• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Paris- May 8, 2016 - V E Day Question

chiaro di Luna

100+ Posts
I will be in Paris May 8th and 9th. May 8th is V E Day.
Will there be shops, museums etc open on both of these days in Paris?

The Time and Date website has some information - WWII Victory Day in France.

From their page: "WWII Victory Day is a public holiday in France so post offices, banks, and many businesses are closed. Restaurants and cafes outside tourist areas may also be closed. However, bakeries and some stores in Paris, as well as at airports and railway stations and along major highways, are open.

Public transport service schedules vary depending on where one lives and intends to travel. Roads may be closed for parades. This is particularly likely in the center of towns, cities, and near war memorials."

For museums, you may have to check their websites. I looked for the Louvre and it is open May 8.

In another thread, Dana said that France has 4 public holidays in May! In the UK there are 2 and I thought that was a lot.

Thanks Pauline. May 8th is a Sunday, so I am wondering if the closures apply to Monday May 9th.
I also saw somewhere that shops etc in France no longer closed the Monday following a public holiday. But I don't know if this is accurate.

Thanks Pauline. May 8th is a Sunday, so I am wondering if the closures apply to Monday May 9th.
I also saw somewhere that shops etc in France no longer closed the Monday following a public holiday. But I don't know if this is accurate.
In France, public holidays are taken on the day that they fall. If it happens to be a Sunday, Monday is a normal working day. So our 4 May public holidays are a bit of a damp squib this year, 2 of them are Sundays!

Thanks, just back from Paris. Many shops were closed Sunday May 8th, the holiday, open on the Monday.
I was in Beaune May 1st with many shops and restaurants closed and in Dijon on May 5th with several shops closed but restaurants were busy from late afternoon into the evening.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina