• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Accommodations Paris apartment recommendation needed

JustTravel

1000+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
We are thinking of doing a side trip to Paris late April/early May from Brugge for a few days (3-5 nights). The apartment we have stayed the last few times is fully booked. We need a one-bedroom and would like a legal (registered) unit. Price is not much of an issue but would like like to stay close to the the city center ( arron. 1 - 6). Appreciate the help.

Have you looked at http://www.vacationinparis.com? We rented an apartment through them about 5+ years ago and were very pleased with the service and the apartment (the one we rented, on rue du Bac, isn't showing in their inventory now). They have options all over the city.

Happy planning!

Thanks, milgreen2 and Pauline.

Milgreen2, I called Vacation in Paris today and asked about the legal status of the apartments they offer. I was told that most of their apartments are not registered but it shouldn't be a problem. Hmmm......
The apartment you rented is no longer offered.

Pauline, I did check out the reviews for Paris but still looking at the various agencies.

I am checking out Citadines in St-Germain and Bastille. Also this one close to Place des Vosges.

Steve, a lot of it has to do with the comfort level we expected - rather personal, I think.

The apartment needs some TLC - door and faucet handles are loose, some light switches that don't seem to turn on anything. Lighting in the sitting room doesn't make sense. I took a plastic stool from the bathroom to put the lamp on (which was on the floor).The floor lamp in the same room would not turn on and there was no overhead light. Lighting wasn't very good for reading.

7ead4749-69bb-429e-afb5-107465118ec4.f10.jpg

photo from the website​

fullsizeoutput_83d.jpeg

I posted something about too many pillows earlier. We need some but there were too many of them. The white ones are from the bed (large pillows and no where to put them). The smaller ones we didn't need were put on the chairs.

IMG_5372.JPG

IMG_5373.JPG

The TV didn't work (needed reprogramming, or something) but wifi was very good.

The apartment was clean but the dishes didn't feel or look clean. It may have to do with the water, leaving some residue. The dining table is a folding table as shown in the website but flimsy - my knees kept hitting the table legs, water on the table several times.

The bathroom didn't work for us, especially the shower over tub - up four or five steps, then getting in from top into the slanted end of the tub, really not very safe for old knees. Getting in wasn't too bad for me but getting out when the tub was wet was hard and slippery.

The owner was easy to deal with but she was out of town while we were there. The gardienne (she was very nice) let us in and showed us the apartment but she didn't speak English and my French is very limited and rusty. She asked us if everything was okay (at least I think that was what she asked), and I just indicated that it was okay.

Last edited:
Overall, everyone benefits from honest reviews. And it's true that the apartment might be perfectly acceptable to someone else. But it's tricky to strike a good balance when reviewing on Air BnB or VRBO websites, as opposed to a forum like this.

If we've stayed someplace that could benefit from TLC, I will sometimes contact the owner or management company directly and offer a few suggestions for small changes that would have a large impact (making sure all the lights work, getting replacements for threadbare towels, etc) and for the most part they're appreciative.......on the other hand, who knows if they make any of those changes?

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina