• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Packing tips

Skechers slip-ons you mentioned here for my travel to France in September. They are both very comfortable!

I'm glad you like those, too!

I wore my Skechers for a seven-mile walk on the SF Bay Trail. Without socks. No issues with my lower back, hips or feet.

Is it time for a new, updated thread on "stylish, but comfortable shoes" as we had before? That one made it to over fourteen pages! Time for an update? :D

I like the idea of an updated thread on comfortable and stylish shoes. I've been buying shoes online more recently for the vaster selection it offers and sometimes at lower cost than at retail store. The huge selection is nice but cumbersome to sift through. So it's nice when someone mentions a style that they've tried and worked, particularly for walking and travel purposes.

Cameron and Flennie, I love the Skechers. One review on Zappo's said they run small -- do you all agree? Thanks, Ann

I agree with @flennie - I love the pair of Ecco Gore-Tex slip-ons that @Cameron mentioned on ST. I'm also a big fan of packing cubes. I don't think I could travel without them now. I pack ALL electronic accessories (cables, etc.) I bring in my carry on in a cube to be able to easily remove for European transfer security screenings. I also follow advice I read I think on ST - bring some dryer sheets to mix with the dirtied clothes before you wash them to keep your whole bag fresher.

One review on Zappo's said they run small -- do you all agree?

I find I have to try on Skechers.

Last fall, I wore a pair that was suede and my usual size was too big, so I went down a half size. For these, I purchased my usual size, so compared to last year's--yes, these ran smaller than that pair, but not smaller than my usual size. However, my daughter-in-law's mother had to go up a half size.

I've packed for Paris and my wheeled carry-on weighs 21 lbs. I'm trying to decide if I can remove anything, though the weight is fine for me to lift into the overhead compartment of the plane. (Not the same packing list as above, but there are a few items from that list that are going. I'm not taking the Skechers -- I'm taking super comfortable dressier flats and sandals by L'Amour des Pieds, sold by Nordstrom, and the pair of Munro walking sandals that I linked to somewhere).

Hmm, a woman who had to go down a half size and knows another woman who had to go up a half size. Has there ever been a woman who admits to having to go up a half size and knowing a woman who had to go down a half size? Just kidding Cameron, couldn't resist.:D

Your 21 lbs. is pretty good by comparison to the average traveller. One area to save weight that people often overlook is the weight of their bag itself. If you provide a link to the carry-on you are using and its weight, someone may have an alternative for you to consider that weighs less.

As a guideline, I can tell you that I would not use anything that weighs more than 3lbs and that is why I don't like anything with wheels. The wheels and frame to support them simply add more weight than I am willing to carry. But I realize that not everyone thinks like I do. If it has to have wheels, then I would set the bar at 5lbs. maximum. Many wheeled carry-0n bags weigh as much as 8 lbs.

https://www.smartertravel.com/2015/05/03/10-ultralight-rolling-carry-on-bags-under-5-lbs/

I saw this advice on how often launder clothes.
Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 7.50.00 AM.png
From Good Housekeeping Magazine (not my usual reading material, but I was reading another article linked by a friend and started browsing the site).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina