means under 11 lbs. all in. But it does not mean giving up anything you believe you 'need' to take. It simply means packing smarter in terms of weight. So for example, a rainjacket can weigh 3 lbs. or it can weigh under 1/2 lb. Packing light simply means you find the lowest weight example of any item you consider a necessity. Even something as simple as a t-shirt can weigh 5 ozs. or 10 ozs. Those ounces add up!

There is one thing you can be sure of, if you don't know the weight of each item you pack, I can GUARANTEE you that you are packing more weight than you need to. It may seem a bit extreme to some to think of weighing everything or going to buy a new item and checking the weight of one vs. another but it is the only way to know you are packing as little weight as you can.

Comfort is the name of the game as far as I am concerned and even when you only have to lift your bag up a couple of steps onto a train, picking up 11 lbs. vs. 25+ lbs. makes a big difference in how easy life is.

Consider the 'Rule of 3s' when packing anything in multiples. In terms of travel the Rule of 3s says, 'one to wear, one to wash, one to spare.' Whether your trip will be a few days or a few months makes no difference. In fact, the longer your trip, the more sense the rule will make to you. No one can pack enough socks, underwear, etc. for a month. You have to wash things eventually. Just as you are in the habit of brushing your teeth at night, you simply get into the habit of washing a few things each night. It takes 5 minutes; you still have clean underwear every day and you are not carrying the weight of 15 pair!

Cameron, yes to layering! I always carry tights or leggings to wear underneath if it gets cooler and I can sleep in them too. Also as I feel the cold a merino wool thin layer works wonders and is not bulky beneath normal clothes.

Birkenstocks and Salt Water Sandals are awesome and always in my bag. I can wear these with a nice long black dress and jewellery and still look eclectically put together enough for dinner, but also be comfortable.

Cameron, I like your choice of shoes. A few years back I bought the Ecco slip-ons you once mentioned on ST and I just bought a pair of Skechers slip-ons you mentioned here for my travel to France in September. They are both very comfortable!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina